Automotive builds Got an automotive build you want to want to document? Post it here!

Mom's Mugen S2000 built

Old 06-21-2019, 04:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Mom's Mugen S2000 built

Quick Intro:

My name is Kei. Raised in Vancouver Canada, living and working at Hong Kong now.

I am in a family that love cars. How much love? Aside from me and my dad, my mom as well. My mother will only drive manual and will do small modification such as exhaust and tires.

My family is Porsche enthusiast, hence my user name. My father drives a FVD 4.2L big bore fully modified 996 turbo, is an absolute beast. My mom drives a Cayman GT4 with full carbon bucket seats. In Hong Kong, I also drive a modified GT2 spec 996 turbo as well and a modified Toyota Vellfire. It has full Brembo front and rear kit 380mm floating rotor, totally overkill but I love it. Those who know what Alphard/Vellfire is a top of the line Toyota luxury van. Very cool and popular in Asia.

So what does this have to do with anything?

Back in the summer of 2018, I was back to Vancouver to visit my parents. I fly back about 2 to 3 times a yr, just a little get away from Hong Kong which gets tiring when it's always a gogogo environment. Normally I would take either of the Porsche out for drives, because who wouldnt? I realized, since owning the GT4 new, my mom only put on 5800km in 2 years. That's equivalent to 3625 miles. She doesn't drive it, is a special car to her, and she wants to baby it. Instead everytime I am back, she let's me drive it, not even ask a single word where I will take it or how far I will drive it. As long as I want to drive it then is all fine.

So I feel guilty, because she owns this beautiful car which she only takes on special occasions. She let's me drive it whenever I am back while she doesn't. She loves convertible but dont want a third sports car. So being her son, I took her to see a S2000. To my surprise she loves it, the clutch travel is just right and she likes how it is nimble. Plus she loves yellow, she had a Boxster S and M Coupe in yellow before. So I decided to buy my mother a S2000 as a gift.

Obviously if its just a gift then there is nothing to post, and here goes along the mods I am doing to the S2000.

First the delivery photo.

2005 AP2 S2000, local in Vancouver, 1 ower, no accident, 40,000km or 25,000 miles. Same dealership that sold the car new sold us the car last summer, all service record, it's a gem honestly.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 06-22-2019 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:45 PM

I had to leave back to HK due to work so I actually never driven the car before. I purposely made a trip back home during late September before it was tucked away for winter. A very nice drive indeed. Not fast, but fun. S2000 doesn't feel planted, I assume because it is running on original tires back in 2005 and that's why. Everything else is perfect!!! The car's interior is absolutely mint.

So to preserve the car, first thing first, clear bar. Went to our local guy here to get a full frontal clear bra done. That's hood, bumper, fenders, and mirrors.

a good drive and wash before it came out again this summer.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 PM

2019 summer, great. I have great plans for this car. Yes I know is my mother's car technically, and is under her name. But I am sure a little improvement she wont mind.

The boy racer and mix and match mods/setup is no longer my style. I want something classier, not too outrageous so my mother can enjoy. My goal for the S2000 is to be similar to OEM but a bit more sporting. So Mugen rings the bell.

My cousin works at Vancouver Honda as a service manager, we always follow where he goes. So obviously the S2000 is in good hands.

Told him I bought a Mugen titanium dual cat back exhaust, and needed help for install. After market parts install back at the dealership professional, is the best.

Honds genuine oem CR front lip. fortunately the bumper is clear bra and the body shop used some ultra super glue to put it on so I dont need to drill the bumper. A fellow here on S2ki told me is possible so I give it a try.

Clazzio Sports oem seat covers, nothing special but yellow stitching to make it match. I love cars with colour matching stitching. All our Porsche have it, is very nice. So I did it with the seats cover as well.

Along changing a few parts, here are the pics.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 06-22-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:45 PM

I wouldn't call it Mugen S2000 if it is JUST an exhaust, that isn't fair.

So as of last night, I bought a brand new S2000 spec Mugen MF10.

17x7.5+52 front, 17x8.5+59 rear, with black center caps. I have to say I bought this at a premium. Dont ask, but I did. My cousin at Vancouver Honda is ordering a set of Toyo R888R for me. I have done extensive research between RE71R, R888R, 595 RS RR, and Advan A052. I know the A052 is the best out of them all, but I think price wise the R888R seems the best bang for the buck. So that is the current choice.

Along bought CR shift knob and CR shift boot.

Communicating with Kingmotorsports for Mugen lugnuts and their leather mugen 3 steering. But its red stitching which I dont think it matches, so I am thinking to buy it first and get it re-stitch to yellow. Make it a matching theme.

At ICB motorsports ordered AP2 Mugen Headers. Long story short, I placed an order with them for CE28N special S2000 Spec. 17x9 +63 front and 17x10 +70 rear, but now they couldn't get it and is a no go. So my $1000 deposit switched to Mugen headers

At the same time I placed a $200 deposit with John at Hytech, seem it's taking forever. So when it comes, it comes. For the time being, Mugen theme it is.

Also I want to take this chance to give a special thx to Tpolonyi, sold me a great Mugen exhaust and lots of great advice.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 06-21-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:29 PM

Good news today, the MF10 cleared custom as I did a FedEx priority international shipment from HK to Vancouver and arrived 2 days or so.

Waited since last September, unsuccessful to get a set of volks and making me moving forward with Mugen.

These are probably the last few sets of completely brand new S2000 spec MF10s.

at the same time, brought the S2000 to clear bra wrap the newly install CR Lip

Yesterday took about 2 hours along with a friend to install the Clazzio seat covers properly. Took the seat out, nothing scratched. I love the colour matching stitchings, but do think the seats dont feel as bucket as before.

Last edited by Kinesis 996; 06-24-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Moar pics of the Porsche!!
Old 06-24-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanna drop by and say you got a really cool family and great taste in cars.

Loving your modifications so far. The yellow stitching on the seats really completes the interior.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts

I'm here for the modded Vellfire pics.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:47 PM

Thank you, here are the vellfire mods and built sheet

Mods:
Brembo 6pot front/ 4pot rear 380mm floating rotors all around
Tanabe coil overs for height adjusting purposes
Michelin PS4 19inch tires
Works M8R 19x9.5 wheels square setup
LED tinted rear tail lights