Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Genesis G70 manual

Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Cool Genesis G70 manual

Behold, the last of the sport sedans with a manual, courtesy of Genesis - https://jalopnik.com/genesis-gave-th...ugh-1834844684

I don't get why automakers don't treat manuals as a premium option yet, given that they are really an add-on for a small set of the buying public, but from what I've read and watched, the smaller engine with the stick is a blast to drive. It's by all accounts a great car - would you pick one up over its competition just to have that third pedal?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Nuts. Put the manual in the turbocharged 6-cylinder trim level car not the four banger. That would be attractive if it could be easily modified.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
Nuts. Put the manual in the turbocharged 6-cylinder trim level car not the four banger. That would be attractive if it could be easily modified.

Yeah I am not interested in the base car. It was just featured in the comparo of the new 330i, Model 3 and this car. It beat the three series and has a decent interior but the engine sounds like it is not that great. I think a lot of what holds it back though might be the weight of the car. It sounds kind of heavy.

I'd rather get a 2 series with a stick because either the 230i or the 240i are supposed to be great to drive, and just deal with the lack of four doors. But it just me the wife and the dog, so that makes it pretty easy.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Hmm interesting situation when the stick becomes a cost options and not vice versa. Makes sense though, mechanical and hand wound watches cost much more than their digital counterparts.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Behold, the last of the sport sedans with a manual, courtesy of Genesis - https://jalopnik.com/genesis-gave-th...ugh-1834844684

I don't get why automakers don't treat manuals as a premium option yet, given that they are really an add-on for a small set of the buying public, but from what I've read and watched, the smaller engine with the stick is a blast to drive. It's by all accounts a great car - would you pick one up over its competition just to have that third pedal?
yes I would...all ****in' day long.

I'm willing to pay MORE for a manual. Every car we have has 3 pedals- we're manual snobs- civic, s2000, GTX, outback- all manual shift.
darcy
Old 07-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd pay more for a manual in pretty much any car, and I bet the types of people who buy a manual would also, by and large. I don't even consider most cars that don't have a manual option, and all you have to do is see how much of a premium manual versions of recent performance cars sell for (Pontiac G8, 2nd-gen CTS-V, MKIV Supra all the way up to manual Ferraris/Lambos).

Even for plain-Jane Accords, I've heard you basically have to special order them and wait because they're so hard to find on dealer lots. The people who are willing to go through that just to shift themselves would also likely be willing to pay a bit more.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-16-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
I'd pay more for a manual in pretty much any car, and I bet the types of people who buy a manual would also, by and large. I don't even consider most cars that don't have a manual option, and all you have to do is see how much of a premium manual versions of recent performance cars sell for (Pontiac G8, 2nd-gen CTS-V, MKIV Supra all the way up to manual Ferraris/Lambos).

Even for plain-Jane Accords, I've heard you basically have to special order them and wait because they're so hard to find on dealer lots. The people who are willing to go through that just to shift themselves would also likely be willing to pay a bit more.

What he said.

I would pay more for a manual, I just would not buy the G70 as my first choice just because it is a manual when I like other cars more.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd pay more, and like to see it on top level trim cars too!
Old 07-16-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

I'd pay more for a manual option, but I don't think it makes business sense to offer it on most cars. Manufacturers know their new car consumer and market. It's understandable why Porsche, Aston, and Lotus offer manual, but Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini do not.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd pay more for a manual option, but I don't think it makes business sense to offer it on most cars. Manufacturers know their new car consumer and market. It's understandable why Porsche, Aston, and Lotus offer manual, but Ferrari, McLaren, and Lamborghini do not.
Even when manual F430s, 599s, Murcielagos and Gallardos sell for tens of thousands more? Granted the newer paddle-shift transmissions suck less than those old ones, but I don't think that's the biggest reason.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Genesis G70 manual