S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official ITBs Thread***

Old 09-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ***Official ITBs Thread***

Please feel free to post you experiences and reviews/results so that I may update the information in this thread.

Note: While there is a lot of info here...I believe it is also lacking of a lot of info as well. I will be updating as often as I can.

Should be noted that all cars are different, and while one car may receive X amount of HP/TQ gains from a product...another may receive something more or even less. This is just to give those of us some insight into products currently available for the S2K, with what info we have on them so far.

Here is a great thread to look into for more info:Thread on ITBs

Here are some places where these systems can be bought:

Jenvey - Emerald Performance, FijiRacing, Competition Systems
Hayward/Jenvey - Hayward Performance
Toda - BulletProof Automotive , Go Tuning
TWM - TWM Induction
URGE - URGE Designs

There are other ITBs available for the S2K, but they essentially all are the same products. Jenveys have been proven to the best ITB set up for the S2K showing the best gains through out the entire rpm range. Very minimal if any top end hp will be seen with ITBs, however, the performance increase in the mid range out shines anything that can be had by a regular intake set up. The only issues with ITBs is that there performance is dependent on the weather, and the amount of air they are able to receive. Also a good tuner is needed in order to have the car start and run properly with these. Should be noted that 06 and up cars currently can't run ITBs because of the DBW system. You would need to convert back to throttle cable in order to run ITBs.

What is needed?
This is pretty much what is needed for you to run ITBs on your S2000. Obviously you need an the ITB system itself. A fuel rail is needed, but this is usually part of the ITB system at purchase. A fuel pressure regulator if not supplied with the ITBs will be needed, as well as bigger Injectors. You will also need a vacuum can, and all vacuum lines, but depending on your installer, this can be set up in many different ways. Some will say to update the fuel pump, but it really isn't necessary. The most obvious of all would be a stand alone engine management system. Don't half ass it and get a piggy back, I your going ITBs then make sure to get a stand alone ECU. Not as crazy a parts list as you would think huh? Don't forget that all this is nothing without a good tune.

Air Horns
There are many options to choose from, but aside from styling you can either go with long or short one. Longer air horns give you better mid range gains. The shorter air horns give you better top end gains.

ITBs

Jenvey ITB Video
Jenvey ITBs
- Review courtesy of wildcardtrd. Big thanks buddy.
Although technically the manifold does "bolt-on" to the head, that's as far as bolt-on goes. A standalone is required for optimal tuning and power extraction, as well as modification to the fuel system and an injector change. Huge increases (over 40rwhp at vtec engagement) in the midrange, unparalleled throttle response, and an induction howl that can be compared to a banshee with its ass hair on fire, this is easily the great googa mooga of intake systems
I'd like to add that Jenvey has the best throttle linkage, easiest adjustment, and best air horn design.

Toda/Tracy ITB Video
Toda/Tracy Sports ITBs
-Review Courtesy of medicalstudent. Thanks.
Includes: TODA ITBs, Toyota AE101 throttle position sensor, Nismo FPR, Earl's fuel lines. Requires a custom vacuum accumulator box, programmable ECU (AEM EMS or MOTEC ECU), and a good tuner. Like other ITBs, power is gained in the mid range. On a F20C, expect between 217-220 hp. F22C unknown. There is an unusual dip in power when VTEC engages, but only lasts for 100-200 rpms. Do NOT add ITB filters, you will lose 40-50 hp with filters. I cannot recall, but the one I bought was the 40mm option I think (either that or 50mm). These are thought to be derived from the similar ITBs as the one TODA used for the DC2R and the Toyota Corolla AE101.

TWM ITBs
TWM Dyno
Like other ITB systems a stand alone engine management is needed with a great tuner to get these running right. Amazing mid range gains as seen with all ITBs. TWMs dyno shows gains all the way to peak, but I believe that is mainly due to the tuning of the EMS over the factory ECU. Should be noted that many who began with this system moved on to another ITB set up. These have been said to show, while showing improvements, the lowest numbers out of all those available.

Hayward ITB Video
Hayward ITBs
turbo_pwrs Hayward Dyno
Basically identical to Jenvey ITBs. I was able to find some info posted by turbo_pwr a while ago. His cars stock dyno was 192hp. Then 212hp on the same dyno with Mugen Intake, ECU, Amuse Exhaust, HKS Header, and Toda Spec A Cams. After this he added a Toda race head, and the Hayward ITBs. On the first tune(which was basically tuned to just get the car running right) with the ITBs and Toda race head was 222hp. When he finally went back to finish the tune his last dyno tune showed 235hp and 168tq. His dyno is posted above for reference.

URGE Designs ITB Video
URGE Designs ITBs
One of the newer systems on the market. URGE ITBs on the left in the pic. Custom set up designed and tested by URGE Designs. A lot of R&D has gone into the developement of parts from URGE, and these ITBs are one of the results of the thorough testings. Information and graphs are up on their website. With comparisons to other ITB systems. If it's coming from URGE... you can't go wrong.URGE Designs
Below you will find Urge Designs MAP Block

URGE Designs MAP Block - $375
This is A billet MAP block for ITBS designed by Endyn & URGE designs
Designed to be plug n play. Should be able to disconnect stock hoses & sensors off of the manifold and mount to this.
Mount stock MAP or any MAP that is same dimensions
Mount stock Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
open 1/8" barbed fitting for fresh air for IACV
1/8" barbed fitting for fuel pressure
1/4" barbed fitting for brake booster
4 push fittings for hoses connected to each runner
Ships with 4' of nylon tubing
Mount underneath ITBs to block & Open bolt next to alternator that was used for stock manifold
There is a lot of aluminum and machine time. It is well designed, should save quite a bit on fabrication so there is a lot of value.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:03 PM

ITB Air Boxes & Filters

Typically air horns and boxes made to enclose the ITBs have been known to significantly decrease hp gains seen by the ITBs in the first place. Air filters are great for protecting your motor from dirt that could be sucked through the open ITBs. Boxes are great for the same thing as well as protecting the system from sucking in water. Boxes can be used along with other intake system to provide cold air to the ITBs, but also restrict the amount of air the ITBs can receive at a given time.

Air Boxes work best with some form of ram air system included with the set up. At speeds over 100mph there is a lot of turbulence inside the engine bay for the ITBs, and this is where an air box comes in handy. Combined with a ram air system it can provide enough cold air flow to the ITBs to have them running properly at all times.

C-West Box

M&M Box

TWM Box

Jenvey Filter

There are other ways to filter your ITBs, and many have created there own custom systems. I thought posting some example would be a good idea since these solution are usually cheaper, and often times look better too.

Custom Filters

More to come...
Old 09-24-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol it should. ITB's work best when you have a duct or some sort of pathway of air going directly at them, at the very least a vented hood otherwise they can fall victim to air deprivation and actually make performance worse. Furthermore filters have only been shown to loose lots of power, but like the ASM/Toda s2000 you can put something similar to a strainer around the air horns to prevent anything big from entering them
Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the OBX ones!?

Also should comment on long horns versus short. I forget the relationship. Long better for mid-range I think.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 PM

I think the longer horn just show greater results overall.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=478696

A must read for anyone considering ITBs or just wanting more information on them. The first 5-6 pages are very, very educational.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 57udl3y,Sep 24 2008, 11:34 PM
lol it should. ITB's work best when you have a duct or some sort of pathway of air going directly at them, at the very least a vented hood otherwise they can fall victim to air deprivation and actually make performance worse. Furthermore filters have only been shown to loose lots of power, but like the ASM/Toda s2000 you can put something similar to a strainer around the air horns to prevent anything big from entering them
This information is incorrect. The maximum amount of air the F20 can move, with a completely unrestricted inlet and outlet, is 325 cfm at 9000 rpm (1997cc*9000rpm)/2(4-stroke, convert to english units), or 81 cfm per intake port, which equates to a face velocity of 12.5 ft/s. There is more than enough inlet area under the bonnet to meet this demand.
The problem comes from heat management. Hotter air is less dense, so less fuel is being used, and not as much power is being generated, on top of the additional entropy in the system from having to draw the intake charge from a hotter air source, which reduces the thermodynamic 1st law (thermal) efficiency of the entire otto cycle.

Heat, not airflow, is why ITB's perform better with a vented hood or insulated cold air ducting from out of bonnet.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:20 AM

thank you i was misinformed by another itb thread months ago by someone how said they were going to build a pleth for the itbs because they couldnt get it enough air under the hood.

while we are on the topic (what a surprise on the official itb thread and on topics of itbs) if you scroll down to the bottom of http://www.c-westusa.com/aero/ap1.asp cwest sells an induction box for itbs to bring in cold air. Also i'm not sure if its the normal I.S. design asm hood, but one asm hood comes with a removable air duct located for itbs.

good info if you wanna make your itbs for effective
Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 PM

this forum just keeps geting better
Old 09-25-2008, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts