S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,569 Posts
Default Foods you love to cook and/or eat

Since I am retiring next week, I'll have more time to cook. I always have cooked, but not that much from scratch recently. The +1 loves soups, so I've broken out the crockpot and food processor for the first time in a long time. My first effort was minestrone, which was a big success. Early this morning I put on chicken soup. Another thing I'm making today is Eastern NC coleslaw. Can never find it out anywhere but there, so I got a recipe. Have some cabbage left over from the minestrone to make it with. This coleslaw is minced, not shredded, which is key. It's a bit sweet, but pretty basic. Looking forward to see if it turns out the way I remember.

I'm also on a panini kick. I bought a Cuisinart Griddler a year or so ago and used it some. Now I'm serious about it. Made a turkey/provolone with pesto and sundried tomatoes the other day. Last night I made a Reuben. Both were delicious!! The only problem with this cooking spree is that we may gain some weight. At least the soups will be not so fattening (I'm steering away from cream soups).

So...what does Y'all like to cook/eat? Any of you men cooking out there?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 152 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm more of the baker.....

Cheesecakes, oatmeal raisin cookies, choc chip cookies, snickerdoodles, 7 layer cookies, etc...

Plus anything I can throw on the grill (excluding roadkill)!
Old 12-29-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 706 Likes on 433 Posts

I used to love to cook, but lately not so much. Since there's only the two of us it is just not so satisfying. I use the griddler a fair amount of the time and we love turkey with provolone. We eat salmon filets often and chicken kabobs marinated in Thomas Sauce. I'd love to get some ideas for what others like. I make vegetable stew from time to time, homemade chili now and then and just this 'n that. Cooking can be a lot of fun and is certainly a way to use a lot of your time!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out chef john foodwishes on You Tube. A gf told me about it and there's some fun stuff and interesting recipes.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 3,510 Likes on 2,375 Posts

Well lately I've proven I can ruin a roast but with that not withstanding...
The short answer is "yes". I love "cooking" but I hate throwing something together for dinner.

For a long time we used to cook a lot of asian cuisine, the prep time is a killer though.
We've got no less than 7 Chinese and Thai cookbooks.
My son was introduced to stews by his girlfriends family which he loves so we have those more often now. ( waste of good food if you ask me)

Lately my most common dish is a Fruitti di mare with either angel hair or linguine.

With respect to soups, whenever we cooked a whole chicken,after carving it up, we would through the carcass in the freezer.
When we've accumulated several, they would all go in the big pot and get cooked down for stock.

Barb is into making bread. 2 years ago, I got her a Zojirushi bread maker.
We have yet to be able to make a proper cinnamon roll. Of course I'm spoiled.
My grandmother, who lived with us when I was a kid, was a professional chef.
Her standards were rather high.They obviously rubbed off on me.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:48 AM

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I cook only when I have to. I can cook, but Rick is better at it. He likes food more than I do, and is always thinking of the next meal. We eat the usual "home cooking" kind of stuff. He makes a mean chicken parm, a very good chicken broccoli ziti and has found a few interesting chicken and shrimp recipes. He's pretty good at soup too.

Mike/lovestodrive, you bake? You'd best bring some of those goodies to the next meet!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 AM

Received 2,593 Likes on 1,569 Posts

All I can say is WOW! I made the coleslaw and it turned out great. Just like I remember it growing up in Eastern NC. The recipe is from the Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC, about 20 miles from where I spent many wonderful times in Kinston with Auntie and my uncle. It is consistently ranked as one of the best BBQ joints in the U.S. (vinegar based). As I said, the cabbage is finely chopped, pretty much minced. Food processor works great to get the right consistency. Shredder (julienne) blade followed by a few hits with the chopping blade. Just add some sugar, mayonnaise and regular mustard. I started out with smaller amounts of each and adjusted to taste. Yummy! Here's the recipe:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/1...rth-every-cent

We are going to have it tomorrow with knockwurst and baked beans.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 1,410 Likes on 765 Posts

Thanks for that ^ link, Deb. I have eaten at the Skylight Inn and can attest to how good their 'cue is!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:43 AM

Deb, I can just see you now whipping up all these delectable delights in a cute little apron!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm fixing roasted salmon with peach chutney and crumbled pecans along with green peas and a spinach salad topped with goat cheese and raspberry dressing. I'm hungry.

Quick Reply: Foods you love to cook and/or eat