Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Home page editor?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Home page editor?

No offense to all the people who work so hard to bring fresh content to the home page every day, but the team really needs an editor.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Are you volunteering? We have a "proofread team" but with the language barrier, sometimes it's difficult to really understand what the original writer is trying to portray.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU,Aug 17 2010, 12:25 PM
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JulieU,Aug 17 2010, 02:25 PM
Are you volunteering? We have a "proofread team" but with the language barrier, sometimes it's difficult to really understand what the original writer is trying to portray.
I know it isn't easy, and I appreciate the effort that goes into the home page every day. I think the current first article really does need a rewrite, no offense to energetic intended. But his are not the only articles that would benefit from editing. Proofreading is important and I'm pleased to hear there is a team, but editing requires some rewriting.

As for volunteering, history has shown that I don't do well in positions of authority here, just ask Shelly. "A man has to know his limitations." (Name that movie )
Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

Enthralled!!

Yeah, see I'm no good at rewriting or even writing for that matter, but I can sometimes help with spelling and grammar/punctuation. We could use someone who is good at writing (perhaps even creative) and who can spare a few minutes each day or so to proofread or even suggest rewritten text for the home page articles.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Magnum Force
Old 08-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks all Greek to me anyway.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

No offense taken LB, but before I say anything else, I must add here that Energetic has been doing a great job and thanks for recognizing our effort.

The front page has never been as active, and full credit to energetic and the rest of the team for all their work.

I'd like to believe that S2KI has one of the most vibrant and active Home Page's of any community out there, bar a few. I can't think of any other organizations other than BMW CCA, MBCA, PCA and other such organization with manufacturer support that are better, for one reason. They have paid qualified staff and an affluent membership that supports the expenditure.

The question really becomes one of quantity versus quality. With an online blog, quality is sometimes sacrificed at the altar of pumping out content. A blog (like our home page) cannot risk slowing down as its readers will lose interest. I'm not aware of other auto related blogs you follow, but the quality of their content is roughly the same. Spelling errors abound as do grammatical ones. I'm not stating an excuse here (as there is always room for improvement), nor am I in any way, shape or form trying to rebut your opinion, just stating facts.

Please understand that this home page is still in its infancy. There is only one direction we can grow in, and that is upwards. Unkind comments have been made by several folks commenting on the articles who sometimes hide under an alias, but that is the nature of this task that we have undertaken. Bouquets abound as do brickbats. This effort is completely voluntary and we do what we can within the constraint of duties at work, home and within our communities.

Constructive criticism (such as yours) is needed and welcome. Please understand that we are young and learning. We may falter but our spirit is unfaltering. We hope to some day live up to the high journalistic expectations of valued members such as you, until then please bear with us as we keep doing our bit for the community. I trust that this post has not caused you any offense, as that is not our intent.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by energetic,Aug 17 2010, 04:43 PM
Looks all Greek to me anyway.
in which case it looks all Hindi to me
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I personally feel that the people involved have done a bang up job for s2ki and the frontpage visitors have increased dramatically. The regular article creators are energetic, aashish2, Onehots2k, with JulieU, magician, Saki GT being our reviewers. Countless CO's have submitted ideas and regular members have contacted the guys and gals to ask if their ideas or articles would be worthy of frontpage material. That is still a head shaker for me, because I think why wouldn't your personal S2000 experience be worthy of the frontpage.

Each of the admins have their niche on s2ki and working with the guys and gals on the frontpage is my pet project, along with banning people is what I enjoy.

These people are members of s2ki and they are willing to volunteer their personal time to create ideas and articles for the frontpage. We could maybe pay for bloggers to whip up articles, but I feel the people we have working on the frontpage project are extremely dedicated, intimate with the S2000, the site, and passionate about the community as a whole.

We think we are trying quite hard. If you all could see the news forum we have, the ideas and articles in the works are just crazy. I am quite blown away.

All the article creators have their own twist and I think that is what makes things interesting. For someone whose first language is not english, I think the other folks involved are doing a decent job.

We will continue to work through some hurdles and see where we end up. In December/January, when we have completed a year of the current project we will see where we are at. At this point 160 articles have been created and posted on s2ki's frontpage. I wonder how much we owe these folks for their work and time.

Quick Reply: Home page editor?