Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Do people actually read what others have posted?

Old 08-12-2002, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do people actually read what others have posted?

Seeing the number of "spark plug recall" threads started in the past two days, I came to the conclusion that many members of this board actually don't read what others have posted. They simply log on, post their message, and then disappear. My guess is that these people get their kicks from starting new threads. I can understand people coming on and asking the same question that was asked 6-months ago, but how could anyone not notice that there is already a thread about the same topic at within the top-10 of the most recent posts? I can understand duplicate threads when the "search" capability was broken on this board, but lately, the search has worked just fine -- and I am not even talking about having to search to see if the topic was covered because it is right on top.

So how can we make people actually read other people's posts before they submit their new threads? Do we need a more intelligent "post new thread" engine that actually looks at the "Subject" field and report back that "There is another thread on this topic, would it be more appropriate to add your comments to the existing thread?" and force people to read other posts before they start a new thread.

Alternatively, the moderators have to pay more attention on duplicate topics and try to squash the late-comers before they take off with a life of their own. Just like the moderators routinely move threads from one forum to another, they can monitor the posts and lock threads that are duplicates -- remember the number of S2000R threads that existed at one time? Now the same is happening with this "spark plug recall" notice.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:47 PM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Just to prove that people read them I thought I would respond to yours. I thought the same thing but if you look a lot of them are in the different regional forums so they are sort of doing local versions of the main thread(s).
Old 08-12-2002, 05:02 PM

Thank you. You are probably one of the few who actually read what others have posted

Actually I was only talking about the "S2000 Talk" forum, the main one. Right now, on the top of the most recent threads, there are the following:

Spark Plug Service Bulletin from AHM (started 7/02 07:37PM)

spark plug TSB is now a recall (started 8/10 11:25AM)

Product Update notification: s2000 Spark Plugs (started 8/12 4:25PM)

How can anyone not see that there is an on-going thread about the same topic?
Old 08-12-2002, 05:20 PM

The "spark plug" thread is not the only topic. Oil changes, tire wear, rear plastic window, break-in period, etc.. Plus so many more. I know I am guilty of some of these as well. I try to keep an open eye to the topics.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:58 PM

Of course not. How many "what's the best exhaust" threads have there been already? Too bad they don't make bulletin board software that can look for all the similar subjects and present this to the user as an option when you post a new thread before it gets posted. Kind of like a "are you sure you want to post this where there are the following threads that exist..." Now, that would be cool!
Old 08-12-2002, 09:59 PM

can someone please start up a "whats the best intake" thread please