Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Introducing Infinite Scroll - Please Share Your Feedback!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM
IB Staff

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by C4vettrn
Unable to view any post in the classifieds. If I scroll towards the bottom of the page I get a gimps of a pic on the very right of my screen ?
Can you please share a screenshot of what you're seeing? Also, please let me know what browser you're using as this will help us isolate the issue faster.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2017, 07:01 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Not a fan

I don't have anything positive to say about the new features. If I was a contributing member, I'd really be upset. All I've invested here is some of my time, I'd probably be better off not spending so much time on forums such as this one anyway so I suppose in that light there's a positive, lol. Glad to find out these features can be turned off although it sounds like that still doesn't return things to "normal". Hopefully that will be a possibility at some point.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 AM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I don't have anything positive to say about the new features. If I was a contributing member, I'd really be upset. All I've invested here is some of my time, I'd probably be better off not spending so much time on forums such as this one anyway so I suppose in that light there's a positive, lol. Glad to find out these features can be turned off although it sounds like that still doesn't return things to "normal". Hopefully that will be a possibility at some point.
If you don't mind me asking, are there are specific dislikes of the new features that you can share?
The following users liked this post:
ScottJ (08-19-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Jason
If you don't mind me asking, are there are specific dislikes of the new features that you can share?
Of course. Simply put, I find the seemingly endless scrolling irritating. Scrolling into a totally different thread is also weird and frustrating, especially if I wasn't paying close attention to what was happening in my browser. Generally speaking, I like the user experience typically offered by traditional internet forums (enough so that I've been managing one myself for over four years now). If I wanted an experience that was more similar to other forms of online social interaction I simply wouldn't spend time on forums such as this one. Personally, I like being able to work my way through "chunks of posts" as opposed to scrolling and scrolling. In addition, quite often I prefer to use the regular site interface in my iPhone's Safari browser (as opposed to the mobile version)— doing so, I'll zoom the screen in on things that I want to take a closer look at. This isn't possible any longer with the infinite scroll as the ads cover everything up under those circumstances. I'm not complaining about the ads, but rather the way that they now behave with the new feature activated.

The above comments are only intended as constructive feedback. As mentioned, I run a forum myself. I understand and appreciate the time and effort that goes into keeping this place up and running (while trying to juggle your needs with those of your site's members). Thanks for asking.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:49 PM
IB Staff

Of course. Simply put, I find the seemingly endless scrolling irritating. Scrolling into a totally different thread is also weird and frustrating, especially if I wasn't paying close attention to what was happening in my browser. Generally speaking, I like the user experience typically offered by traditional internet forums (enough so that I've been managing one myself for over four years now). If I wanted an experience that was more similar to other forms of online social interaction I simply wouldn't spend time on forums such as this one. Personally, I like being able to work my way through "chunks of posts" as opposed to scrolling and scrolling. In addition, quite often I prefer to use the regular site interface in my iPhone's Safari browser (as opposed to the mobile version)— doing so, I'll zoom the screen in on things that I want to take a closer look at. This isn't possible any longer with the infinite scroll as the ads cover everything up under those circumstances. I'm not complaining about the ads, but rather the way that they now behave with the new feature activated.

The above comments are only intended as constructive feedback. As mentioned, I run a forum myself. I understand and appreciate the time and effort that goes into keeping this place up and running (while trying to juggle your needs with those of your site's members). Thanks for asking.
Thanks for the detailed feedback! We'll take this into consideration as we further iterate on the feature. For the related threads, we plan to roll out an option in the near future that will let you disable them entirely.

Regarding the ads you mentioned you see on mobile, please try logging in if you haven't already. This should decrease the number of ads you see per page and allow you to use the site as you have previously. If not, can you send me a screenshot of what you see on your iPhone even after logging in?
Old 08-10-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

I am having a hard time getting use to this new setup.
I have already posted in the wrong threads twice when I was clearly in the right thread it jumped me to the next when I clicked reply.
So far I dislike the new layout.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do I turn the features off?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:19 PM
IB Staff

Originally Posted by herap1
Where do I turn the features off?
You can disable infinite scroll on your User CP's Edit Options page. Just change the Forum Skin option at the bottom of the page to "Classic Next Gen," click Save, and you'll be all set.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is all cool and good stuff guys, but you need to concentrate 99% of your energy on how you messed up the PM threading system and fix it. It's junk now.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

It's getting harder and harder to stay here. It seems to me people are leaving in droves. These changes aren't helping in my opinion.

Who was asking for "Infinite Scroll"? Seems to be a resource hog as well and load times are longer.

Quick Reply: Introducing Infinite Scroll - Please Share Your Feedback!