Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

(nearly) All The Answers To Your V4 Questions

Old 07-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default (nearly) All The Answers To Your V4 Questions

Guys and Gals

I have hassled the admins on your behalf for all the answers below over the past week, so we can get a definative answer out on most things. I hope this helps as a useful reference point for you all. I think I have covered just about everything asked. NOT EVERYTHING is answered, we are still waiting for some answers as things get investigated/decided etc. Please bear with us.

Cheers
Ian

The Questions!

Why change to V4? It seems to have torn down a great sight and made alot of trouble for everyone. Almost all are asking why the new version doesn't do all the things they grew to like in the old version.
The change to v4 was designed to accomplish a number of goals which are not clearly appearant to the general public:

Better administstive control, more fine tuning or accesses and permissoins. Virgin code base that be continually upraged without as many prolems. vBulletin was a dead end, we needed an alternate, V4 was dictated by adminisration and operational requirements to fix the many site features Our members pay for.

V4 is very much a work in progress and it will rapidly imptove over the next few weeks as we get more and more accomplished. The site is raw right now and that's why it's beta. The option is for us to shut it down for another week if it's too unrefined for you right now. - We're sure you don't want that!

Some Usernames are not working - this may stop people logging in...
Users with characters in their username are having trouble being recognized by the new V4 software. So far, characters like ! $ ' ? " are not being recognized. So, if you know of a user with this issue, please have them contact Hondagal (hondagal@s2ki.com or support@s2ki.com) and she will remove the characters and they will be allowed to log in.

Buddy List/Ignore List - Lost my old one, can i get it back? When?
Done

Will car info and location info be displayed underneath Username/Avatar?
Done

Can we make the new PM's link bolder when new PM's are there?
You really think that's gonna help? Turn on the PM popup function. If popups are blocked, unblock them for s2ki.com. The note now also goes bold Done.

Purchase/renew membership - when will it be up?
All memberships expiring between March and July we're extended through the end of July. I should have it back together by then. MEMBERSHIP NOW FIXED AND OPEN

Flood control limits, what are they for each kind of user?
15s for Members. Guests 30s. This may change.

Do different level members get different sized email boxes and photo albums?
Yes.
What are they?

Date of first post - can it be displayed on the thread list, rather than mouseover?
Done

Can users edit their own topic titles please?
Members Can

Will there be different skins? when?
Yes, last on the list and when there is nothing more important to do. Volunteers welcome

Will Ownership status be shown?
Done

Will lightbulbs be back to show whos online
Yes, one day

Site stats, will they be back?
Yes, one day

How do i get fast reply to always appear?
In MyS2K under Board settings, there is a check box to have it always open as default

Anti Caps in Topic is annoying - e.g. British GP becomes British Gp. AMG becomes Amg FAO becomes Fao etc. Anti shouting if ALL caps is ok, but can we remove or stop it being so strict?
Done - this is now switched off - we'll see if it causes problems

When is spell check coming?
Done

When will Banners be back?
They are back! www.s2ki.com/ads

Link to sponsor's list?
Sponsorship has changed, we now have Vendors see https://www.s2ki.com/ads/

Main menu bar on every page please?
I'm not sure I like that idea - it is now on every forum page

Have some Avatars been lost?
Yes, but only from the original avatar gallery, no custom ones. I'm not going looking for them. Mines gone too but I'm not crying about it.

Guests cannot post in For Sale forum - new rules?
Guests and Owners are the same thing right now. At some point in the very near future I will split off the Owners into their own group and they will get access

Usernames with apostrophe's and other punctuation in will not work.
This is being looked into - so far we have changed usernames for those who have contacted us, we are looking at how we can contact the rest through email and change their username 100 users out of 30,000 are affected. 4 have reported the problem so far.
It also seems there is other punctuation problems in usernames - N-a-$-t-y for example it says he doesnt exist - he does, but hasn't logged in for a while

Smilies wont work in sigs?
That's intentional. Smilies in sigs are not parsed. They incur a processing overhead that is too large. If you want the smiley in your sig you'll need to use an IMG tag. Parsing smilies adds 2 queries to each post.

Report button and reply button are close together, can they be moved?
I already added spacing. if you can't hit the right one now then I dunno...

I cannot activate my member email.
New email system now in place, should all be working, if yours isnt email support@s2ki.com

Who's allowed avatars?
Everyone - only Members allowed Custom Avatars

Who's allowed sigs?
Everyone

The Upper Right Hand Image!, The S2K international image is misaligned in IE

Edit button missing from older posts, for some users (Guests so far) see This ?
Now fixed Guests can edit older posts too.

Is the site slow?
The issue has been the database. We have made big improvements but there is still some way to go. The original and primary developer of the forums software is currently working on optimizing things for us. Sometimes it's good to be big

http://buyersguide.s2ki.com/index.php is gone - is it coming back?

In the -My S2K- section, "Edit Ignore List" (on the left menu) in bold, no matter what.
Fixed

In the -My S2K- section, "Edit Ignore List" (on the left menu) in bold, no matter what.

When you click on "Print this topic" and the thread contains text with URL's as links it goes strange - see this: Normal: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221310 Print View: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=P...&f=129&t=221310

Photo Albums
Are all thumbnails done? I still have some big pics
All thumbnails Should now be fixed

Can we have folders and sub folders?
Not an option in this or the next release of the gallery software that I know of. I will apply pressure for them to add it though.

Have some pictures gone missing?
None that I know of. Images that were shown as missing have been removed. It is possible. The old gallery's database was a disaster and I'm surprised it worked at all. It had to be repaired by hand. some things were orphaned, others widowed but 99.9% of it should be in tact.

Space for pics, wasnt members unlimited?
Well there is no such thing as "unlimited". There is the space we have and we don't or at least haven't said "you have x amount of it". Some use more, some less. However with v4 we have added some caps to better manage the space we have available. It is finite. When you go to Your Albums it will tell you how much space you are using in total. How much is that? The limits are currently set at 1GB for Members, 4GB for Gold Members. We will adjust these caps from time to time as space permits.

Remove the need for caption and description when uploading photos?
Fixed

Photo's button to view a user's photo album?

Cannot post pics easily in a PM

Cannot post pics from private albums - they have to be public

Can we make uploading easier - multiple files?
Done

[/photo] tag in existing posts creates weirdness in posts - can all [/photo] tags be automatically removed from existing posts?

Private Messaging
Is the PM tracking option still available?
You have it, it's just not the default. If you want read receipts you need to check the option. Most PMs by far never use this function. If it's important, check it.

When you delete tracking for an unread message does it cancel the message itself or just the tracking?

When PM'ing someone from a thread, the thread subject is not automatically filled in for you, can this be changed back?

PMing multiple recipients (cc does not appear for members in the PM page? Appears for AE (CO/Mod), and w1ngman (Gold) but not for moparacka (Member) for example

PM boxes limits what are they?
Guests 100, Owners 1000, Members 5000, Gold Members & Vendors 10000, Mods CO's Admins 50000
Need to check these amounts above are correctly installed, some reports of being incorrect.

Search Funtions

When will search be running?
It is running, for the equivalent of Advanced search use the Search Button at the top and click More Options button. Also if you use + in front of all your search terms the results will be better. Right now an "OR" is the default, krazik is looking at changing the default to "AND"

Will there be advanced search?
There is - Click the Search Button, then the More Options Button - The old advanced search is back!

Search for all users posts button on messages, is it coming back?
It exists, click on the user's username to get their profile, and it is displayed there

Will we have a todays active posts or New posts?
Click New Posts next to Assistant at the top of every page

Subscriptions and Email notification

How to unsubscribe from a Forum/Thread?
In MyS2K

I have so many threads that I have in my CP. Even ones that have been dead or closed since the board came back up. How do I remove them? They have a box to check, but nothing to delete them
You can't. It is a list of the active threads you've posted in (akin to search). If you posted you posted and it will show up in the list. We will implement an option to reorder the items in MyS2K so you can shift those to the bottom but it's not anywhere near the top of the list right now.

When will subscriptions and email notifications be working properly?
Should now be working
Old 07-20-2004, 12:15 PM
Administrator

If you have any feedback ref the above Q&A's please let me know by posting here
Old 07-21-2004, 04:08 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

OK...good progress on resolving some of the issues, and I think peeps are getting more used to the new site. Two biggies that are still on my list are: 1. being able to turn the email notification off so I don't get all those emails for new topics; and 2. having my buddy list display on MyS2K page showing logged on status. I REALLY miss the buddy list there.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Email notification for subscribed topics and forums was turned off yesterday. You should not receive notification emails unless you specifically choose to receive them for a thread you've posted in (in your post options).

I'm currently working on a very big back end system to handle memberships and the new sponsorship programs. It's a big ass bit of software with a fairly complicated workflow. Once I've got it done then a lot of things will come together in that area pretty quickly (memberships, email activation, etc.). I'll also have a whole lot more time to attack the other issues since this one has been eating up 12-14 hrs a day.

My most immediate priority after that is to go back to the Gallery and fixup all the issues there. I need to have this thing done this week and it's getting there.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 21 2004, 07:40 PM
Email notification for subscribed topics and forums was turned off yesterday. You should not receive notification emails unless you specifically choose to receive them for a thread you've posted in (in your post options).
I don't get email notifications for some reason. I have it check in options, and when I made this post I'm making now, I have checked " Enable email notification of replies? "

Shouldn't I get them then?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:40 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your big ass update Erik
Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

WOOHOO!! Thanks on the email notification fix!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aquila... I was reviewing this, and I see two questions (that have been asked multiple times) omitted...

-When will we be able to upload multiple pictures at once?

-PM'ing multiple members from your BUDDY LIST?

plus... I still can't activate my email! it takes me to the forum page everytime I click it
      Old 07-22-2004, 01:48 PM
      Administrator

Joe - see my quote below....
      [QUOTE=AquilaEagle,Jul 13 2004, 09:23 PM] Buddy List/Ignore List - Lost my old one, can i get it back?
      Old 07-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 21 2004, 07:40 PM
      Hmmm, don't know why, but I'm still receiving these... 30+ some today alone. I must be special

Quick Reply: (nearly) All The Answers To Your V4 Questions