Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Paypal Invoice Requests, and the users that ask for it

Old 05-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paypal Invoice Requests, and the users that ask for it

I was asked to send a paypal invoice for a item I was selling and told the buyer that I'm not a business and to use the good old fashion paypal payment.

Never heard anything back from that user.

I believe this is a new scam of some sorts. As my friend was also asked to send a paypal invoice for something he was selling as well. Not sure how wide spread this is but not a bad idea to educate the sellers/buyers on the fourm.

I did a quick google search and this came back:

Asking for a PayPal invoice is the first step of a common scam.

The seller sends any response at all to the buyer's email, now the buyer has the email address to send a very real looking but nevertheless FAKE email telling the seller that he has been "paid" but the funds are "on hold" until a tracking number is provided to the buyer.

The seller ships the item without ever receiving any money.

Do not fall for that scam. Just follow the instructions in the first response to complete the UnPaid Item process, unless you have verified in your PayPal account that you have a payment and you see the OK To Ship sign on the payment.

Do not click on any links in any emails.

I'll be happy to pass this person's username/info to a moderator.

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I send paypal invoices constantly. It's how you request a certain amount for selling a part. I'm sure there are cases of someone doing that however if you just check your paypal to verify the funds are there then you are set.

99% of the time I would imagine it would be someone just wanting an invoice so they can pay for the part you are selling.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I send paypal invoices constantly. It's how you request a certain amount for selling a part. I'm sure there are cases of someone doing that however if you just check your paypal to verify the funds are there then you are set.

99% of the time I would imagine it would be someone just wanting an invoice so they can pay for the part you are selling.
Don't see why this is so different then just telling the buyer to send $X amount of money. Seems like a extra step for nothing.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When buying an item from a retail store or whatever, I like having them send an invoice. Idk, just feels better than sending money I guess. However, a personal account I wouldn't do that.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:01 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Never trust the random emails that say they are from paypal. Paypal does not put funds on hold till a tracking number is provided. Sometime they are on hold as they transfer accounts but it still shows in your balance. Moral is if it doesn't show in your paypal balance in your account they didn't send shit.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jezek
When buying an item from a retail store or whatever, I like having them send an invoice. Idk, just feels better than sending money I guess. However, a personal account I wouldn't do that.
There's something suspicious asking a random seller to send it via Paypal invoice, not just me but another member on here had the same request (different user).

Just making it public in case there's more of "this" happening and its a scam attempt
Old 05-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I think for anyone it's very common. I'd rather be sent an invoice always. No confusion what you are paying for as in the invoice you write description of item you're selling.

It's one of the main features on PayPal. "Request money"
Old 05-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Never trust the random emails that say they are from paypal. Paypal does not put funds on hold till a tracking number is provided. Sometime they are on hold as they transfer accounts but it still shows in your balance. Moral is if it doesn't show in your paypal balance in your account they didn't send shit.

Except for e checks. Those take a few days to clear into a PayPal account.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iDomN8U
Originally Posted by Jezek' timestamp='1431730052' post='23614526
There's something suspicious asking a random seller to send it via Paypal invoice, not just me but another member on here had the same request (different user).

Just making it public in case there's more of "this" happening and its a scam attempt
yesterday was the first day I have dealt with a paypal invoice (was a buyer) and I believe it would protect both the buyer and seller more. as you have it in a more formal/traditional view of what exactly youre paying for. the items can easily be listed for their exact individual value with part numbers (where applicable). that way its not a matter of trying to protect yourself with just writing everything in the comments section.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:22 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I buy items from people I usually ask them to send me an invoice and list everything that is being sold. I like this because I have documentation from the seller of what I bought so if something ever goes wrong with the transaction I have it has back up for my case.

Quick Reply: Paypal Invoice Requests, and the users that ask for it