Site Info Open forum for the discussion of the S2K International site and organization. If you like what we're doing, post it here. If you don't, post it here too. Get answers to site related questions.

Photobucket ransom demand

Old 07-14-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Photobucket ransom demand

Posted this yesterday on the UK forum-

Having logged on this morning I find my photos no longer appear on the web site, why? Because photobuckets free hosting service has suddenly without warning been ended.
To be allowed to continue using photobucket it will now cost $39.99 per month. It seems that advertising revenue must be dropping.
Why photobucket hasn't allowed existing uploaded pictures to be posted and charge for those uploaded from today onward can only be a matter of pure greed, extortion and blackmail..
This is a ransom ware type action, "pay up or the hundreds of pictures you are sharing on web sites will never be seen again."

I will probably switch to another hosting service and pay for the privilege, but after the shoddy behavior of photobucket I will never use then ever again, even though it will mean hours of transferring the images, but sifting through S2Ki for my posts with pictures will be totally impractical so that useful content will be lost forever.

I would urge the owners of the S2Ki to protest to photobucket and demand existing photos uploaded be allowed to be shared, this action is disgusting.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:26 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc

I would urge the owners of the S2Ki to protest to photobucket and demand existing photos uploaded be allowed to be shared, this action is disgusting.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

They're services went downhill over the past few years, it used to be intuitive, quick, and easy to do multiple things, resize, change settings, move from one folder to another, upload, copy links etc. They made everything harder over the years and made it so you're more likely to click on an ad. Very annoying, haven't used them in over a couple years due to that, now this, psh.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Imgur on other sites. It's free, so may be another option for you?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by HatTrickHokie
I will be using other sites, but the big point is the millions of forum users on thousands of forums around the world have now had archived posts that need those photos are now rendered useless.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:52 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Deleted all my photos and then my account.. their site was pure crap the last 8-10yrs.
Was using google picasa but they now hide the direct linking addresses..
Oh well, back to printing pictures off the disposable camera!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
I will be using other sites, but the big point is the millions of forum users on thousands of forums around the world have now had archived posts that need those photos are now rendered useless.
Great point, thanks. I am new here and have noticed that while doing some research.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HatTrickHokie
I've had issues using Imgur on forums with a classifieds section. They (imgur) weren't allowing direct image hosting for some reason.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Eff PhotoBucket.

Unfortunately, I think this is just the first of many. There is no such thing as "free" anymore. I suspect all of the "free" image hosting services will begin charging in some form or another.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:18 PM

Well they rather fu*ked up your progress thread, OK if they feel the need to start charging for their "service", but a before and after cut off date would have been fairer than a blanket pay up or shut up attitude.

Quick Reply: Photobucket ransom demand