S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Site Info (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/)
-   -   Site maintenance this coming weekend (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/site-maintenance-coming-weekend-270853/)

cthree 02-22-2005 08:52 AM

Site maintenance this coming weekend

I will be taking the site offline this coming weekend to repair and rebuild the search database server. I will be running many very "high-cost" processes and require the databases be idle. FYI.

AquilaEagle 02-22-2005 09:24 AM

Thanks for the notice Erik - any idea what kind of time?

cthree 02-22-2005 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle' date='Feb 22 2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the notice Erik - any idea what kind of time?

Unfortunately no. It will be either Saturday or Sunday and depends on how quickly things work out. The database is huge to it can take a vary long time to do very simple things (like copy it). It could take 45 minutes just to transfer some of the files from one server to another. I'll make it as quick and painless as I can. Even finding a disk partition to put it on is a challenge.

I recommend that if you are going to post something long winded this weekend you copy and paste the post into notepad when you are done in case the server is offline by the time you click submit post. At least you'll have a copy of what you wrote so you can try posting it again when the servers come back online.

freq 02-23-2005 05:56 PM

How about posting this info in some of the more high profile areas of the board?

Or is this supposed to be a secret?

Poindexter 02-23-2005 07:26 PM

CO's can pass word onto their community forums. Unfortunately most will be surprised this weekend, and I'll be in S2Ki withdrawals again :( :LOL:

Fortunately the site seems to take its least amount of traffic on the weekends......guess people play on here most while at work :whome:

freq 02-24-2005 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 24 2005, 01:26 AM
CO's can pass word onto their community forums. Unfortunately most will be surprised this weekend, and I'll be in S2Ki withdrawals again :( :LOL:

Fortunately the site seems to take its least amount of traffic on the weekends......guess people play on here most while at work :whome:

The CO's can but often Do Not.

Poindexter 02-24-2005 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 10:28 AM
The CO's can but often Do Not.

Then why don't you take it upon yourself to lend a hand within your own community - not saying you don't ;)

C.O.'s and Mod's are not paid to work on S2Ki - we volunteered to help out, and sometimes we cannot provide all the necessary time to do things at 110%.

cthree 02-24-2005 09:14 AM

* ohh snap! *

Saturday is the slowest day, that's why scheduled maintenance happens then. I post notices about the site operation in this forum. Sometimes I will post it in other places depending on how long or widespead I expect the disruption to be. I don't expect this to be a big deal, it's only a couple of hours. If it were to be the whole day then I'd post a more prominent announcement.

Regardless of how many places I post it someone isn't going to know about it until it happens and will inevitably complain they weren't notified, not given sufficient notice or, in a few cases, complaint they weren't consulted for their approval. Not a complaint from me, just the way it is. It will happen and I'll deal with it when it does.

Edit

I want to ad that many COs do a really good job of letting their clubs know about these things. If yours doesn't seem to have a clue then it might be time to consider adding some more COs or changing the ones you've got. Your CO should have a pretty good idea of what's going on and be able to tell you.

freq 02-24-2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Feb 24 2005, 12:42 PM
Then why don't you take it upon yourself to lend a hand within your own community - not saying you don't ;)

As busy as the Del-Val isn't ......................... :) it wouldn't be too tough a task.

cthree 02-24-2005 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 10:18 AM
As busy as the Del-Val isn't ......................... :) it wouldn't be too tough a task.

Not sure what you mean by that? Are you suggesting that Del-Val be rolled up into a larger region like Mid-A?

RBC3 02-24-2005 10:54 AM

Posted in my community!!

freq 02-24-2005 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Feb 24 2005, 03:20 PM
Not sure what you mean by that? Are you suggesting that Del-Val be rolled up into a larger region like Mid-A?

cthree, that's not what I meant.

But, I had suggested it to the Del-Val people once before and it went over like a fart in church.

What I did mean was that being a CO in the Del-Val forum would take little to no effort since it is so dead.

My thoughts on why it's so dead are that it is such a small geographical area and that a lot of the original S2000 owners have sold their S and moved on to other vehicles.

I find myself visiting the NY Metro and Mid-A more than the Del-Val forum.

Ask Jerry his thoughts, I haven't seen him post in days maybe weeks.

AquilaEagle 02-24-2005 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 09:05 PM
What I did mean was that being a CO in the Del-Val forum would take little to no effort since it is so dead.

On the contrary....

It will take more work, to make it active :)

Poindexter 02-24-2005 12:14 PM

freq - you're welcome in the Mid-A :)

I don't think combining Mid-A and Del-Val is a good idea. As much as I like our Del-Val neighbors, it would just be too much territory to cover as one Community - when I say territory I mean the number of S2000 Owners in each area: not only the amount of posting activity, but also trying to accomodate the whole with meet locations - we have a hard enough time with median locations already.

Triple-H 02-24-2005 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Feb 24 2005, 01:14 PM
I want to ad that many COs do a really good job of letting their clubs know about these things.

:bow:
Thank you for the kind words Erik.

cthree 02-24-2005 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 01:05 PM

But, I had suggested it to the Del-Val people once before and it went over like a fart in church.

My thoughts on why it's so dead are that it is such a small geographical area and that a lot of the original S2000 owners have sold their S and moved on to other vehicles.

Ok, but that begs the question...

Why? It's the Community Organizer's job to organize the community which implies building and maintaining a membership base. If there are no members, there is no community and thus no need for an organizer.

It's not just Del-Valley, there are other communities which are in the same boat. I get requests all the time to set up this community or that yet I think that in many cases we have reached a point of saturation. Grassroots organization of a local or regional community isn't something we can do at the "global" level. It takes someone locally to take on the role. To canvas local owners, connect with local dealers and other resources and to schedule, plan and meet.

Unless communities such as yours can develop an organization and maintain it then we need to consider the possibility of merging or grouping communities into larger, more self-sustainable units. You are sheding light on an issue we've been looking at for some time. Some communities simply fail to generate enough local support to sustain themselves. Either they are too narrowly focused or the effort required to develop them isn't there.

There are about a dozen communities which, IMHO fall into this category for one reason or another. Once I get some other issues resolved (HQ meet) and behind me HondaGal and I will be reviewing the progress that the local communities have made and be going over it with the respective COs to find out what can or should be done. Developing local grassroots communities as part of a global whole is the essential model behind s2ki.

HondaGal 02-24-2005 03:20 PM

cthree is right, we have some very good CO's Every CO has been preached their role, by us. Some of you are probably tired of it. :) But we feel very strong towards the concept and model of s2ki.

We have a community organizer forum, where every CO is suppose to vist. We have a good network, and will continue to make things better. Every community goes thru ups and downs, and we are here to help.

Anyway! good job CO's!

energetic 02-25-2005 03:57 AM

Just to let you know that our community has been informed.

MsPerky 02-25-2005 05:48 AM

^ Yep, I posted a link in Vintage. And thanks for the kind words, Erik and Shelley! I agree with Alex, though - it would not be a good idea to merge Del-Val in with Mid-A. Mid-A is a big community already.

Kyras 02-25-2005 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Feb 25 2005, 06:48 AM
^ Yep, I posted a link in Vintage. And thanks for the kind words, Erik and Shelley! I agree with Alex, though - it would not be a good idea to merge Del-Val in with Mid-A. Mid-A is a big community already.

:thumbup: ^MsPerky is on the ball!

paS2K 02-25-2005 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 24 2005, 01:18 PM

Joe, I'm not sure why you thought it's appropriate to bash the Del Val club on a thread on "Site Maintenance"....not to mention a personal attack on me (and Mike too, by implication). Would it not be more polite to raise your issues on the Del Val forum? After all, the last thread that you started there was in December 2004. There have been 50-60 additional Del Val threads since that posting. You started a total of two (2) Del Val threads in the last 3 months of 2004 :whome:

To respond to your characteristically 'in your face' snide comments below:
*Please raise your hand the next time we need to replace one of the two diligent CO's on the Del Val forum; I'm sure that you'll get a lot of votes...
*Our geo area covers about a 50-100 miles radius from Philly....N/S/E/W. That's a "small geo area" in one of the densest areas of the US?
*Much to my satisfaction, there have been a good number of new, younger members in the Del Val club over the past months; and most all of them have initiated threads over the past months.
*If you want to see my posts on s2ki, you can do a search. How come you're ppd is 2.1 vs my 4.8....when you are so active in forums all over this site?

In conclusion, I would ask that you post your comments about the Delaware Valley forum at that location. Or else happily spend all of your time in the Metro NY forum. There's no need to make yourself feel important by taking the time of the Site Admin about local issues. The Del Val forum is in the top quarter of active USA forums and in no danger of death anytime soon.

freq 02-25-2005 12:40 PM

Sorry Jerry.

It seems to me that our Del-Val forum is DEAD. Not just from a meet standpoint but from an "online community" standpoint. Nobody posts. Maybe it's just the demographics?

I'll ask.

mikes2k 02-25-2005 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 25 2005, 04:40 PM
Sorry Jerry.

It seems to me that our Del-Val forum is DEAD. Not just from a meet standpoint but from an "online community" standpoint. Nobody posts. Maybe it's just the demographics?

I'll ask.

Ask not what the community do for you...ask what YOU CAN do for the community! :hello:

AquilaEagle 02-25-2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by mikes2k,Feb 25 2005, 09:43 PM
Ask not what the community do for you...ask what YOU CAN do for the community! :hello:

http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/respect.gif

charlie 02-25-2005 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by freq,Feb 25 2005, 05:40 PM
Sorry Jerry.

I'll ask.

FYI as one of those who have moved on.. one other thing you have to keep in mind is it is the middle of winter and things slow down , in spring you will notice a big pick up in activity... hows my car?

Matt_in_VA 02-25-2005 04:36 PM

:hello: What is the S2ki server doing that it triggers a syn port attack alert with my McAfee firewall when I log in?

Please explain this?

cthree 02-26-2005 07:56 AM

No idea, talk to McAfee or their Bombay-based tech-support hotline. We don't do anything but serve web pages.

cthree 02-26-2005 08:00 AM

If you blinked you missed it. The master database has been fully copied to the search slave and is back online. Put your guns down and slowly walk away...

Search is going to be messed up for a while as I rebuild the indexes and so forth but posting and reading normally should be fine. If you see database errors popup occationally it's because of the search server being offline still.

MsPerky 02-26-2005 09:49 AM

Wow...that was fast. :) Thanks...

AquilaEagle 02-26-2005 10:10 AM

:thumbup: nice one cthree. let us know when search is back :)

cthree 02-26-2005 03:02 PM

Ok, all the indexes are rebuilt and the search slave is synced up to the master. Search should work well now.

Nate03 02-26-2005 03:07 PM

nice work - thanks for keeping the activity on the site near seamless...
back to procratination...

Poindexter 02-26-2005 08:42 PM

I blinked :)

MrForgetable 02-26-2005 09:28 PM

I slept for about 2 hours when I saw the message and when I woke up, it was gone! :D

xviper 02-28-2005 08:39 AM

I musta blinked, too. Didn't notice a thing.

xviper 02-28-2005 10:25 AM

When I try to reply in a thread, I get this:
Mail Error!

Could not send the email
Failed at 'mail' command

Then I click "back" and try again. Each time I do it, I get this message. Then it turns out that it DID post every time and I have to go back and delete all the dupes. :confused:

Does this have anything to do with the maintenance going on?

ps. Trick is to ignore the "error" and don't try again. Just move on.

AquilaEagle 02-28-2005 11:04 AM

see other post in site info Dave :)