S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Site Info (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/)
-   -   Update on forthcoming changes to s2ki (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/site-info-4/update-forthcoming-changes-s2ki-275239/)

cthree 03-12-2005 11:07 AM

Update on forthcoming changes to s2ki

Here is a brief rundown of what's coming:

- For Sale will be members only to post new topics
- Commercial signatures will be beaten about the head with a stick (new rules and much stricter enforcement by moderators)
- 2 new membership options, Platinum and Life (TBA)
- Changes to sponsorship programs including control and management from within MyS2K rather than a separate login and site
- Group Buys forum will be Platinum Member and Sponsors only to post new topics
- Avatar image size will increase from 6K currently to 15K
- The front page will change and the Library content moved to the forums
- Some Library content will be restricted to Members only (mainly what I gather, write, publish and maintain).
- Skin updates including a new site header and navigation

There is a lot happening though most won't notice any real substantive changes. This is by no means a definitive list of changes which I'm implementing but rather some highlights. I'll be sending out an email to members in the next week or so to offer more details and a more complete rundown.

These changes will occur a little at a time, not all at once. The new commercial signature rules and sponsorship programs will come into effect on April 1. Other changes are either being made right now or will occur sometime over the next month or two. Changes which come with significant policy changes will come after I announce the details to members. I will not be making announcements to Guests. If you want to be kept up-to-date with changes in S2KI and the community in general please consider membership.

Cheers,
Erik

AquilaEagle 03-12-2005 01:49 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Erik :) It's what people want :thumbup:

Muz 03-12-2005 03:33 PM

Since April 1st is so close could you elaborate further on why 'Commercial signatures' need beating about with a stick?

Is there a problem with non-members/vendors posting commercial sigs or is this going to be a restriction on vendors ... or sponsors ...or whatever the hell we're called now?

ImportSport 03-12-2005 09:10 PM

It's changing before my eyes!

AquilaEagle 03-12-2005 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Muz,Mar 13 2005, 12:33 AM
Since April 1st is so close could you elaborate further on why 'Commercial signatures' need beating about with a stick?

Is there a problem with non-members/vendors posting commercial sigs or is this going to be a restriction on vendors ... or sponsors ...or whatever the hell we're called now?

I think the idea is to protect Sponsors who pay for advertising - therefore there will be more stringent rules around others with commercial banners or links in their signatures. I think a lot of the changes Erik is talking about here, are going towards addressing the concerns vendors and sponsors have had.

:)

Muz 03-13-2005 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Mar 13 2005, 06:24 PM
I think the idea is to protect Sponsors who pay for advertising - therefore there will be more stringent rules around others with commercial banners or links in their signatures. I think a lot of the changes Erik is talking about here, are going towards addressing the concerns vendors and sponsors have had.

:)

Ok.. thanks :) I can't say I've really noticed it that much but then there's plenty of forums I don't frequent.

PJK3 03-14-2005 04:54 PM

Some Library content will be restricted to Members only (mainly what I gather, write, publish and maintain).

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=275233

Some information contained here is for use by Members only. This includes the Technical Service Bulletin Archive (All Members) and the Accessory Installation Manuals (Gold Members).
and this includes TSBs?

There is no reduction in service to any group of users, only a difference in the amount of "premium" content I'm adding or collecting for different membership levels.
it seems like there is a reduction in service to a group of users. those of us who are contributing guest/owners are losing out on at least one very valuable resource.

maybe i've just misunderstood?

until S2ki.com offers me a reasonable payment option to where membership means i see no advertisements, i don't see the value in joining. well, at least i didn't before. i don't need another email address. i don't need web hosting space. i didn't need a signature. i also didn't need infinite room for PM's. but now, it feels as if i'm being muscled into it. :(

energetic 03-15-2005 01:18 AM

Am glad that S2K International is developing further.

Small changes makes a big difference! :)

AquilaEagle 03-15-2005 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by PJK3,Mar 15 2005, 01:54 AM
it seems like there is a reduction in service to a group of users. those of us who are contributing guest/owners are losing out on at least one very valuable resource.

maybe i've just misunderstood?

until S2ki.com offers me a reasonable payment option to where membership means i see no advertisements, i don't see the value in joining. well, at least i didn't before. i don't need another email address. i don't need web hosting space. i didn't need a signature. i also didn't need infinite room for PM's. but now, it feels as if i'm being muscled into it. :(

Gold membership reduces the number of ads you see. But it will never be removed totally as I understand. Advertising is too important financially to s2ki to remove it for any group of users, currently.

There are other ways of removing advertisments from all webpages, if you feel THAT strongly.

TSB's are available in plenty of places - you can subscribe to a Honda Technical site for about $100 a month or something if you want them that bad.

How much value do you want for $20? I'm happy to pay to keep s2ki running.

WhiteS2k 03-15-2005 08:13 AM

A lot of times new people come on this board looking for information about the S2000 -- such as TSB information. In the past, we usually help them by providing a link to the TSB library page or tell them to do a search. :thumbup: In the future, we will help them by telling them to become a member. :thumbdn: