South Florida Owners from South Florida

Anyone here ever volunteered like this?

Old 12-29-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Anyone here ever volunteered like this?

I have been interested in doing something like this for a while now, just want to see if anyone here ever done this or thought about it? On a similar note I have been thinking of moving to Europe for a year or so with a couple of friends of mine, anyone here done something like this? If so please comment on experiences, mistakes, pros/cons, or anything about such an experience........
Old 12-29-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband's friends lived in Spain for a year not too long ago. They loved it & said it's one of those things that if you're going to do it, you have to do it when you're relatively young.

Perhaps you may want to post your question in one of the international forums (especially if you know the general area you'd like to go in Europe).
Old 12-29-2004, 04:55 PM

I have lived in Asia for several years, a year and six months in the Middle East, as well as several European countries for a few months to a few weeks.

Experiencing the different cultures was a wonderful opportunity and I believe that it made me a better person.

In light of current world issues, I would be very careful of where to travel abroad. Do your homework! Research the US State Department's travel advisory and get background info of the countries you are considering. Also, if you want to join a Peace Corps type organization, be aware that you are basically on your own. If something goes bad while overseas, it is up to YOU to fix the problem.

Living overseas is very unlike traveling for vacation. It certainly takes an open mind and youthful body to adapt to the varied ways of living.

Heck, join the US Air Force!! Request Europe and you'll get it. Then you can work and play abroad for at least four years. And if you want to be really challenged, you can request to be assigned in Korea or the Middle East. Huh Rahh!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:25 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, well I am 21 so I am still young enough to adapt. I want to do this to give me a better perspective of things around me.....Boca would you say the traveling has done this for you as well? I am very open minded so I am definitely up for this.....
Old 12-30-2004, 08:34 AM

Travveling is 100% the best thing you can do for yourself education-wise. You learn how to understand other people better, become open to differneces in culture, language and mindset. I went to college in Paris and wouldnt have traded it for anything. It was the best and most productive time in my life so far.

I dont know much about the peace corps, but I understand that you have to apply, and have to have a degree that they are interested in using. Like they wont accept you if you dont have qualifications they are interested in.......but maybe Im wrong.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:26 PM

The term "worldly" comes to mind. Living abroad certainly broadens one's perspective on life in general. You're 21 years old! Geeze, I would be at the Air Force recruiter's office ASAP. When I was in my late teens through mid-twenties, I lived in Asia while on active duty. Philippines, Korea, Japan, Thailand, and Okinawa are a single GI's paradise (Particularly the Philippines, Korea and Thailand). Ahhh..to be 21 again and living over there once more.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:58 PM

I would try it without being in the military. Just my opinion. I will be going to Spain to live for a year with a friend and open a business over there. Hopefully everything works out well and I can come back home a year after, if I like it I might consider satying there for longer periods of time. Good luck in your desicion making.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by BruteHareS2k,Dec 31 2004, 02:58 PM
I would try it without being in the military.
The Air Force is GREAT. YOU can select a job that suits your needs and desire, not to mention obtain valuable skills, travel the world, earn a college degree and much more.

If you simply want a 9 to 5 type of job, then select a career field that suits your interest and will keep you away from any combat type situation. After all, for every combatant, there are 3 supportive troops.

If you want to make history and get involved in "world events", then select a career field that will get you out there in the middle of the action.

Gee, I'm starting to sound like a recruiter! lol
Old 12-31-2004, 05:46 PM

And don't forget the most important part....

Women love a man in uniform!!!