South Florida Owners from South Florida

Official Dragon General Questions Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Dragon General Questions Thread

Okay Renderman had a lot of good questions and Warren requested we don't congest the official factual thread with general questions and discussions, which makes sense.

I've started a second thread here and if any of the dragon rookies have questions, there should be plenty of people to answer them.

Here are a few of the things asked so far:

Wi-Fi and Cell phones in Fontana
Yes Fontana does now have wi-fi and its FREE . . . and if anyone asks nicely I'll show them a secret spot in Fontana near the dam that will get cell phone coverage . . . its literally about a 30 foot gap, but the direction down the mountain is just right to pick up a signal. Worked flawlessly last summer, I got engaged on top of the dam and was able to make a call off to spread the news. Its a small pull-off spot when you are heading back towards the village. Right when you leave the TOP of the damn, when you head through the official TVA gates, its the next pull of spot on the left. Its a little easier than going to Robbinsville to get cell service. As an alternative, if you bring cheap domestic phone cards with you, 1-800 calls are free from fontana phones.

Please break it down for me.....do you fly on a helicopter to the mountains, do you get a shirt that says I flew the Dragon? I'm totally lost here.

No you take a regular road, a state highway (28), all the way up to Fontana where you will be staying. She seems to be flying in because she has time obligations, not everyone wants or can do a 12-14 hour drive each way. Don't worry nothing abnormal happens . . . you drive your car from your doorstep in Miami to the doorstep of where you are staying in Fontana. Don't worry, nothing majorly crazy. You can even mapquest the trip, lol. It is kind of strange for us Miami people the first time though because its one road in and one road out, basically. Its one major highway (highway 28) that you take into Fontana, BUT when I say highway you are probably picturing I-95, in actuality its one lane each way, lol.

Its different than what you are used to, but that is a good thing and I think just about everyone will enjoy it at least once, if not more. If you've never been to mountains anywhere (either in another country or domestically) you really will be in awe of the scenary . . . I don't mean it in any overly dramatic way or anything, but its extremely different than what we are used to in Miami and amazing to pull over on the side of the road (they have little pull of spots) and look down and realize the highway is going over the top of a mountain at that point. Oh an yes, you can buy a t-shirt that says I slayed the dragon, t-shirts, wife beaters, and polo shirts lol.

The best part, NO one will try to steal your seats the whole time you are there either!

[B]But where do you fly to Raleigh-Durham Airport? And then someone would picks you up as a passenger or is there a local airport closer to the event area? The reason I
Old 03-16-2007, 09:45 AM

actually what i said was.. lets not talk about flying in to the dragon when there is no actual intention to do so this time.

dramamine
cell phones
wi fi

are all relevant to the current trip.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 AM

Are there velociraptors there?

Tyranadons? Stegs?

Do they breathe fire??
Old 03-16-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DaWorm' date='Mar 16 2007, 12:53 PM
Are there velociraptors there?

Tyranadons? Stegs?

Do they breathe fire??
Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM

You guys do know wills' kidding right?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:21 AM

in that case..

whatchu talkin about willis?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Good luck getting your cellphone to work anywhere there. I suggest everyone going invests in a good pair of FRS radios. Buy the longest range ones you can. If you are cheap, buy, or uh rent, from Walmart.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:35 AM

Alright damn guys, was just trying to help the man with his questions, kidding or not. Delete the thread if you want.

And yes for communicating with each other on the trip cell phones will NOT work. But if you want to call home or work or check voicemail or whatever, the area I described will work.