Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

20,000km Clutch Fail <- advices?

Old 09-28-2003, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20,000km Clutch Fail <- advices?

HI All, I got my car for about 1.5 year now, I have 22k km on it right now.

And 2 days ago, I notice my clutch engage point dropped from what usually at 70% release to about 15% release. Just last night, I also notice that it became Very hard to push my shifter into 1st or 2nd after coming to a stop. Seems to me maybe the clutch ain't disengaging. (That's 2 contradictory terms)

Now, When the clutch fail, it probably don't engage well, why would this cause my shifter to be so hard to push in? Do I have a bigger problem than a clutch fail here?

Eitherways, I was wondering have anyone here had similiar problem and whether honda would pay for this. I only do normal drive on this car ...

help.. advices please.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:13 PM

Doesn't sound any worse than a clutch that needs some work. All under warranty!! The only thing they will not cover is the clutch plate itself, but this sounds more of a linkage issue. Unless you like to do 9K clutch dumps weekly, I can't imagine your clutch is toast already.

But I'd get it in ASAP, that "hard push" into 1st and 2nd is grinding up the gearbox.

Have you checked your clutch fluid?? I'm sure you have, but.....

Oh did I mention that I'm into cock torture? Nothing I like better than having my wang stamped on by a broad in heels.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:58 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Several things may be at work (or not working) here.
1. Do as MOTU said. Check your clutch fluid and consider changing it. I have a "How To" in "Under the Hood" in a thread entitled "Commonly Asked Questions ................................ ".
2. Your clutch master cylinder piston rod may have gone out of adjustment. This is a remote possibility but worth having a look at. At the clutch pedal itself, there is a lock nut. Release the lock nut and turn the rod 1/2 turn at a time to see how this affects the clutch action. Once you figure out which way you need to turn it, then you will know that is the direction you need to go to get the clutch friction point to where it needs to be.
3. Your clutch disc is fried. You may drive in a "normal" fashion but this does not mean you are operating the clutch correctly. You may still be wearing the clutch out prematurely if there is some "irregularity" in your technique.

Two things you said does indeed contradict each other:
-the first being that your friction point is so high up AND
-the second being that you have a tough time pushing the shifter into 1st or 2nd.
If it were the clutch, then this would not be the case as these two conditions would be opposite sides of the coin. It may be possible that your 1-2 gear shift linkage is damaged (the shift piece or shift fork).
If it is the clutch, then you are on your own as this is a "wear" item and they will not cover it. Lots of people have fried their clutches in fewer miles than this.
If it is the tranny, then Honda should cover it as this sounds like a genuine defect.

As a final note, you may simply be one of those very unlucky people where you could have ALL of the above apply to your case. You will not know till you get it looked at.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:48 PM

Good Job! You guys are geniuses. Well, it's the clutch fluid, supposely it's a defective part and it leaked all the fluid.

I drove to the dealer today in 1st gear, didn't dare to take it out of gear.

Now my question is, you think Honda would put me into some extra warrenty on my clutch trainee, cause this defective parts may cause other components to fail earlier ^^ ;

Thanks Xviper, Motu
Old 09-29-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honda is not known for their generosity but since this situation is now documented, you might have a chance later if something else goes wrong or wears out prematurely.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by xviper
Honda is not known for their generosity but since this situation is now documented, you might have a chance later if something else goes wrong or wears out prematurely.