S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   2017 Southern Ontario Autocross Events (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/2017-southern-ontario-autocross-events-1171867/)

madfunkwilly4 04-20-2017 12:52 PM

2017 Southern Ontario Autocross Events

After having an awesome day at Cayuga earlier this month, and frying my brakes on those faster corners, I decided to take a look for some upcoming autocross events. I want to see if there are any other people on this forum who are planning to attend some events around ON, and maybe use this thread as a good way to communicate which events are coming up, which club is affiliated, and who else might be going. The way I see it, until I have some track ready brakes I can still go enjoy some time between the pylons!

Welcome To the PITL Web Site seems to have a few events in the upcoming months at the Powerade Centre. Post it below if there are any others you know of so that we might see some nice s2k turnouts.

LDubz735 04-20-2017 04:21 PM

You've come to the right place. I've contemplated about making a sticky for track and autocross days but the information can be quite scattered.

In any case, off the top of my head there's PITL, WOSCA, BMW Trillium all host autocross events. I've only managed to the PITL ones but I've heard good things from the others. Last year we had PITL thread bc a number of us on this forum would go regularly. Hope to see you out this season!

darcyw 04-20-2017 06:07 PM

WOSCA- at HIAWATHA in Sarnia, ON- start our season Sunday, May 21.
wosca.ca, check out the Facebook page.
  • Sunday, May 21
  • Sunday, June 18
  • Sunday, July 16
  • Sunday, July 23
  • Sunday, August 20
  • Saturday, September 16 (Fanshawe College Charity Event)
  • Sunday, October 1
  • Sunday, October 15
All events are held at Hiawatha Horse Park with the exception of the Saturday, September 16th event, which will be held at Fanshawe College.

We are not able to take payments through Motorsportreg at this time, so please bring cash payments to the event. If you do not know how to class your vehicle, please ask someone on our
Facebook Post

Please note that 2017 entry fees have been raised to $35 for members and $45 for non-members.

Our standard event schedules are as follows:

Gates: 8:00 a.m.
Drivers Meeting: 9:30 a.m.
Cost: $45 non-members / $35 members
Annual membership: $35

*Also available* plastic WOSCA vanity plates will be for sale for $5 each
Please register on motorsportreg.com

​​​​​​​darcy

madfunkwilly4 04-20-2017 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by LDubz735 (Post 24192990)
You've come to the right place. I've contemplated about making a sticky for track and autocross days but the information can be quite scattered.

In any case, off the top of my head there's PITL, WOSCA, BMW Trillium all host autocross events. I've only managed to the PITL ones but I've heard good things from the others. Last year we had PITL thread bc a number of us on this forum would go regularly. Hope to see you out this season!

I think I might have to make a weekend of it and hit PITL and the WOSCA events if my schedule is permitting. I think I'll do a little check in on this thread to see who might be going.

LemonJus 04-20-2017 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24193065)
I think I might have to make a weekend of it and hit PITL and the WOSCA events if my schedule is permitting. I think I'll do a little check in on this thread to see who might be going.

Hey madfunkwilly4! Usually LDubz and I are staples at PITL - due to my commitments with Ontario Time Attack series, I can only attend 5 out of the 8 events for PITL this year.

Nonetheless, looking forward to seeing another S2k out at events. Maybe this time I can get to sit in with you!

Cheers!

madfunkwilly4 04-21-2017 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by LemonJus (Post 24193079)
Hey madfunkwilly4! Usually LDubz and I are staples at PITL - due to my commitments with Ontario Time Attack series, I can only attend 5 out of the 8 events for PITL this year.

Nonetheless, looking forward to seeing another S2k out at events. Maybe this time I can get to sit in with you!

Cheers!

Looking forward to it!

madfunkwilly4 04-22-2017 03:09 PM

Found my first event this year! PCA is running an autocross event tomorrow at the Powerade Centre. Looks like 40 bucks for members so probably a few more bucks for non members. I attended one event last year and after some of the dumber drivers got booted it was a great time and a nice course. Hopefully I will see another s2000 out there this time! If anyone is in the KW area I am going to be meeting a friend at the sushi place in the Moose Winooskis plaza at around 730 to drive down together. Last year some BMW drivers cluttered the track in the morning but after that it was some solid driving from Porsches, Mazdas, and I placed middle of the pack with my s2k.

Heres the link
Autocross – Sunday April 23 @ Powerade Centre (Brampton) | PCA UCR

LemonJus 04-23-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24194107)
Found my first event this year! PCA is running an autocross event tomorrow at the Powerade Centre. Looks like 40 bucks for members so probably a few more bucks for non members. I attended one event last year and after some of the dumber drivers got booted it was a great time and a nice course. Hopefully I will see another s2000 out there this time! If anyone is in the KW area I am going to be meeting a friend at the sushi place in the Moose Winooskis plaza at around 730 to drive down together. Last year some BMW drivers cluttered the track in the morning but after that it was some solid driving from Porsches, Mazdas, and I placed middle of the pack with my s2k.

Heres the link
Autocross – Sunday April 23 @ Powerade Centre (Brampton) PCA UCR

Goddamn, I was at the Formula Kartways with the PADA group helping host the PITL Open House event!

Colin Caissie, our head instructor, showed up (in a Alfa Romeo 4C) for some fun runs.

madfunkwilly4 04-24-2017 05:10 PM

Hey yea! Everyone was ogling the 4C, such beautiful cars. Placed about mid of the pack again and one driver even got me to help him learn the course by ride alongs so I was feeling pretty good ;) Next I'll be going to the may 20th event for PITL hope to see you there!

LemonJus 04-25-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24195449)
Hey yea! Everyone was ogling the 4C, such beautiful cars. Placed about mid of the pack again and one driver even got me to help him learn the course by ride alongs so I was feeling pretty good ;) Next I'll be going to the may 20th event for PITL hope to see you there!

The whole of team Pinnacle Advanced Driving Academy will be there - can't wait to get back out.

madfunkwilly4 05-20-2017 04:16 PM

I saw a few s2k's out today at PITL. Who else on this thread was there?! Mucho thanks to Kevin for the ride along, with your tips I beat a time I didn't even think was possible on fully stock brakes, and Canadian Tire grade all season tires! 1st run of the day at 67 seconds, 2nd at 70 (oops), 3rd 65 (LemonJus knowledge acquired), 4th run... I don't talk about 4th run... and what I felt was an absolutely heroic final attempt my PB at 62.7. Hoping to pick some some new tires to make my runs less terrifying, without changing the stock AP1 rims whats everyones advice on
going 225/front 245/rear? If that's too thick I was thinking 215F 245R.

Last note: anyone else coming to WOSCA tomorrow?

darcyw 05-20-2017 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24211145)
I saw a few s2k's out today at PITL. Who else on this thread was there?! Mucho thanks to Kevin for the ride along, with your tips I beat a time I didn't even think was possible on fully stock brakes, and Canadian Tire grade all season tires! 1st run of the day at 67 seconds, 2nd at 70 (oops), 3rd 65 (LemonJus knowledge acquired), 4th run... I don't talk about 4th run... and what I felt was an absolutely heroic final attempt my PB at 62.7. Hoping to pick some some new tires to make my runs less terrifying, without changing the stock AP1 rims whats everyones advice on
going 225/front 245/rear? If that's too thick I was thinking 215F 245R.

Last note: anyone else coming to WOSCA tomorrow?

AP1- go with AP1 OEM sizing in sticky 200 UTQG tires- RS-4, Z2, RE71R. I have not seen 215 sized 16 inch tires- or at least worthy tires. The RE-11 is still available in the 225/245 size and really your only option, but I nhave not tried it. The take home advice is go with the stickiest tires you can afford.

Quick note- the morning is WOSCA's autocross school from 9:30 to 12 noon. We'll run the regular event at 1:00 pm. ALSO, don't forget about PICTON DOUBLE header next weekend May 27/28.

see you there!
darcy

madfunkwilly4 05-20-2017 05:07 PM

Thanks Darcy! I will be coming for the school in the morning as well! Will 80 be enough for a currently non member to sign up for both the school and event?

madfunkwilly4 05-22-2017 03:47 PM

Yesterday was awesome at WOSCA! Well worth the 2 hour drive to Sarnia. It was great meeting Curt and Darcy, I look forward to learning more from those two at future events. I did a bit of reading on WOSCA, and is it true that you and Curt design the courses, Darcy? I think that was my favourite one so far, not as tight as some of the Powerade courses, but still technical and fast. Right now I'm feeling extra encouraged to come out to as many events as possible, seeing as my last event as a "Novice" according to WOSCAs guidelines I actually ended up 10th overall PAX and Raw, and even won my class in B Street (yay me!). I will be trying to balance my budget to get some tires in the next month to go along with my new brakes which are yet to be installed, and also getting to Cayuga for a day getting benchmark times to gauge my new brakes, and also going to some more AutoX! It's pretty much guaranteed that I will see some of you guys at any event, whether it's the Kevin with Pinnacle or the London crew at WOSCA. Let me know who's going to what next month and maybe we can arrange a day of runs at Cayuga as well! Wish I could get videos up, but my crappy dash cam keeps assuming I've been in an accident whenever I launch, brake, turn, or hit a cone, and it really chops up the footage. :(

Will

Link to the time charts from yesterday.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7C...hXZWpPSmc/view

darcyw 05-22-2017 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24212227)
Yesterday was awesome at WOSCA! Well worth the 2 hour drive to Sarnia. It was great meeting Curt and Darcy, I look forward to learning more from those two at future events. I did a bit of reading on WOSCA, and is it true that you and Curt design the courses, Darcy? I think that was my favourite one so far, not as tight as some of the Powerade courses, but still technical and fast. Right now I'm feeling extra encouraged to come out to as many events as possible, seeing as my last event as a "Novice" according to WOSCAs guidelines I actually ended up 10th overall PAX and Raw, and even won my class in B Street (yay me!). I will be trying to balance my budget to get some tires in the next month to go along with my new brakes which are yet to be installed, and also getting to Cayuga for a day getting benchmark times to gauge my new brakes, and also going to some more AutoX! It's pretty much guaranteed that I will see some of you guys at any event, whether it's the Kevin with Pinnacle or the London crew at WOSCA. Let me know who's going to what next month and maybe we can arrange a day of runs at Cayuga as well! Wish I could get videos up, but my crappy dash cam keeps assuming I've been in an accident whenever I launch, brake, turn, or hit a cone, and it really chops up the footage. :(

Will

Glad you enjoyed it! Adam did the course design on Sunday, but it is pretty typical of the courses we prefer- fast and flowing. We've done the course design for the most part over the previous 4 yrs.

​​​​​​​darcy

LemonJus 05-25-2017 04:25 AM

So I see that Darcy, Curt and myself (from the S2ki forums) are coming to Picton.

Does anyone know Dina? I hear she's a monster in B Street.

My RS3s are on their last legs so I'm just gonna use Picton to learn to use the back end of the car to turn in!

w00t!

darcyw 05-25-2017 10:38 AM

Picton- WOOTWOOT!

I don't think my square rim set up will be complete, but that's ok. Adam will also arrive with his GPW as well. There will be quite a contingent of s2000's there.

till saturday
darcy

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 11:09 AM

Ugh that sounds so awesome! Wish I could make it out but its a 3.5 hour drive one way and I'm gonna be extra low on funds from rent and putting aside for tires. Decided on the RE-71R's if they are still available in June, maybe I'll get a few more local events in before they go on! :D

LemonJus 05-25-2017 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24214116)
Ugh that sounds so awesome! Wish I could make it out but its a 3.5 hour drive one way and I'm gonna be extra low on funds from rent and putting aside for tires. Decided on the RE-71R's if they are still available in June, maybe I'll get a few more local events in before they go on! :D

I actually discourage people who consider themselves as beginners or even intermediates to avoid RE71Rs since they are so damn good that they will mask bad driving habits.

I'm purposely avoiding them for that reason - I've seen others with RE71Rs smoke lap times and then hit a wall and wonder why they can't get over it. Turns out the wall they hit is the exact same one they had all along but the RE71Rs just made them quicker.

My goal is that if I can catch an intermediate or advanced with RE71Rs in RS3 or RS4s, I'm now good enough for RE71Rs.

Just my two cents.

LemonJus 05-25-2017 01:22 PM

You STRs can stay out of my BS sandbox! :P

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 01:42 PM

Kevin, your knowledge knows no bounds. Now go ahead and send me your Cayuga lap times so I can know when to get my tires ;P So unfortunately I have already bugged a few places on tire quotes, but I could for sure hold off if you believe it will help my driving potential. Unfortunately the S2000 I bought comes with the stock driver, and as a result doesn't go as fast as the cars with upgraded drivers. I heard some people have had luck by tightening the nut behind the wheel, might give that a try :) Any tires you might recommend for a novice to get a little more grip, yet still allow me to be able to criticize my own driving i.e. not masking my current flaws. Sounds like you are kind of hinting toward the Ventus R series tires. I plan on going stock sizes (205F 225R) so no big fat 255F 255R setup to overgrip with. Hopefully in a year or two I might feel more deserving of my dream 255 square on RPF1 setup lol. As it stands though, when I am at an event and I see myself outdrive someone with stickier, bigger, fatter tires I feel quite proud of myself!

haga888 05-25-2017 05:42 PM

Find a set of AP2 wheels and go 17" 215/245 or 225/255. Don't waste your money on 16". My $0.02.

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 05:55 PM

Would love to but $$$ If I go for wheels It'll take me months to afford the wheel and tire package, and if I only get to spend money on one thing, it will definitely be getting to events so I can burn these Canadian Tire specials up on an autocross course or a track somewhere! It is something I could consider over the winter, but not while I am actively pursuing every event I could possibly attend! Besides, I guess there is something very "Initial D" about trying to run with the big dogs on a worse setup :D I just need to see if these generic all seasons will last until the it's time to store it again.

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 06:21 PM

Quick update: I did some research on my current tires. VS the UTQG 200 rated tires most people are running, I've got a solid 560! My girlfriends Veloster Turbo comes equipped with 480 from factory, wonder if her rims will fit the s2k...

Just kidding.

LemonJus 05-25-2017 07:10 PM

Thanks for the compliments but I'm far from the best - I just happen to watch a lot of good guys and take good notes. Something about "if you can't do it, then teach it" lol... sad :(

Your tire choice really depends on what you plan on doing with the S2k.

My car is pretty much a dedicated track rat and autocross wannabe at this point. The tweaks I've done and will continue to do will be aiming it for the track only and if I can get a good time on autocross, sure ok.

Don't bother with comparing times for now, drive and improve on your own (it helps to get RaceChrono app on Android with a GPS receiver) before you really start looking at times. Be safe! Don't expect Ramesh levels of skill right off the bat. It comes with time and some good instruction!

However if you really want to know: I'm currently at 1:27.7 at TMP with non-stock alignment, roll bar and Hankook RS3s (225/255). I know I can get down to 1:24 if I clean up my act. Stock, balls to the wall, the AP2 should be able to get to 1:22 theoretical but that's just theoretical (according to OTA indexing). My current driver development is getting over the fear wall of oversteer. I'm used to understeer so much, I drive the S2k like truck and that is so wrong.

I sorta agree with Haga, don't bother with 16" - see if you can source a set of 17" AP2 wheels. If you can't, then try to max out whatever you can BUT stay constant with whatever tire choice you want. Constantly changing tires keeps shifting variables.

For tires, I started off with Pilot Super Sports. Get off the factory alignment and dial in more front camber. I killed my PSS front edges so damn quick. After that I jumped to RS3s and went to a more aggressive alignment. I suggest RS3/4s as they have good bang for buck ratio. Last decently well, will not overheat typically and wear extremely nicely. Some will complain about road noise but #racecar. I also suggest getting some solid track pads and brake fluid.

If you go to Dave's Garage, talk to Alex and let him suggest an alignment - he's a genius when it comes to alignments and also does OTA so he walks the talk.

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 08:08 PM

Well Kevin, so far I have been running more autoX than actual tracks like TMP. My only real goal in mind when I got my s2k was to go out and run as many events as I can! I've had my eyes on motorsports for YEARS but never had a suitable platform to run on. This year I have one of the best possible platforms to drive events with, enough money to do some VERY limited modifications (brakes, tires and alignment would probably be all this year) and attend track days and autoX events whenever possible.

Loud, stiff, uncomfortable are all fine with me as I want to go fast! Thats just about it lol I also don't want to throw the kitchen sink at my car. Everything that goes on will have a concise and measurable effect on performance and ability to stand up to track driving, with my main goal to be able to stay on a course for as long as possible and improve my own ability . For example, brakes were my 1st priority because when I run at TMP I'm on 100% brake fade after about 3-4 laps. Blue rotors and steaming pads won't give me a lot of seat time, so now I should be able to practice more! I suppose I should run TMP again with my brakes on and see where the new weak link is.

I have RaceChrono, but not a GPS receiver. Any recommendations on a reliable one? I suppose this month may be a good opportunity to hit up Dave's garage for an alignment, maybe geared toward autoX, and picking up some support items like a cheap camera. Preferably not an actual dash cam, as every time I brake hard, turn hard, or accelerate hard, my dash cam thinks it's been in an accident and butchers the recording even on the lowest sensitivity setting (there is no "off" setting)! I also want to stock up on tire chalk, and get one of those plug in car air compressors so I can adjust tire pressures where needed.

Sounds like rather than dropping my entire budget on tires this month, I could just get myself more prepared to be out and "walking the walk" :) If anyone here has recommendations regarding a low budget camera and/or GPS receiver I would be very grateful. Just something to review my laps and find some areas for improvement.

LemonJus 05-25-2017 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24214399)
Sounds like rather than dropping my entire budget on tires this month, I could just get myself more prepared to be out and "walking the walk" :) If anyone here has recommendations regarding a low budget camera and/or GPS receiver I would be very grateful. Just something to review my laps and find some areas for improvement.

I personally use the QStarz BT-Q818XT here: . Works great for the last 3 years - good battery life too.

Camera: get the Monoprice branded ones from the US if possible, they're shockingly good value. I personally use GoPros but I have used Monoprice cameras in the past and they're great bang for buck.

Autocross setups tend to be twitchier than track for good reason. Be careful when tracking an autoX prepped car lol...

madfunkwilly4 05-25-2017 08:20 PM

Hmm in that case I might request a more track oriented setup. So far TMP has been where I set my benchmarks so working around that could be beneficial. Autocross is different every course you go to, so something I could spend more time getting familiar with should be good. One day when experience is more of a factor I can always go in for a redo on the specs :)

Thanks for the tips, again! I'm currently setting up my RaceChrono Pro (yes I just bought the pro version, easiest 25 bucks to get better data lol) for my drive to work to test out the app before fumbling around at a track!

LDubz735 05-29-2017 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24214302)
Would love to but $$$ If I go for wheels It'll take me months to afford the wheel and tire package, and if I only get to spend money on one thing, it will definitely be getting to events so I can burn these Canadian Tire specials up on an autocross course or a track somewhere! It is something I could consider over the winter, but not while I am actively pursuing every event I could possibly attend! Besides, I guess there is something very "Initial D" about trying to run with the big dogs on a worse setup :D I just need to see if these generic all seasons will last until the it's time to store it again.

Not so sound harsh, but you gotta pay to play. If your budget is limited, I would recommend getting proper 17" wheels and tires and spending your money on AutoX. You'll easily be able to get through the whole season on one set of tires, (stock) brake pads, rotors and fluids.

If you're serious about tracking your car though, things can get pricey pretty quickly and I would budget at least $3000-5000 to start.

madfunkwilly4 05-29-2017 04:55 PM

Thanks for the tip. So far autocross has been more of my focus, but I will still hit up the track whenever I can. I'm gonna get fast on these tires first I think, and put some money away until I can get a nice set of tires and rims. Trying to figure out what rims and tire sizes I can get for autocross without changing my class. I'm hoping to stay in B Street, so I think the square. 17x9 RPF1 setup would bump my class. I think the AP2 rims going 225F 245R will be the best I can get in B Street. Next year I want to compete in OTA's autocross so I am trying to think ahead.

darcyw 05-29-2017 06:15 PM

I started with the 16" OEM rims for the first say 3 years of slalom when I switched to the S from my 2000 SiR. I found a set of OEM painted white rims for $200 all in. The reason I kept the OEM 16's (with RS-3's) is I have much patience and was waiting to find a set of AP2V1 rims before i made the switch…sure enough, found a rough-ish but restorable set for $200.

Then jvf1 wanted to get rid of his and now I have a square set.

If an AP2 set comes up, you'll pay say $500-$600,, then tires will be $1100 (RS-4, RE71R)- the crap CAN$ is to blame here. OEM 16's will save you many dollars.

I still drive the OEM 16's at the dragon and never have trouble keeping up.

darcy

LDubz735 05-29-2017 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24215986)
I think the AP2 rims going 225F 245R will be the best.

If you're staying non-square, stick to stock 215/245, or go 225/255. If you want more play in the back end, I would adjust the alignment instead.

haga888 05-29-2017 07:06 PM

17" RE-71's in stock sizing should be around $800 tax in and installed unless there's been a major price change since last year.

madfunkwilly4 05-29-2017 07:36 PM

Thanks for the uplifting words Darcy! It's a lot to take in with all the info from you veteran s2000 drivers. Im gonna have to think on what to purchase. I know if I go stock 16s I could get tires in a month or two. However going 17s and having my tire package built over the winter months would overall be faster. Some testing at autocross events and a couple Cayuga track days might give me some more insight, so I guess I will have to ponder on it. Wonder what it would cost me to run four spare tires with R compounds... :D

darcyw 05-29-2017 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24216030)
Thanks for the uplifting words Darcy! It's a lot to take in with all the info from you veteran s2000 drivers. Im gonna have to think on what to purchase. I know if I go stock 16s I could get tires in a month or two. However going 17s and having my tire package built over the winter months would overall be faster. Some testing at autocross events and a couple Cayuga track days might give me some more insight, so I guess I will have to ponder on it. Wonder what it would cost me to run four spare tires with R compounds... :D

If you go with R comp tires in an AP1, you'll want the extra security seam welding the upper A arm mounting points. they do have a tendency to separate from the frame rails with track work- or so I have read, but not experienced myself.

Some will argue its not necessary, but I tend to be ultra diligent and I had it done anyway.

darcy

madfunkwilly4 05-29-2017 07:57 PM

Just a joke Darcy! Imagine someone with 4 donut tires mounted with slicks lol! That is a neat fact about the seam though. Got that whole "Danger to Manifold" vibe lol

darcyw 05-30-2017 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24216033)
Just a joke Darcy! Imagine someone with 4 donut tires mounted with slicks lol! That is a neat fact about the seam though. Got that whole "Danger to Manifold" vibe lol

no, not at all- i get it. But, there are some excellent threads showing this issue on AP1's. Even Honda has a TSB for techs to follow.

darcy

Cagare 05-30-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24212227)

Will

Hey, Glad you liked the course and the school. I am Adam, and I designed the course. That was my first time designing a course and I stole some cues from both Darcy and my old club designers in Calgary.

LemonJus 05-30-2017 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by haga888 (Post 24216023)
17" RE-71's in stock sizing should be around $800 tax in and installed unless there's been a major price change since last year.

It's gone up if I understand correctly. $880.

darcyw 05-30-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by LemonJus (Post 24216432)
It's gone up if I understand correctly. $880.

where are sourcing them from? I'm doing a little price comparison.

thanks
darcy

haga888 05-30-2017 04:42 PM

Tires23 was where I got them last year. I want to say 215/245 was $780 minus the $70 Mail in rebate promo. I might be off by a few bucks though but they were in and around $800.

madfunkwilly4 05-31-2017 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Cagare (Post 24216400)
Hey, Glad you liked the course and the school. I am Adam, and I designed the course. That was my first time designing a course and I stole some cues from both Darcy and my old club designers in Calgary.

1st time designing a course? That back half after the 1st slalom was probably my favourite part! I loved how if you ran it juuuuust right you goukd get a straight shot through the slalom picking up a ton of speed before trying to scrub it all off before the turns leading to the Chicago Box. Good job on it ☺

madfunkwilly4 06-08-2017 09:27 AM

Events are booked for this month! I have June 11th and 17th at PITL and June 18th at WOSCA, now whos ready to come set some lap times with me?! Hopefully not in C stock + again at PITL, really hard to be competitive against those C+ monsters! What ever happened to regular old C Stock?

LemonJus 06-08-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24222778)
Events are booked for this month! I have June 11th and 17th at PITL and June 18th at WOSCA, now whos ready to come set some lap times with me?! Hopefully not in C stock + again at PITL, really hard to be competitive against those C+ monsters! What ever happened to regular old C Stock?

I won't be able to make it for this Sunday as I'll be at the Mosport Grand Prix course with the BMW Trillium Club. It's a great school from what I hear and I am looking forward to it.

I will be at the PITL on the 17th.

C Stock Plus is competitive! It forces you to be better - why go join a class that you can win in your sleep? I can continue to help you get better if you'd like. That's what PADA is there for!

Cheers.

Kev

madfunkwilly4 06-08-2017 01:12 PM

I am ALWAYS excited for some pointers from an experienced driver! See you next Saturday then :) Got myself a legitimate GoPro on order today so maybe I can start collecting more data with that and Race Chrono. Can't wait to start shaving off seconds!

LemonJus 06-08-2017 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24222867)
I am ALWAYS excited for some pointers from an experienced driver! See you next Saturday then :) Got myself a legitimate GoPro on order today so maybe I can start collecting more data with that and Race Chrono. Can't wait to start shaving off seconds!

Ask Colin or Val to hop in with you this Sunday - they're both fantastic drivers. Tell them Kevin sent you.

madfunkwilly4 06-08-2017 04:33 PM

Will keep an eye out!

aznsupastar 06-11-2017 07:00 AM

Is there autocross events in GTA core area?

LemonJus 06-11-2017 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by aznsupastar (Post 24224004)

Isn't Brampton GTA enough? :P

darcyw 06-11-2017 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by aznsupastar (Post 24224004)

find a parking lot that's not over run all days of the week and giddy up! The Ontario Place lot was used a few years back for a demonstration/promotional event.

darcy
​​​​​​​

madfunkwilly4 06-12-2017 11:53 AM

Ladies and gentlemen! I just bought some R-S4's for this upcoming weekend! Stock tire sizes for the AP1, but working within my budget, I decided to follow Darcy's advice and Kevin's. Got the stickiest rubber I can afford but trying not to get soo sticky that the tires hide my actual driving. On the bright side, while not being optimized by any means, I will never run into classing issues going fully stock sized. PITL this Sunday drove me mad with the lack of grip, and after losing my fastest lap of the day from blowing through the stop box with all 4 wheels locked up mad me bite the bullet. I am very excited to try these babies out at PITL and WOSCA this weekend!!!:argh:

LemonJus 06-13-2017 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24225107)
Ladies and gentlemen! I just bought some R-S4's for this upcoming weekend! Stock tire sizes for the AP1, but working within my budget, I decided to follow Darcy's advice and Kevin's. Got the stickiest rubber I can afford but trying not to get soo sticky that the tires hide my actual driving. On the bright side, while not being optimized by any means, I will never run into classing issues going fully stock sized. PITL this Sunday drove me mad with the lack of grip, and after losing my fastest lap of the day from blowing through the stop box with all 4 wheels locked up mad me bite the bullet. I am very excited to try these babies out at PITL and WOSCA this weekend!!!:argh:

I just barely broke in my RS4s at the GP track and some drifting at the skidpad. Nice and scrubbed now.

Be sure to be careful on your first time out - your tires will be slippery thanks to the outside layer still being relatively fresh and your edges as well.

I was VERY happy with how the RS4s performed on the skidpad. Definitely an upgrade from my old RS3s in terms of maximum grip and stiffer sidewall (more responsive). Can't wait for this Saturday - hopefully the rain stays away.

madfunkwilly4 06-13-2017 09:51 AM

Thanks Kevin! I think by the time I end up at PITL this Saturday I will have about 200 km on them. Think that would suffice for a break in?

LemonJus 06-13-2017 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24225870)
Thanks Kevin! I think by the time I end up at PITL this Saturday I will have about 200 km on them. Think that would suffice for a break in?

It will just mean your center and insides are broken in - not your outside edges. Thats why I was drifting at the skid pad to break in my outsides. Keep an eye on your tires.

madfunkwilly4 06-13-2017 04:43 PM

Thank you for the clarification. Guess I will have to ease into the pace this weekend. Either way great opportunity to test my new tires! Chris Kennealy is a great guy to deal with, and he has gotten me even more excited to put these on!

darcyw 06-13-2017 05:37 PM

i do nothing but drive the tread off my tires. what better way to break your tires in than autocross! I don't put a lot of stock in breaking a tire in…but that's just me.

see you on course.

darcy

madfunkwilly4 06-13-2017 08:44 PM

Haha looking forward to Sunday, Darcy! By the way, I did get my Hub nuts tightened just like you said! Lucky for me Kia just finished a service bulletin on some hub nuts so our techs had a 36mm handy :D

madfunkwilly4 06-19-2017 01:56 PM

Well... This month was exciting! What events are people planning for next month? I will be hitting up both WOSCA events, the 16th and 23rd. There's also PITL on the 9th and 29th which will be a blast! I will also be getting down to Cayuga for the F2000 driving school, and sticking around for the evening lapping afterwards. Right now I'm on track to win the novice trophy with WOSCA and with some perseverance, get top 10 overall in the series. With those stakes there's no way I can't take every opportunity to improve as a driver. Can't count on car parts for better laps if you can't afford 'em!

LemonJus 06-19-2017 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by madfunkwilly4 (Post 24235265)
Well... This month was exciting! What events are people planning for next month? I will be hitting up both WOSCA events, the 16th and 23rd. There's also PITL on the 9th and 29th which will be a blast! I will also be getting down to Cayuga for the F2000 driving school, and sticking around for the evening lapping afterwards. Right now I'm on track to win the novice trophy with WOSCA and with some perseverance, get top 10 overall in the series. With those stakes there's no way I can't take every opportunity to improve as a driver. Can't count on car parts for better laps if you can't afford 'em!

There are novice driver awards? DAMN I MISSED OUT.

Whilst I can't make it out to WOSCA events, keep coming out to PITL and I can help you work on things!

Kev

madfunkwilly4 06-19-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by LemonJus (Post 24235270)
There are novice driver awards? DAMN I MISSED OUT.

Whilst I can't make it out to WOSCA events, keep coming out to PITL and I can help you work on things!

Kev

Your help at PITL this weekend is probably the reason why I made 8th in pax at WOSCA. There was a relatively fast hairpin turn and that hand technique combined with looking ahead made me feel really quick going through it. Also I think the only way you should be driving with novices is in the passenger seat lol