S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   Anyone Daily Drive a Civic Type R in Winter (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/anyone-daily-drive-civic-type-r-winter-1191132/)

zeroptzero 01-20-2019 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jaymz (Post 24556581)
There is a guy who daily drives his Type-R up here at the Honda plant in alliston. I'm sure it's not much different than any other new FWD given proper tires.

yeah tires would be the key part of driving one in the winter and keeping your foot out of the accelerator when things get dicey, lol.

haga888 01-21-2019 10:33 AM

Traction control is so good on most modern cars I don't think anything FWD would be an issue. Get good snow tires and I wouldn't worry about it. I drove my 911 all winter last year on 245/305 20" snow tires lol. It's AWD and barely snows anymore in Toronto but still, never had even a little issue with traction.

I bought a Subaru Ascent recently. It's better in snow that the 911. But I hate both the tranny (CVT) and the engine (small laggy like a mofo turbo). Everything else is great though lol.

zeroptzero 01-21-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by haga888 (Post 24556937)
Traction control is so good on most modern cars I don't think anything FWD would be an issue. Get good snow tires and I wouldn't worry about it. I drove my 911 all winter last year on 245/305 20" snow tires lol. It's AWD and barely snows anymore in Toronto but still, never had even a little issue with traction.

I bought a Subaru Ascent recently. It's better in snow that the 911. But I hate both the tranny (CVT) and the engine (small laggy like a mofo turbo). Everything else is great though lol.

Thanks Norm, wow those are some huge winter tires on the Porsche.

I wonder if that is the same engine and tranny combo as in the WRX ? I wasn't able to drive the WRX yet to see if it is laggy or not.

haga888 01-22-2019 06:25 AM

I'm not sure on the WRX tranny/engine combo but the delivery of the power on the Ascent makes perfect for snow in that it doesn't want to kick out or plow. It also makes it boring AF which is probably fine for a 5,000 lb SUV but not sure if that's something a typically WRX owner would want. So I'm guessing the drive train on the WRX is at least slightly different.

fernando. 01-22-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24556591)
yeah tires would be the key part of driving one in the winter and keeping your foot out of the accelerator when things get dicey, lol.

It's no different then any other car, Joey. Just because it has 300hp or whatever it is doesn't mean the accelerator is a on/off switch and it's either 100% power or nothing at all. In Normal/Eco mode these cars feel like a base model civic and drive very tame. At the end of the day it's still a FWD Civic, so with good winter tires there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

No different than trying to drive my truck 395hp/410tq with an empty bed and aggressive A/T (not snow) tires.

clubhopper 01-22-2019 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24556968)
Thanks Norm, wow those are some huge winter tires on the Porsche.

I wonder if that is the same engine and tranny combo as in the WRX ? I wasn't able to drive the WRX yet to see if it is laggy or not.

i think the accent is similar to the wrx but with more displacement. My old Subaru sti with the ej25 had some lag...partly is what made it fun. The latest wrx with its twin scroll turbo you’ll barely notice any turbo lag.

zeroptzero 01-22-2019 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by haga888 (Post 24557184)
I'm not sure on the WRX tranny/engine combo but the delivery of the power on the Ascent makes perfect for snow in that it doesn't want to kick out or plow. It also makes it boring AF which is probably fine for a 5,000 lb SUV but not sure if that's something a typically WRX owner would want. So I'm guessing the drive train on the WRX is at least slightly different.

good to know , thanks Norm. I'll look into that further.

zeroptzero 01-22-2019 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by fernando. (Post 24557254)
It's no different then any other car, Joey. Just because it has 300hp or whatever it is doesn't mean the accelerator is a on/off switch and it's either 100% power or nothing at all. In Normal/Eco mode these cars feel like a base model civic and drive very tame. At the end of the day it's still a FWD Civic, so with good winter tires there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

No different than trying to drive my truck 395hp/410tq with an empty bed and aggressive A/T (not snow) tires.

Thanks Fernando, that makes sense, yeah If your truck is okay then the Civic should be fine with proper tires. Thanks

noodels 01-22-2019 12:27 PM

Yes ^^put 4 space savers on :LOL:

zeroptzero 01-26-2019 10:53 AM

I had a test drive today in a Subaru WRX. The WRX hit all of the bases for me, a rather nice platform for a daily driver. A WRX Sport has pretty much everything I need, and it runs quite well. Oddly enough Subaru wants to pay more money for my Honda trade than our local Honda dealers will pay.

I have an appointment Monday to look at a CTR at a local Honda dealer.

While at the Subaru dealer I had a chance to sit in a sport BRZ. While it isn't the type of car I need right now, I have to say the BRZ is very nice , the seats on the uprated model are amazing, with a nicely finished interior. Having an almost 50/50 weight split is nice, an available torsen LSD and Brembo brakes, plus high quality Sachs dampers. It has 4 seats if you should ever need them, though the rear seats are very tiny. RWD is nice as a 3 season car, but I wouldn't want to drive one in winter. I was rather impressed with the layout of the car.