Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Anyone that has dealt with insurance before please help!

Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone that has dealt with insurance before please help!

I've debated for a long time on whether to ask this question on here or not. But I've made up my mind after a week

On December 18th 1 a.m. in the morning, I was waiting to turn left at this intersection (hwy7 and valleymede). I was the first car in line to turn left.
When the "left turn signal only" traffic light lit up, I proceeded to make the left turn. That's when an old VW Passat ran a red light and hit the passenger rear of my car. It wasn't too major of an accident. At least not major enough to make a visit to the hospital

First thing I did was get out of the car and stopped everyone who witnessed the accident. Several witnesses remained in the scene.
Cops came, charged the other guy (I didn't get charged. Car had to be towed since my passenger side rear wheel got hit so hard that it's out of alignment.
passenger side quarter panel, rear bumper, passenger side taillight, rims, suspension definitely need to be replaced (along with a lot of other parts I'm sure).

Anyways, thanks for reading all that although that is not part of the problem.

So here are the problems:
1.) The appraiser has already looked at the vehicle (just the exterior, he didn't remove the rear bumper and quarter panel to evaluate the damage of the vehicle), and told me (according to his experience), that it is fixable and the insurance company will most likely repair it than writing it off. I've been told by others that cars just don't perform as well even if it's repaired by an amazing body shop due to unibody damage, suspension alignment etc. I told the appraiser over the phone about this concern and he said "That's a misconcept most people have, if it's done properly, it should drive like new". I know insurance company people bs a lot sometimes just to keep their cost down, but I'm not too sure if this is true, so I would love to know.
2.) Another thing is, the tow company towed to Sisley Honda body shop (which is in the middle of Vaughan somewhere. sketchy place...). Do I get to choose where I want my vehicle to be fixed at? I was thinking of moving the car to Speedstar (<- Edited, always thot speedstar was an autobody shop haha.. my bad) or other body shop that has dealt with large amount of S2000 before.
3.) Lastly, the appraiser doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about. I have a feeling he will give me a pretty bad estimate of what the actual repair should be. Ultimately, I rather get a big cheque from them and buy my own parts instead (if that's even possible). And upgrade anything at my expense

Anyways, I still hope he can total it though I doubt he would since it really doesn't look major.
Will upload pics tonight!
Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear quarter cannot be removed. Its spot welded to the frame of the car. Roughly how fast was the car that hit you traveling? If it hit the wheel and suspension the strut tower which is attached to the unibody frame has a high probability of being tweaked. Your control arms also need to be replaced, possibly lower subframe etc. The big concern here is stuff being twisted out of alignment anything attached to the suspension is suspect and bends pretty easily when impacted from the side like that.

Whats the mileage on your S2000? Whats the year of the car? What kind of wheels were on your car?

When it comes to rear end damage like that the cost to bring it back is usually really high on an s2000 since the cost of new suspension and subframe components is high.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:20 AM

1. they can do a tear down to see more damage underneath the panels that might increase the value of how much they are willing to spend on repairs (rear-end components are cheaper to fix than frontend so they won't write it off, my friend got rear ended and they were willing to pay 24gs to repair the car, even though it was rebuilt title 07 s2000)
2. they take it to preferred insurance shop, since appraiser took a look at the car.. likelyhood of moving it to another shop is slim at this point
3. tell them to use all brand new parts rather than used parts, you can't buy the parts yourself.. they give cheque to the repair facility not the owner of the car

it all comes down to which insurance company you're with, some like to dick around more than others, remember they are trying to save as much as they can
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
The rear quarter cannot be removed. Its spot welded to the frame of the car. Roughly how fast was the car that hit you traveling? If it hit the wheel and suspension the strut tower which is attached to the unibody frame has a high probability of being tweaked. Your control arms also need to be replaced, possibly lower subframe etc. The big concern here is stuff being twisted out of alignment anything attached to the suspension is suspect and bends pretty easily when impacted from the side like that.

Whats the mileage on your S2000? Whats the year of the car? What kind of wheels were on your car?

When it comes to rear end damage like that the cost to bring it back is usually really high on an s2000 since the cost of new suspension and subframe components is high.
mine is an 06. all stock except for rpf1.
the car that hit me was travelling roughly 50 maybe? but then he braked hard when he saw my car, so that reduced the impact speed by a lot.
the whole rear suspension and components related such as control arms hv to be replaced for sure. they're all bent
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mancyk86
1. they can do a tear down to see more damage underneath the panels that might increase the value of how much they are willing to spend on repairs (rear-end components are cheaper to fix than frontend so they won't write it off, my friend got rear ended and they were willing to pay 24gs to repair the car, even though it was rebuilt title 07 s2000)
2. they take it to preferred insurance shop, since appraiser took a look at the car.. likelyhood of moving it to another shop is slim at this point
3. tell them to use all brand new parts rather than used parts, you can't buy the parts yourself.. they give cheque to the repair facility not the owner of the car

it all comes down to which insurance company you're with, some like to dick around more than others, remember they are trying to save as much as they can
wow.. 24g?? i'll be more than happy if they total it and give me 24g LOL
the body shop seems sketchy.. i just called my adjuster and she was ok with me towing the car to another compound at my own expense. any open suggestions are welcome if you guys know anyone that has dealt with large amount of s2000s
im with allstate-pafco right now. the appraiser seem to stand firm.
but wt concerns me most is the dimished value.. not that i wud sell my car soon if it's fixed properly
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

When our crv was hit 2 years ago I specified the shop I wanted it repaired at. My father is a body man so I wanted it fixed by him. He Works at the registered shop to do repairs for hondas. I'd post up some pictures, I could see what he thinks the repairs would roughly cost.

The shop that does the repair work is preferred by the insurance company. Make sure the shop a five star rating and is member of the CSN (collision solution network). If the shop doesn't fix the car properly they will be on the hook for repairing it again. IE. if the frame isn't straight after repair the work could be done by another shop at the expense of the initial shop.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by ATNCHN
Originally Posted by mancyk86' timestamp='1356376820' post='22228083

wow.. 24g?? i'll be more than happy if they total it and give me 24g LOL
the body shop seems sketchy.. i just called my adjuster and she was ok with me towing the car to another compound at my own expense. so im thinking of speedstar atm. but other open suggestions are welcome if you guys know anyone else that dealt with large amount of s2000s
im with allstate-pafco right now. the appraiser seem to stand firm.
but wt concerns me most is the dimished value.. not that i wud sell my car soon if it's fixed properly
Speedstar is a body shop now too?

The body shop I took my car to is in Etobicoke and he has worked on most of the Level One guys cars. He does outstanding body work and can match paint perfectly.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think Speedstar does repair body work but I could be wrong.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k
I didnt think they did, but maybe they are affiliated with a body shop near by ?
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Reapur
Originally Posted by myflys2k' timestamp='1356379389' post='22228169
I didnt think they did, but maybe they are affiliated with a body shop near by ?
actually i dun rly know loool
i will make sure of everything first before i tow haha xD

Quick Reply: Anyone that has dealt with insurance before please help!