Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Ap1 Headlight Amber Removal

Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap1 Headlight Amber Removal

Hi I am looking to get the amber diffuser's removed from my headlights.

I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to do it and how much would it cost? I would like someone who has had experience in doing this successfully ie clean reseal and no condensation after reinstall.

Or if anyone knows any shops that I could bring it to that would be great as well

Thanks for any advice

Mike
Old 05-04-2016, 10:19 AM

Hey, it's not hard. I've done this on my old AP1 and basically just stick it into your oven one at a time.
Cook it until the seal is soft enough to come off. They aren't going to melt.
When you reseal, just apply the silicone sealant material liberally (can always wipe off after).

If you're interested I still have an old set of AP1 headlights for sale if you mess up.....dirt cheap.
Read this for instructions:

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf

Old 05-04-2016, 11:36 AM

I would recommend using Butyl instead of silicone as it is less messy (although not by much) and easier to mold. I used it when changing the lenses on my AP2 headlights. I put a nice beaded seal all around the headlight just to be extra sure no moisture got in and since our headlights are mostly set inside the fender you dont see where the Butyl/Silicone is (shame really cuz it actually looked good when I was done lol). My Lights have had no condensation since.

I also used a heat gun instead of the oven, although it was a !@#$% to get those suckers to come apart. They place some Butyl literally inside the lense so you cant really get direct access to softening it. This may not have been the case if the oven was used and may also not be the case for AP1 lights. Best I can suggest is whichever way you choose, once they have been heated act quick before the butyl re-hardens. And also be VERY careful when heating or prying on any of the plastic tabs that snap the lense to the housing or they may break or bend out of place.

Goodluck!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if your in Markham area, WiredRidez will remove your headlight cover and reseal back again. Service cost $50 each headlight.

Had them worked on my AP2 tails a month ago.

Johnny
WiredRidez 416-832-1444
Old 05-05-2016, 05:08 AM

If you have even the slightest chip or such on one of your headlights, use a heat gun rather than the oven, as it might cause spider cracks to form.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 AM

Thanks guys appreciate the advice. I think I will give WiredRidez a call and see. I just don't trust myself doing this and don't really have the time.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 AM

if your in Markham area, WiredRidez will remove your headlight cover and reseal back again. Service cost $50 each headlight.
For that price I would highly suggest it. I wish I knew about that before I tried to do mine lol

The effort and material cost are hardly worth the risk compared to a $100 bill. Take pictures before and after to make sure they dont cause any damage to the lights with their work.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM

I agree. Just the cost to pick up a heat gun (If I went that route) and silicon or whatever sealant would be close to that. Good idea on taking pics I will do that ... headlights currently are in perfect shape so I would like them back that way.

When I have time to do this I will post up pics and experience if anyone else is interested.

Thanks

Originally Posted by CR EH
For that price I would highly suggest it. I wish I knew about that before I tried to do mine lol

The effort and material cost are hardly worth the risk compared to a $100 bill. Take pictures before and after to make sure they dont cause any damage to the lights with their work.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Headlights

Originally Posted by BB1-AP1
Hey, it's not hard. I've done this on my old AP1 and basically just stick it into your oven one at a time.
Cook it until the seal is soft enough to come off. They aren't going to melt.
When you reseal, just apply the silicone sealant material liberally (can always wipe off after).

If you're interested I still have an old set of AP1Pheadlights for sale if you mess up.....dirt cheap.
Read this for instructions:

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf

You still have the headlights for sale?