Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

cheap drl substitute

Old 01-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cheap drl substitute

is there a cheap solution to adding drl to a 2006 s2000? my car came with hids and i dont really want to buy the old wiring to fix it. i need it to pass the safety for riv.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2006 had DRL standard in usa.? did the lights get changed?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave
2006 had DRL standard in usa.? did the lights get changed?
yes. there was aftermarket hid lights installed. i dont have the stock wiring to install drls back on.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Why would someone install aftermarket HIDs when it comes OEM with HIDs? Or they installed HIDs for the high beams? Did they retrofit projectors or just plugged the HID bulb into the high beam slot? If it's just that most of those kits are plug and play and you might be able to just unplug the ballasts and plug the normal bulb back in.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by samson123
is there a cheap solution to adding drl to a 2006 s2000? my car came with hids and i dont really want to buy the old wiring to fix it. i need it to pass the safety for riv.
The cheap solution is to run a Denso relay that supplies ground when it is energized with 12 v power, run the ground wire output to the wire behind the lighting switch/stalk and you will have HID's running 24/7 when the engine is running or with 12v ignition power. That will pass the safety RIV test, I had that on my car for a short time, but I sold it afterwards as I didn't want to run HID's all the time.

I now run a custom LED setup that runs off dash mounted switch.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 01-12-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The cheap solution is to run a Denso relay that supplies ground when it is energized with 12 v power, run the ground wire output to the wire behind the lighting switch/stalk and you will have HID's running 24/7 when the engine is running or with 12v ignition power. That will pass the safety RIV test, I had that on my car for a short time, but I sold it afterwards as I didn't want to run HID's all the time.

I know run a custom LED setup that runs off dash mounted switch.
i think thats my only option at this point. do you know if there is a diy on this? im not very knowledgeable about electrical, this just sounds like gibberish to me lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by samson123
i think thats my only option at this point. do you know if there is a diy on this? im not very knowledgeable about electrical, this just sounds like gibberish to me lol.
No sorry I don't know of any for what I used, but it is a very simple setup and very easy to install.

Basically - You just need a relay that supplies ground as an output when it receives 12 volt power, the 12 volt power side of the relay goes to the spare slot in the under dash fuse box. The output side which supplies ground is to be spliced into the lighting wire that runs off the light switch/stalk, the relay is also grounded, so three wires in total. When ground is supplied to the light switch wire it turns on the HID's , the relay puts out a ground output whenever it receives 12 volt power. Turn on the ignition , and the car supplies the relay with 12 volt power, the relay then sends ground to the light switch = HIDs turn on.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

No sorry I don't know of any for what I used, but it is a very simple setup and very easy to install.

Basically - You just need a relay that supplies ground as an output when it receives 12 volt power, the 12 volt power side of the relay goes to the spare slot in the under dash fuse box. The output side which supplies ground is to be spliced into the lighting wire that runs off the light switch/stalk, the relay is also grounded, so three wires in total. When ground is supplied to the light switch wire it turns on the HID's , the relay puts out a ground output whenever it receives 12 volt power. Turn on the ignition , and the car supplies the relay with 12 volt power, the relay then sends ground to the light switch = HIDs turn on.
Super easy.

Makes complete sense to me but I am an Electronics Engineering Tech, average guy may not find it so simple. Besides, it's not like you are chopping into the wiring harness of a civic, these cars are a little expensive now.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:58 PM

sounds straight forward. i think once i look at all the areas of the car you are talking about, i will understand it. is there a specific deso 12v model that i should get? or will they all work fine?
Old 01-12-2017, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hfreak
Super easy.

Makes complete sense to me but I am an Electronics Engineering Tech, average guy may not find it so simple. Besides, it's not like you are chopping into the wiring harness of a civic, these cars are a little expensive now.
I'm a white-collar pencil-pushing bloke who knows nothing about electronics, if I can do it , then anyone can do it.

OP you may have to take it to a professional and have it done for you, some Honda dealers will do it, I know my local Honda dealer used to do it for customers.

Quick Reply: cheap drl substitute