Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

City Suspension Repairs

Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default City Suspension Repairs

My father has gone through almost 4 sets of rims on his 2001 S4 (this being his 4th now that has to be purchased) due to all the pot holes and road problems of toronto. This is getting quite annoying and even after bending and rebending the rims back in to shape, new ones are in order, and possibly even the suspension which has suffered a bit due to similar problems. I would imagine trying to claim back the other sets of rims which were purchased will be quite difficult, and would have to cut my losses and just focus on this new change.

My father, my brother and I all try to drive with caution and avoid any problems, but when you are glued to the phone for business as in my father's case, its tough to truly keep your mind focused and manover around all the problems on the road. All 4 rims (on all the sets, including the stockies) have had to been bent back into place.

How do I go abouts in processing the claim. What is required? The car isn't just driven on a regular route day after day, it goes all over the city and there arn't too many potholes which I can single out as that did it, rather a slue of them.

Will they also pay for replacing the suspension, but what are the rules on that, just back to OE, or similar, i.e. Billstein PSS or PSS9, slight upgrade over OE.

How long does the whole process take?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ^AnDre^,Apr 5 2007, 01:24 PM
My father, my brother and I all try to drive with caution and avoid any problems, but when you are glued to the phone for business as in my father's case, its tough to truly keep your mind focused and manover around all the problems on the road.
I think you should be happy with that, it could have been worse.

Sorry, after almost getting run off the road a few times by people talking on the phone, I have no pity.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:59 AM

Yeah - if youre telling me that being on the phone is the issue because he cant devote full attention to driving, no pity from me, either.

Ive not once had a bent rim from Toronto roads on my 35 series tires.

Replace "pot holes" in your post with "little kids" and see if your rational still holds.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:24 AM

ok, well would someone tell me if they would like to drive a 3800 lbs car with cast rims and then tell me how long it takes for them to turn some rims into mush.

I am not asking for pitty. I am asking for information on how to process the claim. I have been run off the road because of people doing the same thing as well. When I had my 944 I needed a whole new rear axel from being forced onto a curb.

The issue is not being on the phone. It is merley a point. Regardless if he was on the phone or not, the wheels are still bent.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 AM

I bet you could find information about it on toronto.ca

Ive looked a bit, but nothings come up. I know there is a program for exactly that though.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:19 AM

From http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_8729.aspx March 13/2007 (so it's current)

Beyond Repairs

So you've been driving through Toronto's pothole ridden streets when your car hits one of those monsters head on.

Before you know it, your front end is out of alignment and your back end is in spasm.

And your car's not so good, either.

If one of those gigantic gaps damages your automobile, do you have any way of getting the city to repair it? Turns out you do, but like most things in government, you have to cut through some red tape to make it happen.

Here's how to stake your claim and undo the damage:

City of Toronto

First you have to prove it was the city's fault. Toronto's legal department never pays out a claim without a thorough investigation first.

Needless to say, the powers-that-be suggest you go through your insurance company first.

But if you decide to pursue the complaint, you have to submit it in writing. The claim has to include the time, date and location of the incident, a description of what happened, and a damage estimate.

And don't wait. Any such bid for compensation has to be done, in the city's underlined words, "immediately".

Address your note to:

City Clerk's Office,
City Hall,
100 Queen Street West,
Toronto.
M5H 2N2

Fax: (416) 392-1867

Or you can email: clerk@toronto.ca

But even then you're not finished. Two weeks later, you'll get another letter in the mail acknowledging receipt of your complaint and if it's found valid, another form to fill out.

For more information, call (416) 397-4212.