S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   custom exhaust system maybe? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/custom-exhaust-system-maybe-1145093/)

A. Dos Santos 02-04-2016 07:28 AM

custom exhaust system maybe?

Hello all,
Currently I have a 70mm invidia N1 on my car, with a 70mm invidia test pipe, and as many of you know, this is ridiculously loud for any circumstance.

So I'm looking for a new exhaust system.
I was heavily considering going with a custom system, but I don't know anything about custom setups so maybe someone can help me out:

cost - (?)
what canister they would use - would I need to supply my own or do they have their own?
How would it fit compared to aftermarket? - would the tip be sticking out too far? not enough? would it be hitting anything? rattling, rubbing etc?
is there anything I should ask for specifically? I.E. mandrell vs crushed pipes, SS vs just normal steel, exhaust hanger locations?

Or do I just hand them a wad of cash, wait a few hours and come back to an s2000 that doesn't sound like a vuvuzela attached to open headers?

some info if it helps:
My preferences:
- 70mm piping is a must.
- single exit for weight savings
- preferably a non-fartcannon looking canister (think q300 as a canister)
- 800$ is kinda my max budget for this.
- will be looking to get a tune in the future.

My ideal exhaust system would be the ASM 70mm single exit, but 1400$ is too much for me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

s2jizzer 02-04-2016 08:52 AM

Very simple, you already know what you want and with a budget of $800 you have plenty of wiggle room. Contact a fabricator of your choice (plenty in the GTA) or your local exhaust shop and discuss it with them. 3 inch mandrel bent or pie cuts for very tight radius which will essentially make your exhaust pretty straight and give you the best flow. The type of stainless you prefer will also effect the cost, and whether you want it mig or tig welded. The particular muffler or tip is obviously your choice and you decide how it sits and how far out it sticks. Why would it rub or rattle, it's a custom made piece unless the guy is a Yoyo that's not a worry you should have.

iDomN8U 02-04-2016 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by s2jizzer (Post 23871437)
Very simple, you already know what you want and with a budget of $800 you have plenty of wiggle room. Contact a fabricator of your choice (plenty in the GTA) or your local exhaust shop and discuss it with them. 3 inch mandrel bent or pie cuts for very tight radius which will essentially make your exhaust pretty straight and give you the best flow. The type of stainless you prefer will also effect the cost, and whether you want it mig or tig welded. The particular muffler or tip is obviously your choice and you decide how it sits and how far out it sticks. Why would it rub or rattle, it's a custom made piece unless the guy is a Yoyo that's not a worry you should have.

In for an update, let us know how much it would cost for a single 70mm exhaust with a resonator and muffler. I'm betting you'll pass the $800 (closer to 1000) when it's all said and done.

Also 70mm muffler/resonator + piping is tougher to get and therefore more expensive. You can get 2.5" or 3.0" all day long however.

s2jizzer 02-04-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U (Post 23871601)

Originally Posted by s2jizzer' timestamp='1454608367' post='23871437

In for an update, let us know how much it would cost for a single 70mm exhaust with a resonator and muffler. I'm betting you'll pass the $800 (closer to 1000) when it's all said and done.

Also 70mm muffler/resonator + piping is tougher to get and therefore more expensive. You can get 2.5" or 3.0" all day long however.

70mm is 2.75". Just go with 3" :thumbup:

myflys2k 02-04-2016 04:35 PM

I'm making my own 3" exhaust for my project car but I pretty much have no choice. I got a good deal on the 3" mandrel pieces so I'm quite pumped up to make it. Depending on how things go I'll probably make one for my s2000 as well. Good luck and post up pictures when it's done. :thumbup:

Chuck S 02-05-2016 03:40 AM

There's some research and engineering in an exhaust system if you're looking for performance. Just welding pipe together is unlikely to achieve any performance. Lots of good, proven systems out there. The HKS single is well regarded. Measured at 96dBA so it's much quieter than your Q300.

-- Chuck

kryptonite 02-05-2016 09:32 AM

:iagree:

iDomN8U 02-05-2016 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by kryptonite (Post 23872487)
:iagree:

I don't agree :exit:

It's just some piping, thier all pretty much the same. Unless you put a 2" muffler on 3" piping, I can't see the engineering behind it.

jvf1 02-05-2016 10:40 AM

And the debate begins! lol

kryptonite 02-05-2016 10:47 AM

welp I was agreeing to the HKS single bit not so much the rest of it. I'm more about the piping was designed to fit the vehicle, it's cheap enough, sounds good. Why bother with a custom