Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Dealer or independant shop for non-warranty?

Old 02-22-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer or independant shop for non-warranty?

It's time for an oil change, and I figured I'd do the tranny and diff at the same time. Just wondering if anyone can recommend an independant shop, since most dealers won't allow you to watch while they perform the work. I'm planning on going all Amsoil synthetic, and want to be sure they actually put it in, instead of keeping it and using something else. Is there any other way to be sure? How hard is it to do the diff and tranny fluid changes myself?

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't generalize about ALL dealers.

i've had a myriad of cars over the years and i've never heard of any dealer that WON'T put in what i/you give them....

of course, there are exceptions to every rule - but certainly not the norm.

formula honda in scarborough will probably do it all for a couple of hours of labour.

btw, do you live on eastridge?

regards.
Old 02-22-2002, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TKG 26
don't generalize about ALL dealers.
I don't think it's called generalizing when it's true. I don't know any dealers that will allow you to watch while they service your car. The usual excuse is "insurance reasons", whether it's true or not. Sure, they may allow you back there for a few minutes, but never for the entire duration.

I've heard nothing but good about Formula. But when I called them today to make an appointment, I asked them what synthetic oils they offerred. They transfered me to the "lubrication technician" as they said, and this person told me "Synthetic is a brand name, there are no other kinds". Huh? I didn't want to insult him by asking if he picked up the wrong line. They had no problem with me bringing my own oil, and I never meant to imply they would refuse to do what I asked them (unlike Mr. Lube).

The last time I took my Odyssey to Ideal, it came back with a HUGE gouge out of the rear rim from someone grinding it against a curb. It was only a month old. Did I complain? No - because I couldn't prove it was them, and they knew it. Similar thing happened to my 740 at Town and Country BMW - I got it back with a scuffed up bumper. Thank god it was on the removeable trim which was less than $100 to replace. The next time my cars go in for service, I'm having them sign a visible damage sheet like the ones they use at car rental agencies.

It's experiences like these that fuel my ongoing distrust of dealerships. At least with the sales side, everything's in writing. But with the service side, you just never know.