Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Do you T.O S2k owners...

Old 09-30-2001, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you T.O S2k owners...

...drive your S2K all year long? Through typical Toronto winter?

I have searched through all the related threads but figure I might be able to get a more precise feedback as I am from Toronto as well (and I know it's not a pretty experience).

I understand that tires do make a huge difference (or do they? specifically in T.O?). How bout the chassis-rusting, penal-eating salt we seem to be graced a lot other than the tax?

thanks in adavnce guys,
Old 09-30-2001, 02:36 PM
Former Moderator

I personally garage my car during the winter. But I know a few people that drive them thru out the cold months. They do live in the downtown core though.
First thing is tires, They suck when cold. Even now with 23k on my car, as beautiful as it was out today, I was slding all over the place. I can't imagine winter like that. Although, I have heard that a good set of Snows, can take you thru pretty much 90%of the winter, save for the major snowstorms.

As for salt and such, They way they make cars now-adays it's not as much of a concern as it used to be, assuming that you wont still have the car 15 years form now. But being Anal as I am, I don't have the heart to subject my car to this either.

Either way, if you take the proper care when driving thru the bad weather, you most likely will be just fine. I see alot more sport-utes in the ditch over the winter then I do RWD cars.

Mike
Old 09-30-2001, 04:15 PM

I concur with Mike. This car in this climate deserves a long winters nap.

I've got my garage all setup and ready to keep it warm in the winter. I wouldn't want to drive it in the winter anyhow, even with the hardtop I would think it wouldn't be the safest thing on four wheels.

I'll stick to my truck for a few months. Its going to be a long winter regardless of long it really is..I can't even stand not driving it for a few days let alone months.

Probably going to mothball it at the end of october.

Vince
Old 10-03-2001, 09:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FC,

i drive my car in winter (i have a hardtop)

i suggest you put a set of snows (i have blizzak MZ-01's) on the stock wheels - same sizes as stock.

my 225 snows seem to have the same tread width as the OEM S-02's.

i tried the snows on cheap aftermarket wheels that did not have the same offset as stock (close, but not identical) and the car was brutal - it was all over the place.

i can't emphasize enough, how important it is to keep the "track" of the car stock.

other than that, just change your driving habits and respect the weather.

remember, the car's not too torquey (it's not a mustang/vette) so you'll be fine.

oh yeah, and wash your car frequently - really frequently.

besides, i think we only had about 10-12 days of really bad snow - most of the time it's dry, just wet or light snow/slush.

there was only 1 DAY when i didn't want to take a chance and drive and had to take the GO to work - no big deal.

hope this helps.

vince/mike - come on. you must drive it SOMETIMES in winter - how do you keep your hands off it for such a long time? you guys got willpower (and you're nuts)

nimesh

ps sorry guys, can't make it on the 14th - just found out we're pregnant and we're having a religious ceremony that day.

let me know if the date changes though.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:53 AM

I had a totally clean Fiero. (Yes, I know...a Fiero. ) It was so clean that when I took it to a garage for service, the mechanics would gather under it to admire how clean and shiney everything was. All the parts (frame, suspension, engine) were painted.

I was forced to drive it a couple months one winter because my work car broke down. Those 2 months of salt and grime left EVERYTHING under the car rusted and nasty.

Ok... it probably wasn't the best paint and rustproofing, but I'm not taking any chances. My S2000 will be hibernating this winter.

If you do drive yours in the winter, be careful!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:01 AM
Former Moderator

I just sit in the garage and make vroom vroom noises
the sad thing is I'm serious
Old 06-21-2004, 04:16 AM

^We know you were Mike, and we are still concerned!
Old 06-21-2004, 04:48 AM

are we that bored in diggin up old threads again?
Old 06-21-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i confess i have sat in my car in the winter and pretended