Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Drove 4 different cars over the weekend!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove 4 different cars over the weekend!

suspension mod S2000 vs paw pwr Mod Mini vs stk M3 vs stk Jaguar XKR

(for folk who still drive S2000's) If anyone gets the chance to some one else's S2k, i highly recommend it. It's amazing how no two feel the same, especially with a few bolt on mods.

Mikey has one of the oldest s2ks around. Having driven the M3 for a while now, I can see how magazine testers who jump out of an AMG SLK and into an S2000 complain about torque. Driving around a few side streets and it's a real let down. Unless you're over 6k rpm and diving into corners, it feels like there's only a hamster under the hood.

That said, the steering response is razor sharp. It almost turns as you think it, rather than turn the wheel. and in my opinion it was the best handling car I drove this weekend.

Next was the pawpwr Mini. The mini really had the grunt the honda was missing. The motor pulls well right up to 100 right through the powerband (that's as fast as i went behind speedstar). Handling was also very responsive but not quite as telepathic as the honda. (Dog ensures me that its quicker with the DSC off) The cabin would take some getting used to. First, there are cables all over the place, looks like you sitting behind your home theatre, with plugs and connections everywhere. Secondly, feel a bit like you're sitting in a glass box. Very unlike the wrapped in feeling of the other cars.

Handling is still very good and combined with the power, would make this a great daily driver, especially around the city, weaving through traffic and blasting past streetcars.

drove the new Jag XKR cab on Sunday and the Jaguar/Land Rover experience.

Had an hour with the new XKR on the street, highway and a little autox course.

With 420bhp, it has the power the Mikey's S2000 was missing. Nice pull like doggies Mini (must be the S/C)

The other thing that was really impressive was the automatic transmission. (yes believe it or not) Shift are super fast, maybe faster than my SMG M3 set on 6 with dsc off. The only part that bugs me it that it will upshift if you hit the redline instead of kicking in the limiter.

Still a big fat squishy car... instantly felt 20 yrs older. What's a real let down is this car is essentially a AMV... (i guess with more fat and less noise)

I think the gearing is too high because it felt slower and less responsive than my M3. Suspension is also the softest of everything I drove. Finally on the autoX course, it really felt like a boat, pitching for side to side and diving when braking.

In the end, i'm much happier with my car. Power is great, handles well enough, (no mini or s2k though) comfortable... and oh yeah. Paid for.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Former Moderator

I don't have the energy to post that much,

But likewise I took the same cars for a spin, and Cory's as well.

The Paw Power was surprising, all this time I've been driving mine and missing out on cheap power. It was way more fun then I thought it would be.

Ron, love the torque in your car, I can see why jumping into mine would make it feel slow. It would take me a while to get used to the SMG, at least so I could shift it smooth. Thing is, even though it's a manual, in my head it still felt like an auto.. I guess with out the clutch peddal, it seems there is only one other option.

Cory's car handled great, felt similar to mine, though no two ever feel the same. The LSD makes a racket I couldn't live with, sounds like the rear end is going to fall off, but its nicely balanced. The rear grip sucked though.. You'll need to change your tires a couple 1000km early Cory
Old 06-11-2007, 11:16 AM

the new cooper s engine pulls even harder... it goes to 150 and still pulls
Old 06-11-2007, 02:05 PM

As to the mini, at the end of the day your still driving a fwd car with a French engine and paw prints . . .
Old 06-11-2007, 02:09 PM

If the Mini was a bit cheaper, I would've went for the 07. But their sales and their pricing suckal'd my ass. Hence I went for the good ol'd Germans. None the less, amazing car in its class.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by S2kRob,Jun 11 2007, 05:05 PM
As to the mini, at the end of the day your still driving a fwd car with a French engine and paw prints . . .
And at the end of the day you're still pushing your life partner's hemorrhoids into his colon, but we don't mock the joy you have with it.

Still newer than your car too I might add.

Yes its a friggen hoot, and sorry Ron, I should have cleaned it up a bit....I haven't had the time.

Next time I'll have some other goodies for it.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 PM

^Vince, wasn't it you that was able to find that dog sex video Saturday? Mmmmmm?????
Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM

****ing guy has the querest shit on the boards and he's giving me hell!

Too bad I missed the occassion of seeing him in person on Sat. heh.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Jun 11 2007, 01:40 PM
Cory's car handled great, felt similar to mine, though no two ever feel the same. The LSD makes a racket I couldn't live with, sounds like the rear end is going to fall off, but its nicely balanced. The rear grip sucked though.. You'll need to change your tires a couple 1000km early Cory
I let you drive my car... Spoon bumper and all... and this is thanks I get?!

The rears might be bald from breaking in the LSD. Albert had to do figure eights for 45 minutes. But I'm loving the car all over again! You can throw it into a drift now and the rear refused to break loose.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mannn,Jun 11 2007, 03:16 PM
the new cooper s engine pulls even harder... it goes to 150 and still pulls
They moved from SC to turbo. I drove the new one, you definitely feel the difference

Quick Reply: Drove 4 different cars over the weekend!