S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   Engine Rebuild (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/engine-rebuild-1186942/)

Niuniu32 07-30-2018 04:22 PM

Engine Rebuild

Does anyone know a good shop for like a basic refresh of a motor, not looking for like a fully rebuild, the basic check through the motor and stuff.

Hfreak 07-30-2018 06:01 PM

I would not advise opening up the engine unless there is an issue, not many have the skills or knowledge.

clubhopper 07-31-2018 03:53 AM

First step, Get a compression and leakdown test done. If you hear valve train noise then you may need a valve adjustment. Anywhere can do these things...hell I can even do this in my home garage.

If those numbers are good then I wouldn’t open the engine unless you’ve got a major problem from the test results. Doesn’t make sense to tear down the motor to check things unless you commit to a rebuild as it’s so labour intensive and once you have things apart I wouldn’t just stick it back in.

Niuniu32 08-04-2018 10:35 PM

Over Reved

so i over reved, just a little you know worried about the engine since last oil change it has quit a lot of brass material.

deanob 08-05-2018 03:02 PM

You probably just spun a bearing. You can do a bottom end refresh without pulling the motor. Any competent shop should be able to do it. If you have an AP1 then do a valve train upgrade as well. Good luck OP.

clubhopper 08-06-2018 05:23 PM

Hopefully you have a minor spun rod bearing. Which can be done from the bottom. Honda carries serveral
rod bearing sizes. Will have to inspect crank numbers, and bearing cap area to figure out the right bearing size, and plastigauge/mic to check.

you have to pull the pan to inspect for any chunks to see if your oil is contaminated. Too bad you couldn’t cut your old oil filter in half to see.

A spun main bearing is much more harder and requires so much to be pulled that you might as well pull the motor! But it’s still possible to do on the car lol...but highly painful

starchland 08-07-2018 04:43 AM

Check the vtec solenoid screen. How do you properly measure the crank while in the car, for roundness, etc?

Shine a light up into the bore while your there and check for any scoring on the cylinder walls.

clubhopper 08-07-2018 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24497075)
Check the vtec solenoid screen. How do you properly measure the crank while in the car, for roundness, etc?

Shine a light up into the bore while your there and check for any scoring on the cylinder walls.

in a pinch i can mic and plastigauge a rod journal...but its such a pain to do it on your back.

starchland 08-07-2018 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by clubhopper (Post 24497228)
in a pinch i can mic and plastigauge a rod journal...but its such a pain to do it on your back.

Plastigauge yes but do you feel it is possible to get enough accurate mic measurements to tell if it's usable?

clubhopper 08-07-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24497241)

Plastigauge yes but do you feel it is possible to get enough accurate mic measurements to tell if it's usable?

Possible yes. Annoying much yes.

I should be able to find 2 positions x and y for a rod journal at Bottom dead Center of that particular cylinder. But it’s not fun at all.

mic’ing the rod bore is another story...piston has to come out for that. But since hypothetically if it’s spun I’d replace it.

i trust in plastigauge enough to do a clearance check if the rod journal is ok.