Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Ferries...

Old 12-01-2001, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ferries...

I will post more info later, I don't have my newspaper with me. There is a big article in today's Rochester paper about us getting something like 4.5 million dollars of aid to help build Port Rochester for the Ferry. This is great news to me but others will be bummed because some of that money is coming from the new bus terminal we are supposed to be getting.

Who knows, maybe this thing will happen and we can be flying across the water to see each other. It is only about 55 miles across and it is sure to take less than the 3 hours or more it takes me to drive to Toronto. Now if I can just over the intimidation of putting my car on a boat and flying across the water, after all it is only about 800 feet deep...
Old 12-01-2001, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope so. How far is Rochester away from the finger lakes? I hear there are wicked driving roads there. Well worth a two hour ferry ride there and back.

Keeping fingers crossed this thing happens next summer . . .
Old 12-03-2001, 04:53 AM

The article did not contain a boatload of details... According to the story now that we have the money to build Port Rochester we need to see the Canadians commission the construction of the Ferry before we will begin to build the port. Sounds like we are waiting for a strong commitment before we take the next step. It has taken quite a while to get to this point so with luck this project is still alive and will continue to move forward!!!

I'm thinking it would be less than 2-hours, closer to 1.5 hours, just a guess because I have no way of knowing how fast the hydrofoil will travel.

The "Finger Lakes Region" is a very big area! From Rochester driving due south you can get into the area in less than 45 minutes. The roads are plentiful, the scenery is amazing and the wine in becoming some of the best in the country! It is no small wonder I have 49,000 miles on my '85 Nighthawk 650.

I think the ferry project would be a great success!
Old 12-03-2001, 07:26 AM

Oh sure, the cheque is in the mail from us...you bet

I think it'd be really cool. Now re-thinking my thought from last week, I can see US folks vacationing up here as they don't want to fly. A ferry would be an ideal transportation method.

I still don't see us putting up the bucks anytime soon, but maybe the tourism folks are on this bandwagon.

I'd like it...can't imagine doing the cross in the winter, good lord that'd be cold.
Old 12-03-2001, 08:38 AM

I've been contemplating this subject for a long time with my friends because the ferry would be the perfect way for us to run up to Mosport, one of our favorite tracks. The idea that many people seem to have is the influx of American tourists to Toronto would be very high. Your city is a world class place, and many of us are already vacationing there and we would be likely to do so more often if we did not have to drive there and could just jump on the ferry.

I suspect the influx of American dollars would be rather high. I also remember reading that the Canadians were more confident in coming up with their financial backing and it appeared we Americans were going to be the ones that would drop the ball in red tape, Now for what ever reason we seem to be getting our s**t together so this project might be in much better shape that we realize.

The ship would be built in Australia and the designs that I have seen are amazing. The winter when the lake froze the ferry service would be stopped but Spring, Summer and Fall were the 3 seasons it would be active. The hydrofoil was a completely enclosed ship with observation decks, lounges, restaurants and shops on top and then the trucks and cars stowed below deck. Some people would cross with their vehicle and others would just use it as public transportation to and from the two cities.

I believe in positive thinking based upon the law of cause and effect. I'm just doing my part to make as many positive causes as possible. So if you hear/read anything in your media about this - please share!
Old 12-03-2001, 05:21 PM

I hope it works out. It'll be a HUGE time saver driving to the US east coast. Plus, it'll be a boon to trade, and us car fanatics could actually make a day trip of driving through the finger lake region. Sweet!!

As for the ferries, BC Ferry is selling or may have already sold their fast ferries which would be perfect for what we would need.

I have been on a fast ferry from Rome to Sardignia, not a cat, a monohull, and it was pretty wild how fast that thing hauled. Pure, raw, unadulterated horsepower!!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:13 AM

This was all over our local TV news last night. Sounds like the city of Rochester is going to start using the $4.5 million to rebuild the Port of Rochester for the Ferry. It seems the 9/11 situation has made a lot of people start thinking about alternative ways to travel. The hydrofoil is the ferry type that has been mentioned all along. The manufacturer is in Australia. I will try to find some pics today and post a link.
Old 12-04-2001, 07:44 AM

Oh, I didn't realise they're going to be hydrofoils. That is just too cool. Hydrofoils and hovercrafts are two of my favorite machines.
Old 12-05-2001, 05:33 PM

Ya Baby - hydrofoils!!!
They were selected long ago as the way to go because of their speed. I did not yet find a pic or a link but I've been swamped at work. I just hope this project really takes shape! I do not know why this has captured my attention but it has!