Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

First 2016 (or will it be 2017?) NSX Test Drive

Old 10-28-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they should have just put a turbo'd V6 accord engine in there with limited slip diff, keep the weight down to around 3000lbs, 400-450hp and priced it around 50,000 - 60,000$. 200,000$ for this thing is just crazy. The sales are going to be crap, they're going to pull out of the sportscar game for the next 10 years again, and cry about why their sales weren't good because people "don't want sportscars" or something instead of admitting that people don't want their sportscar.

At least they have the right idea with the honda s660. The lead engineer on that project knows exactly what the market wants, but it's too bad he didn't work on this. He was only 23 or 24 working on that project, but seems like japan is loving it so far. (too bad we dont get it.)

this seems like it's a cool car, but it also seems like a very very selective market is going to be picking this up. The rich folks over in dubai would rather buy german/ eurpean/ big name expensive brands, americans would rather buy german/ american. Don't know about the asian market, they may buy it just for brand/ country loyalty, but I've got a strong feeling that price per performance dollar value isn't going to be there for this car.
Not to mention all the waiting for this car has kind of killed the excitement.

Also, no numbers yet, but we'll see how the mazda RX vision will compare performance wise, because if it sticks to the FD RX7's roots, then it should be one hell of a contender to this, and I can believe it because the tires are supposedly 255/285 F/R, which is the same as the GTR, and on a car that's as small as the new RX, it means they're really striving for something. And if they go hybrid, I'm going to sell my s2000 and curl up in a ball and just wait to die because it means that cars are dead and no manufacturer is going to ever make anything interesting again.

I really wish koenigsegg made an affordable car, because it seems like they're the last company that is making cars not just based on marketing gimmicks like hybrid systems. They even opted for a single clutch transmission in their car because it shifts almost the same speed as a dual clutch, but weighs significantly less apparently. Instead of just slapping a dual clutch in there to appease the brochure mongrels, they gave the car what was best for it.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the pre orders are sold this year for Canada atleast.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GoP-Demon
All the pre orders are sold this year for Canada atleast.
well I stand corrected...

I think part of me wanted to see it fail, because I want to see hybrid sports cars in general get bad sales to send a message to manufactures to stick with the normal sportscar recipe. I figured in that price bracket, there aren't any other hybrid sportscars that I can think of, so it wouldn't get good sales because people would take something more pure over it.
But I guess people with that kind of money want heated leather seats with back massagers, a coffee maker and autonomous driving in their sportscars, because who actually wants to drive their sports car in a "sporty" manner, right? that would defeat the purpose of owning it, wouldn't it?

I'm all for innovation, but I want my track toys to be track toys. Not marketing ploys wrapped in the shell of a sportscar. (not like I'll be able to afford one of these anytime soon anyways, but still). Like the ferrari f40 sold so well, and yet it had pull straps instead of door handles. What happened to those kinds of cars? just stupid HP numbers in a shell, manual gearbox, loud clunky deathtrap that went stupid fast.
What happened to the road legal racecars like the carrera GT?
they're neutering so many cars for "liability purposes" or to cater to people who have the money to look fast, but don't want any of the downsides of owning/driving a "fast" car.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought my s2000 because of the raw drivers experience it offers you. I wish every sports car was made under the same mentality as this car.
I didn't mind when cars started getting electronic nannies and a million different gadgets to keep the driver's focus off the road. But now when the technology is forcing entry level "supercars" to be 3800lbs, that's when I get mad. A requirement for a supercar should be that it's lightweight, and weighing the same as a family sedan is not light, doesn't matter how fast around the ring it is. Light is fun. Sportscars are built for fun.

/rant
Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 AM

To be fair I bet Canada got like 10.

I won't rag on its heaviness or feeling until I get a chance to try it... If that ever happens. Or at least into video reviews come out.

I have a feeling the sh sh awd will make it handle well. I really feel like the next gtr will be similar. All the people from Honda in yesterdays promotional video kept saying it handled on rails so it might be OK.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is underestimated here is prestige.

When you start to get into this dollar value range for a sport car, whether it's faster than the Ferrari/Lamborghini/McClaren it still doesn't have the name.

I'm sure performance per $$ is better then most, most clients won't care if they spend 200,000 or 250,000.

The breaking point to the above statement starts at the 100K mark IMO.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by CR EH
It reminds me of the LFA, way higher priced than comparable models, but people still paid the sticker price.

you can still buy a brand new LFA

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/bp/new-l...192812270.html
Old 10-30-2015, 07:14 AM

Even in montreal and vancouver

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/LFA...PO&orup=1_15_2

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/LFA...PO&orup=2_15_2

aw shit the nurburgring one got rid of the active aero?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Honda should have built a high revving NA V6 or V8 powered NSX, all wheel drive, manual tranny and dual clutch options, with all of the technology upgrades and sold it for $80-$100 k. They could have sold those models all day long. At some point they made a Dumb move to aim for Ferrari and the likes, and approached their price point. I'd rather have a Ferrari Italia at any price point above the NSX. It's not a winner going up against Ferrari.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:19 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Said the Italian
Old 10-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Said the Italian
Lol!!

But I agree. At around that price point I'm buying a Porsche or a Ferrari and not an Acura.

Quick Reply: First 2016 (or will it be 2017?) NSX Test Drive