Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Friends S2000 review

Old 07-11-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jezzder,Jul 11 2007, 11:12 PM
you have to admit, compared to something like a Mazda 3, there is NO trunk room.....

and the ride is harsh. Its sweet, but there is no way that it is luxurious. Its not a dis, its just a comparative statement. No need to get all defensive.
and if i compare my car to an ariel atom, the s2k would be like a minivan

wth is the point of comparing a 2 seater roadster to a hatch back that seats 5
Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The steering is tight, heavy and only barely assisted,
^ Does this guy have skinny asian arms? Oh wait, I do and I can still turn the wheel w/ 2 fingers -- sounds like this guy needs to hit the gym. <-- cool new smiley. been waiting for the right occasion to use it.

Can't wait to see the review on the steering for an Elise.

and the miniscule trunk and limited interior space mean a two-person weekend getaway is going to require use of the family minivan.
Jeezus, use a minivan to haul luggage for a 2 person getaway? -- this means all sedans are out of the question too, no? Sounds like a lesson in packing for trips is needed.

FYI, the wife and I were able to haul a mini suitcase + 1 overnight bag and a case of beer (bought @ duty free coming home from Fall Colours) -- that's enough room for me!

edit: the amount we had in our trunk was nothing compared to Marco and his wife. now that's packing!

Owners report that washing their cars in any kind of high-pressure car wash allows moisture to leak in around the roof seals into the area where the top stores.
Guess the owners didn't RTFM. High-pressure wash is a no no for this car -- perhaps this holds true for all verts?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:24 AM

This guy should be taken off. His opinion is as good as an Asian mom who refused to get the S2000 for his 18 year old son.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by comets,Jul 12 2007, 09:24 AM
This guy should be taken off. His opinion is as good as an Asian mom who refused to get the S2000 for his 18 year old son.
or his opinion is as good as the driving skills of the typical asian mom behind the wheel of a beige corolla playing bumper cars in the parking lots of pacific mall and market village?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:41 AM

why would someone review a used car???? maybe the one he drove was ####ed to begin with... bad clutch, shot shocks, etc... what grounds does that stand?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clearly it's the opinion of someone who doesn't know much about cars.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:02 AM

^ used car reviews are valid but focus on those type of reviews should be on cost of maintenance (since new), list of problems that arose, and such.

but yes this review is a bit odd as its written as if it was a new car review on a 7 year old car.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by hyper,Jul 12 2007, 10:25 AM
or his opinion is as good as the driving skills of the typical asian mom behind the wheel of a beige corolla playing bumper cars in the parking lots of pacific mall and market village?
hahaha
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 AM

Good day

I'd like to just reply to this quickly, as Nick is a friend of mine who linked me to this thread. I'm not at all surprised at some of the comments, as thats completely normal when a used car review is read by that particular car's fans on an owners forum such as this.

Wing- your an automotive journalist too, according to your comments. Who do you write for? You don't think the S2000 has a stiff ride? Concrete is an exaggeration perhaps, but it certainly isn't plush. Especially if you've never driven something like it before.

I have indeed driven several S2000's including a used one for the purpose of this review, and a 2006 model last fall. Neither one of them was soft. Maybe where you live has smoother roads than where I live?

The steering comment.. its a stiff and heavy steering as I recall. Electric assist or not, it's still heavy compared to the what the average driver is going to be used to. I don't have little Asian arms either as someone commented. I'm about 5"10 220 lbs, so i can steer just fine.

No glovebox in the traditional sense of a glovebox- as in on the dashboard, passenger side. There is a small slot there for your wallet, iirc. That's not a glovebox, thats a wallet slot.

Small trunk? I went on a road trip and couldn't fit with me everything I wanted to bring without stacking some on the front seat. Sorry if that makes it the worst researched article you've ever read, but the trunk in an S2000 isn't large. I wasn't out of line for saying that.

Your comments about me spewing junk... unwarranted. I'm a member of AJAC and write for publications across Canada, print and online as well as broadcast. Not to toot my own horn, but I don't spew junk- whether you pack more lightly for road trips than I do or not.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:54 AM
BKL

Originally Posted by Pritch,Jul 12 2007, 07:27 AM
The steering comment.. its a stiff and heavy steering as I recall. Electric assist or not, it's still heavy compared to the what the average driver is going to be used to. I don't have little Asian arms either as someone commented. I'm about 5"10 220 lbs, so i can steer just fine.
I am curious, have you driven sporty level BMWs (M series)? Their steering is "heavier" than the s2000

Of course on these cars they are "heavier" than the average sedan, that's why they are sports cars, because you need that steering feel and feedback.

Quick Reply: Friends S2000 review