Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Friends S2000 review

Old 07-12-2007, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody beat me to this already, but the S2000 steering effort is really not that heavy. A lot of people find it too light! You need to compare apple to apple in the feel and subjective department, if only to give your reader a good reference point for what you're talking about.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're a journalist then you obviously understand the principle of context. Comparing an S2000 to a Camry and calling it harsh with heavy steering and limited storage capacity is asinine. Doing so makes you an incompetent journalist. Last time I checked there was no test of merit required to write an automotive review, just a keyboard and a drivers license, neither very difficult to get.

I suggest you do you readers a service and test similar cars (not SUVs and minivans) and revise your article with relevant facts and learned opinion.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cthree,Jul 12 2007, 12:09 PM
If you're a journalist then you obviously understand the principle of context. Comparing an S2000 to a Camry and calling it harsh with heavy steering and limited storage capacity is asinine. Doing so makes you an incompetent journalist. Last time I checked there was no test of merit required to write an automotive review, just a keyboard and a drivers license, neither very difficult to get.

I suggest you do you readers a service and test similar cars (not SUVs and minivans) and revise your article with relevant facts and learned opinion.
BAMN!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pritch,Jul 12 2007, 10:27 AM
Good day

I'd like to just reply to this quickly, as Nick is a friend of mine who linked me to this thread. I'm not at all surprised at some of the comments, as thats completely normal when a used car review is read by that particular car's fans on an owners forum such as this.

Wing- your an automotive journalist too, according to your comments. Who do you write for? You don't think the S2000 has a stiff ride? Concrete is an exaggeration perhaps, but it certainly isn't plush. Especially if you've never driven something like it before.

I have indeed driven several S2000's including a used one for the purpose of this review, and a 2006 model last fall. Neither one of them was soft. Maybe where you live has smoother roads than where I live?

The steering comment.. its a stiff and heavy steering as I recall. Electric assist or not, it's still heavy compared to the what the average driver is going to be used to. I don't have little Asian arms either as someone commented. I'm about 5"10 220 lbs, so i can steer just fine.

No glovebox in the traditional sense of a glovebox- as in on the dashboard, passenger side. There is a small slot there for your wallet, iirc. That's not a glovebox, thats a wallet slot.

Small trunk? I went on a road trip and couldn't fit with me everything I wanted to bring without stacking some on the front seat. Sorry if that makes it the worst researched article you've ever read, but the trunk in an S2000 isn't large. I wasn't out of line for saying that.

Your comments about me spewing junk... unwarranted. I'm a member of AJAC and write for publications across Canada, print and online as well as broadcast. Not to toot my own horn, but I don't spew junk- whether you pack more lightly for road trips than I do or not.

Maybe I was a little harsh Pritch about the junk comment but your were way out of context on the car and with some incorrect facts it really irked me from an AJAC member. I don't care if someone doesn't like the S2000, but saying inaccuracies is not a good way to promote your career.

Pritch I own cartalkcanada and write for CanadianDriver so I'm sure you have read my stuff.

I actually think the S2000 has a soft ride for a sports car, Porsche PASM is stiffer, the Element SC I drove was stiffer and many other cars like the Mini Cooper S. Heck the Cooper S steering was 100 times stiffer than the S2000's as well, the S2000 steering is a little too light, unless you put huge R's on the front.

Apparently the roads in Sudbury are really bad so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the harsh ride

There is a traditional glovebox, it's right beside the driver, you can fit a good amount of stuff in there, and I actually have gloves in mine Driving gloves of course.

The trunk... well I don't know what to say, I think the trunk in my S2000 is larger than that of the Miata ... which would be a good comparison. But you couldn't pack for a short trip? What were you packing?

Check out this picture.... all in the trunk of an S2000.

This is Andrew's picture he drove to California and back in the S2000.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Context... look at it this way.

THIS site is being read by folks like you who own S2000's and are a part of the S2000 community. The readers at various sites I write for, including the one where the review was posted, may not have ever driven one of these machines, or any of it's competition. This is not a review intended to spark interest with current owners of the car, but rather to spark interest of those people who are interested in buying a used one.

That requires a bit of a change in the presentation. Generalizing of certain attributes, like the heavy steering, the small trunk or the lack of glovebox space. It doesn't mean its the heaviest steering in the universe, or the smallest trunk, but it's how the point is made.

Yes, I've driven some BMW cars, including a new M car. I just got out of a 335 i yesterday in fact. Brutally heavy steering. Heavier than an S2000, absolutely. And far, far far heavier than what the average driver will be used to.

Thanks for the comments though.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by wing,Jul 12 2007, 11:51 AM
Check out this picture.... all in the trunk of an S2000.

This is Andrew's picture he drove to California and back in the S2000.
To be fair, it's clear he removed the spare tire which accounts for fair amount more room.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:40 AM

frig man, all this talk...lol....

automotive articles are usually opinions with the obvious facts slid in, some better than others...and usually those with more experience will have better insight (i said usually), hopefully not be bias, and should test cars on an even playing field, sticking to those in similar classes vs. one another.

the s2k does what it was built to do and intended for, and does it all well. don't likelike? get a second car for your needs or don't buy one at all.

/thread
Old 07-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by toosteeley,Jul 12 2007, 01:05 PM
To be fair, it's clear he removed the spare tire which accounts for fair amount more room.
and i bet the tool kit is gone too.

all that stuff WILL NOT fit in an unaltered trunk.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by wing,Jul 12 2007, 12:51 PM
Maybe I was a little harsh Pritch about the junk comment but your were way out of context on the car and with some incorrect facts it really irked me from an AJAC member.
some of your articles are less than glowing as well.

pots, kettles, and all that....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by wing,Jul 12 2007, 10:51 AM
the Element SC I drove was stiffer...
Speaking of that article, I enjoyed the opening line "Are boxes sexy?"

Yeah, they are if she's not too old

Quick Reply: Friends S2000 review