Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Are Front License Plates Going Away ?

Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 3,371 Likes on 2,450 Posts
Default Are Front License Plates Going Away ?

I heard that front license plates may be eliminated by Ford. They redesigned the plates in today's announcement , but I am not sure about the front plate deletion. That could be one of the most productive pieces of legislation of the last 20 years if it was to happen. I do not want a front plate on my Integra or WRX.

Ontario Chiefs of Police are against the idea though. I doubt there is a police officer in Ontario that can read a license plate on an approaching vehicle, Ontario has been such a backwards Province forever.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:26 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I read this article as well. Then I started reading that the police were- or rather, who ever was interviewed representing the police- said they are against it. The reasons are varied but mostly come down to being able to better find criminals and so members of the public could identify a plate in various situations- hit and run for example.

So, they want to keep the front plate so that, oh, .0005% of the time, the car/plate can be better and more quickly identified in a criminal situation.

On the other side of the argument, it costs less to produce that second plate so saving money- but the cost of the second plate is passed on to us anyway.

However, the best argument to get rid of the front plate has everything to do with ruining the front end appearance of the car to us enthusiasts.

Like any of these debates, they rarely look at facts. We'll never see the speed limits raised on the 400 series highways either, despite the mountain of facts that support a higher speed limit. The police feel that raising speed limits will be a bad idea because "speed kills". Well, facts don't have feelings (thank you to Ben Shapiro). I hate those signs warning that speed kills- no, speed does not kill- speed differentials might. Now I'm off on a tangent.

Get rid of the front plate...or at least let us fold them up without getting a ticket.

darcy
Old 04-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Front plates make excellent reflectors of lasers and radar.

-- Chuck
Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
I read this article as well. Then I started reading that the police were- or rather, who ever was interviewed representing the police- said they are against it. The reasons are varied but mostly come down to being able to better find criminals and so members of the public could identify a plate in various situations- hit and run for example.

So, they want to keep the front plate so that, oh, .0005% of the time, the car/plate can be better and more quickly identified in a criminal situation.

On the other side of the argument, it costs less to produce that second plate so saving money- but the cost of the second plate is passed on to us anyway.

However, the best argument to get rid of the front plate has everything to do with ruining the front end appearance of the car to us enthusiasts.

Like any of these debates, they rarely look at facts. We'll never see the speed limits raised on the 400 series highways either, despite the mountain of facts that support a higher speed limit. The police feel that raising speed limits will be a bad idea because "speed kills". Well, facts don't have feelings (thank you to Ben Shapiro). I hate those signs warning that speed kills- no, speed does not kill- speed differentials might. Now I'm off on a tangent.

Get rid of the front plate...or at least let us fold them up without getting a ticket.

darcy
Excellent points as always Darcy. My wife often asks why I exceed the speed limit in heavier traffic and I tell her that I'm safer getting away from people than driving in a cluster group all at the same speed. Speed may kill, but so does driving in the blind spot of idiot drivers .

The NDP are already criticizing the idea because they want to support law enforcement, give me a break.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Front plates make excellent reflectors of lasers and radar.

-- Chuck
yeah without them the cops won't know where to aim their radar, lol.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ange-1.5098518

Yurek says the plates will remain on both the front and back of vehicles across the province.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the update, that sucks, I thought Ontario was actually getting progressive by implementing the change, I guess not.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dammit. I thought there was a little positivity. this sucks
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 06:32 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

ok, how about as a compromise they let us run radar detectors?

darcy
Old 04-16-2019, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there no one here that drives their s2k without the front plate?

Quick Reply: Are Front License Plates Going Away ?