Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Getting a US temperary permit

Old 12-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Temp permits are to allow you to drive the car, between obtaining the sellers title, and obtaining your own title. You normally pay taxes when you title the car. So, paying taxes should have nothing to do with obtaining a temporary permit. Sounds like your salesman is full of it. When you say they want all the money upfront, I hope that means bringing it with you when you pick-up the car, not sending it to them before you see the car.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Each state has a different policy with regards to issuing temporary permits. I bought a car from New Jersey and the DMV gave me a temporary permit but they wanted to see a pink insurance slip with the new car's VIN number on it. I had to call my insurance and have them fax an insurance card to the DMV while I was there.

I would recommend asking the dealer to fax you a copy of the title so that you can fax it to the border before 72 hours. If you can't get them to fax it to you, you can cross the border and give the US Customs a copy of the title right then and there. Then, instead of leaving the car there for 72 hours, you can get the Canadian paperwork started and continue to drive the car home. After 72 hours, drive the car back to the same US border and complete the paperwork. You do not have to leave the car at the border for the 72 hours.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TTMartin,Dec 6 2010, 03:20 PM
When you say they want all the money upfront, I hope that means bringing it with you when you pick-up the car, not sending it to them before you see the car.
Nope, they want it all wired to them up front in full. He said they cannot transfer the title to me unless it is fully payed off since it is a cash deal.

It made sense to me because I figured that they would not accept it at the border if the title was not in my name, so I didn't think a copy of the title would work.

I still have a hard time buying a car I have never seen. It just bothers me because people save said their cars were mint before and 9/10 they are stretching the truth.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Himura357,Dec 6 2010, 06:53 PM
Nope, they want it all wired to them up front in full. He said they cannot transfer the title to me unless it is fully payed off since it is a cash deal.

It made sense to me because I figured that they would not accept it at the border if the title was not in my name, so I didn't think a copy of the title would work.

I still have a hard time buying a car I have never seen. It just bothers me because people save said their cars were mint before and 9/10 they are stretching the truth.
When I brought my car over from PA, I had the title changed to my name at the local DMV. It was all done in 10 minutes and they basically wrote my name on the back with an attached form.
I'm not sure about the NYDMV, but I'd assume you can transfer funds the day of and avoid wiring money before seeing the car.

The CBP only checked to see if I had the original title and that the car matched the VIN. Like others have mentioned, I'd suggest the dealer scan a copy of the title to you so you can make sure that the CBP received the fax 72 hours in advance. I hear that they're pretty stringent on that.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM

I guess I'm confused. Since I have been trying to find out about buying from the States, I have alway been told that the title take like 10 days to transfer and most of the time, they say they will mail it to you.

Now obviously they must give you some sort of doccument right away that says that you are the new owner of this car or that the title is now going to be in your name, but is that good enough for the border people?

Usually I hear you have to have the "title in hand" and I always took that as the full original title.

Either way, both times I tried to buy from the states Honda said they need 10 days to release the title to me.

So I guess the question I have is, are the instant doccuments I get after paying for the car enough to bring the car across the border?
Old 12-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

^afaik, you don't need to have the title changed over to you in the states. The dealership in Minnesota that I bought my car from just filled out the back of the original title certificate with my information and I brought this piece back to BC with me; after all the inspections I was able to register the vehicle in BC (basically same as changing title) & the Insurance Corp of BC took the original title cert that I received from the buyer (they supposedly will send it back to Minny).

If you want to see the car first just spend a few extra days in NJ. Wire transfers basically clears overnight. I flew into Minny on a Sunday and saw the car Monday morning, called my bank to wire the funds (told them of my intentions and gave info before hand) and the dealer received the funds Tuesday morning! My dealer was willing to work with me (I did pay a deposit though); he faxed the required dox to the US border a week before I arrived.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Yup. All you need to cross the US border is the title (original) and a fax 72 hours beforehand. To cross the Canadian border you need the stamped title, bill of sale, insurance and pay taxes/duties. Once you're back, go to Canadian Tire and complete the RIV inspection (recall letter). Then go to the MTO. They will take the US title, inspection documentation, charge you more taxes and give you the Ontario ownership papers.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Another one bites the dust for me...

I told him since Honda takes so long with the title, and I don't feel like driving back in the snow AND the fact that I won't be able to see the car before buying, I offered him $22,000.

They said no thanks. Its just as well, I'm sure it will be pouring down snow soon anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

FWIW, when I bought my car I had snow tires shipped from the Tirerack to the dealership. I shipped my summers back home.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM

Cool idea.

I just found a decent shipping company for the car. Hansen Forwarding. NJ to Mississauga $1200.

I still dont think the deal will go ahead though. They don't seem to be entertaining my offers.