Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

GPS units

Old 07-23-2004, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS units

Hey Folks

I've had 6 pm's regarding gps units, why all of a sudden I don't know but hey lets cover it as a topic.

For me, I like the garmin units.

Garmin always has excellent antennas, either built in or external. They tend to be dominant in features and upgrades. All the new units have flash upgradeable firmware, and everytime I've done and upgrade it simply gets better. Most of the new units come with remotes as well.

The maps for the US have been updated this past year, so they are about as complete a set as you'll get. Maps also have waypoints, attractions, shopping, restaurants, lodging etc etc...thousands and thousands.

My unit is the Garmin 2610 (I have a 12xl in a box somewhere too), I love this thing, we use it all the time. Doug said he could easily become addicted and drive into a tree. Its just that good heh.

That said, there is one issue, if you have a significant other who is not naturally technical, hand hold them as you train them how to use it..start off with making computer based routes and waypoints they use frequently just to get them used to. I've had a couple of long cell calls with threats of tossing it out the window.

Now she's a pro at it.

Freaking strange...I just got an email from Garmin 10 seconds ago saying a firmware upgrade is available.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:39 AM

Bitch, did you get my PM about lunch?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:49 AM

Vinces unit is the newer version of my StreetPilot - like most good things in life, I get there before Vince . From what he says, the unit meaningfully faster than what Ive got.

I think they both have the same functionality - which is excellent - but his being faster would avoid a world of hurt in some situations. When youre in a complex area (downtown, or even a surburban area, the minute that my unit takes to calculate the best route sometimes ends up with me passing the turnoff that it selected, which sends the POS into a recalculation again, which has resulted in the same stupid thing happening again, and again, and again.

Having it take 1/10th the time would remove the biggest PITA with my unit.

Other than that, Vince has a touch screen - I dont, but Ive heard that the finger prints become painfully obscuring, especially in sunlight. Maybe that is what his remote is for - I dont have one of those either.

But the rest is probably the same.

I love it - highly recomend it to anyone. Not ALWAYS the absolute best route, but itll never mess you up horribly and youll never get lost. Its kinda fun too knowing whats around you that you cant see.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:50 AM

Heh no I didn't! Lemme go look..I hate this new PM system.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:58 AM

vince... could you tell us where to get one for the best price?? I think i really need a GPS.... just to track where i went
Old 07-23-2004, 05:58 AM

Mooresman is right, mine is a lot faster, touch screen, colour too.

Its very easy to see even in harsh daylight, switches to Night-Mode when it darkens (first time it ever told me it was going to this weekend). I don't have any fingerprint mess?

I think mine has better find features too.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:02 AM

Try www.gpscity.ca

Nice guys, plus its in Calgary so you don't pay PST.

Nice, came down in price!

I have both the US and Canadian map set, and I've used them both.

Garmin 2610
Old 07-23-2004, 06:06 AM

Vinces is probably quicker with search as I have to scroll letter by letter to enter something - he probably can just punch a letter in immediately.

Mine is also color.

When the new model comes out, Ill probably upgrade if I dont have one in the car (I would not ever select this option unless the car had it already). Till then Ill stick with what Ive got.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DoGMaN,Jul 23 2004, 08:38 AM
That said, there is one issue, if you have a significant other
well that Excludes me and Mike then.. oh well..we've turned into shemales.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:32 AM

Yeah you two singles can manage these on your own heh.

I said IF..

Also if someone else bitchs at me about something I said this week in jest I will personally come to your house and shit upon your properties.

BTW Simon look at your post above...you can do it now too heh

Quick Reply: GPS units