S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   hard shifting at high rpm (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/hard-shifting-high-rpm-1163756/)

unowned 10-10-2016 10:41 PM

hard shifting at high rpm

Hi,

very difficult to get into 3rd, 4th, or 5th gear when driving hard (6K+ rpm) - whether upshifting or downshifting...i need to apply a lot of pressure on the gearbox and it feels quite notchy. I've already had the clutch and transmission fluid replaced. Clutch does not seem to slip nor leak, shifting feels okay under normal city driving.

FWIW, I'm running oem clutch and pressure plate on a 6 psi (stock boost) SC. 102K km 2004.

Any ideas? So far, the possible culprits are:
- throwing bearing
- pressure plate
- master/slave cylinder
- transmission

unowned 10-10-2016 10:47 PM

Also, I should add that I did a bunch of trackdays this year and the gearbox had felt fine until my last trackday where it became so difficult to shift that I ended up spending the remainder of my day in 3rd gear. As if the shifting characteristic changed overnight.

starchland 10-11-2016 03:42 AM

how does it shift at idle?
Any leaks from the master?

unowned 10-15-2016 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by starchland (Post 24081300)

shifts fine at idle and at 'normal' city driving, no leaking from the master and fluid was just changed.

I've noticed that if i deliberately slow down my shifting, the 'locking out' is less pronounced. Are my synchros possibly failing? What are the symptoms of failing synchros? failing throwout bearing?

zeroptzero 10-16-2016 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by unowned (Post 24084988)

Originally Posted by starchland' timestamp='1476186163' post='24081300

shifts fine at idle and at 'normal' city driving, no leaking from the master and fluid was just changed.

I've noticed that if i deliberately slow down my shifting, the 'locking out' is less pronounced. Are my synchros possibly failing? What are the symptoms of failing synchros? failing throwout bearing?

I don't think synchros go bad in such dramatic/quick fashion it would have been a more gradual process, and it would be bad in all driving conditions IMO. I think it is mechanical in nature where one part is faulty. How is the clearance on your clutch rod under dash ? Maybe bleed the clutch line as a precaution.

unowned 10-08-2018 08:47 PM

bumping for ideas on cause. I was about to drop a load of money on a new clutch, but there's little indication of slip so im not sure if that is the culprit. If Im driving at a tepid pace, car shifts fine in all gears, but once i start flooring, there's a very noticeable shifting delay, or at least i need to let off the throttle a bit upshift. Ive had fluids changed several times. The symptoms started becoming more pronounced after my series of trackdays last summer

clubhopper 10-08-2018 11:29 PM

Woah...no solution after 2 years?!?!

i’d seriously look at changing your slave cylinder

starchland 10-09-2018 05:13 AM

I had a similar problem with a countersunk knob. Seemed I was shifting too fast or maybe the synchros weren't ready. The other time I had shifting issues, I got pissed and jammed it into gear. Broken spring holder in the clutch. You should be rev matching the best you can, sounds like you are powershifting by your post. Have you removed your CDV?

unowned 05-07-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by clubhopper (Post 24520020)

Woah...no solution after 2 years?!?!

i’d seriously look at changing your slave cylinder

i had left the country for a year and a half for career, turned out the master was leaking, i had both the master and slave replaced (and modded the slave by deleting the cdv)...it shifts better now in all gears, but still slow into 4th gear at high revs. Downshifting is much better now too

unowned 05-22-2019 04:54 PM

issue turned out to be a broken clutch plate, got the act hd pp kit from moddiction, shifts like a dream now :)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...543f0a41e6.jpg