S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed.. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/high-revving-honda-motors-will-missed-1191879/)

zeroptzero 02-16-2019 04:28 PM

High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed..

My local Honda dealer has a Honda Beat in their showroom with a cool Mugen exhaust, this is the tiny Kei car with three throttle bodies (one per cylinder ) and with rev cut at 9000+ , only making 63 hp but they sound so nice and look cool inside and out. The dealer also had an older Civic Type R from Japan in the showroom a few weeks back which was sweet, in championship white. This dealer has a large collection of JDM Hondas. Examples of Honda's best work that are all behind us.

People talk about the next S2000 being a possibility, but the high revving models are gone forever at Honda. If they build an S2000 it will likely be a low rev turbo motor vehicle. My 1.5l turbo Civic won't hit 6500, and the CTR wont rev beyond 7k, Honda's highest revving motor is the NSX at 7400 or so.

Emissions and fuel economy standards will result in everything being direct injection turbos it seems. It makes me want to keep my Acura Integra GS-R more and more each day, and one of the reasons I got it was for the 8k rpm motor. You really appreciate the S2000 with it's gem of an engine. I thought the RSX K motors were great as well. I think the best days in Honda motors are really behind us if they no longer will make high revving motors. I understand that turbo motors and overlap don't work well, so we will never see a factory high revving turbo motor from Honda any time soon. I appreciate the power of the new DIT engines but I do miss those revs and the sound you can only get from them.

ndushenko 02-17-2019 04:45 PM

I think the exact same thing all the time. I want to keep my GSR until the wheels fall off of it and I won't give up on working to find another S2000 to pair it with. I'll try my best to stick with my high-revving NA motors with the manual transmission as long as I can. It's a characteristic that the car I'd like to own most before I die has, unless the prices get to an astronomical level (manual Ferrari F430). The idea of a new Honda that revs high seems like a thing of the past. Sometimes people ask me if I "really like Hondas". If it's somebody who has a slight idea about the car world and might be interested in talking more about it, I usually say I like vintage Hondas from 20-30 years ago.

I actually toyed with the idea of getting the Beat as a daily before the GSR, but the simple fact about difficulty finding parts for that along with insurance hassles turned me away from it.

zeroptzero 02-17-2019 05:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. The Honda Beat would have to be a garage queen , the soft top is very flimsy for a daily driver, some idiot would damage it in this country as it would be easy to break into. Not sure how safe it would be in an accident if it flipped over, but it is a very cool car.

myflys2k 02-18-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24567625)
My thoughts exactly. The Honda Beat would have to be a garage queen , the soft top is very flimsy for a daily driver, some idiot would damage it in this country as it would be easy to break into. Not sure how safe it would be in an accident if it flipped over, but it is a very cool car.

you can get them with hardtop. My buddy has one. It’s an absolute blast to drive. Don’t have to worry about tickets in that thing. 100kph is like 5000rpm and I think 120 is the top speed

zeroptzero 02-18-2019 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k (Post 24567784)

you can get them with hardtop. My buddy has one. It’s an absolute blast to drive. Don’t have to worry about tickets in that thing. 100kph is like 5000rpm and I think 120 is the top speed

Damn, you just had to mention that. How does one go about buying one, they would be a cool track car.

myflys2k 02-18-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24567824)
Damn, you just had to mention that. How does one go about buying one, they would be a cool track car.

my buddy got his with the car. It also has the Mugen exhaust. i can get you some information if you’d like. He had a guy import it for him.

zeroptzero 02-18-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by myflys2k (Post 24567825)

my buddy got his with the car. It also has the Mugen exhaust. i can get you some information if you’d like. He had a guy import it for him.

Thanks Nick, if your buddy ever wants to sell the car let me know

zenairdave 02-18-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero (Post 24567843)
Thanks Nick, if your buddy ever wants to sell the car let me know

lol. BRAD DOESNT sell cars, he just keeps acquiring them. :drive:

myflys2k 02-19-2019 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by zenairdave (Post 24567927)
lol. BRAD DOESNT sell cars, he just keeps acquiring them. :drive:

^ this

Himura357 02-19-2019 06:22 AM

Honda has always cared about emissions and efficiency, but now it is more important to them than ever because they now compete with many hybrids and electric. V6 accord is gone and small displacement turbos are the new normal.

As Joey said, high revving will be fazed out too in place of turbos mid range power.

I think the S2000 will become even more collectable soon. The Integra Type R took off in the last year leaving the S2000 far behind in value, but the S2000 will be there soon.