Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed..

Old 03-19-2019, 07:05 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

turbo engines need to be straight piped. My buddy did it to his golf and it hardly changed the sound- in fact, sounds better.

When a typeR finds its way to my driveway, I'll likely have the local shop put on straight pipes.

darcy
Old 03-20-2019, 02:51 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Longevity? Who keeps their cars for more than 5 years? Turbo motor? More finicky moving parts, of course things will go wrong. Fuel economy? People seem to love the new gen civic, and for its mpg. The problem with a turbo is it gives you the best of both worlds, exercise restraint. Bring the 1L motor here
Old 03-20-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland
Longevity? Who keeps their cars for more than 5 years? Turbo motor? More finicky moving parts, of course things will go wrong. Fuel economy? People seem to love the new gen civic, and for its mpg. The problem with a turbo is it gives you the best of both worlds, exercise restraint. Bring the 1L motor here
good points as always Jeff. My 2016 civic had outstanding fuel economy, no complaints there. The only issue was that the oil level continually grew as you drove it, thanks to fuel dilution and condensation. Mid way into the oil change intervals I had to seriously consider draining the oil pan to keep oil levels below the H mark.

I've got a 19 year old Integra in my garage now and the motor drives as good as new, somehow I don't see these new Honda turbo motors being the same 19 years down the road if anyone decides to keep them. Most people wont keep them that long but some might ?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
turbo engines need to be straight piped. My buddy did it to his golf and it hardly changed the sound- in fact, sounds better.

When a typeR finds its way to my driveway, I'll likely have the local shop put on straight pipes.

darcy
I had a couple SRT-4's that were straight piped from the factory, no mufflers. They sounded very muscle car like, with a very deep sound and lots of burble on deceleration. Dodge was very gutsy releasing a factory exhaust like that, I really liked it . You could also buy Mopar exhausts from the dealer that made them even louder which was cool.

I love the sound of my WRX exhaust at idle, and upon first startup, it has a very deep sound, also muscle car like. Driving down the street it probably has very little sound but I've never heard it from outside of the vehicle, it is a bit deep sounding on deceleration. Very quiet on the highway and upper rpms, not too bad overall.

I came across a CTR driving down the street today which had downshifted and was accelerating at a decent clip, it was pretty quiet, not what one would expect from a car of that design. I think it needs more sound.

Even if you were to straight pipe any of these new cars you will never match the high rpm "cammy" growl you get from the high revving NA Honda engines of the past like the S2000/ ITR/ GSR/ SIR. The VTEC system on the CTR is only on the exhaust side, and is non-existent on the 1.5L turbos, so the old VTEC systems are gone for good, and with them went that cool sound I always liked.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I had a couple SRT-4's that were straight piped from the factory, no mufflers. They sounded very muscle car like, very deep sound with lots of burble on deceleration. Dodge was very gutsy releasing a factory exhaust like that, I liked it . You could also buy Mopar exhausts from the dealer that made them even louder.

I love the sound of my WRX exhaust at idle, it has a very deep sound, again muscle car like, which is surprising for a factory car. Driving down the street it probably has little sound but I've never heard it from outside of the vehicle, a bit deep on deceleration, not bad overall.

I came across a CTR driving down the street today which had downshifted and was accelerating at a decent clip, it had very little sound coming from it, not what one would expect from a car of that design. It needs more sound.

Even if you were to straight pipe any of these cars you will never match the high rpm "cammy" growl you get from the high revving NA Honda engines of the past like the S2000/ ITR/ GSR/ SIR. The VTEC system on the CTR is only on the exhaust side, and non-existent on the 1.5L turbos, so the old VTEC systems are gone for good, along with that cool sound that I always liked.
As my daily driver for the past 2 months i can appreciate what Honda has done, i can cruise on the highway for hours and not get bother or tired of the exhaust. It's still very comfortable for what it can do and i like it so i can cruise back home after a day of work.
But i wish they have a mode to open up the exhaust a little more when i wanna drive the car a little harder. Now when i drive it hard all i can hear is the "whosh" and "pst" sound from the waste-gate and blowoff valve, i just hope the engine sound is more pronounce, right now the turbo sound is dominating .
Old 03-23-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Niuniu32
As my daily driver for the past 2 months i can appreciate what Honda has done, i can cruise on the highway for hours and not get bother or tired of the exhaust. It's still very comfortable for what it can do and i like it so i can cruise back home after a day of work.
But i wish they have a mode to open up the exhaust a little more when i wanna drive the car a little harder. Now when i drive it hard all i can hear is the "whosh" and "pst" sound from the waste-gate and blowoff valve, i just hope the engine sound is more pronounce, right now the turbo sound is dominating .
I can appreciate that. It is very hard to get a perfect exhaust sound, the Mugen on my Ap1 S2000 was pretty close to perfect for me.

I like a nice rumble on idle. On highway cruising I like it quiet and no drone at any speed. At full throttle high rpms I like to hear the exhaust with a higher pitch and some engine induction/ cam noise. That's a pretty tall order these days though.

On my WRX I pretty much only get the whooshing sound when driving hard and perhaps some turbo whistle as the main noise. Not much exhaust sound at higher rpms.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FK8 is a total nod to the Honda’s of Yesteryear. It might not rev to 9000 but the DNA bleeds old school Honda. Reminds me of the NA1 so much
Old 03-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hate to bring up semantics but in common speak, motors are electric and typically high revving in electric cars compared to IC engines so in reality, Honda will be increasing revs as they move towards electrification
Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by S2K Type R
hate to bring up semantics but in common speak, motors are electric and typically high revving in electric cars compared to IC engines so in reality, Honda will be increasing revs as they move towards electrification
And they can induce narcolepsy at an insomniacs' convention. My Dremel can spin to 35k rpms but I don't find it to be an appealing motor lol.
Old 04-10-2020, 10:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Damn, you just had to mention that. How does one go about buying one, they would be a cool track car.
Joey, the dealer ur talking about, the owner's son Chase is a Beat fan and has a few Beats, (and many other collectable Honda's) one built by Cozy Lights in Japan. His Instagram is "mugenbeat" and posts nearly every day about his cars and travelling.

For importing, Craig owns Bonsai Rides and he is here in London. He imports JDM cars and "bonsairides" is his Instagram. Craig is a good guy, I highly recommend him!
The following users liked this post:
zeroptzero (04-10-2020)

Quick Reply: High Revving Honda Motors Will Be Missed..