Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Honda Oil Change - 800 km later oil pan plug falls out

Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Oil Change - 800 km later oil pan plug falls out

I had an oil change at Honda a couple weeks ago. Today I heard a clunk under the car, thought nothing of it...until I saw smoke coming from my hood and into the cabin 30 seconds later. I immediately pulled off to inspect and shut the car down. I saw oil pouring from the oil pan drain hole.

Thankfully I was within a couple hundred meters of a service station. They pushed me in, installed a plug and some oil, rinsed all the oil from the undercarriage and $195 later had me on my way. (=gouging)

Anyhow, its only been 800 km since my oil change. I can see 4 small oil patches in my garage, so i'll assume 2 days loose and dripping. No oil pressure light at anytume, even before I shut it down. I saw maybe two litres on the road when I parked.

I intend to call the dealership tomorrow. I will be asking for reimbursement and compression/leak down. Anything else I should be looking for or aware of?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW! This happened to my dad in his dodge ram a few days after getting an oil change from Wal Mart.

Wal Mart ended up buying him a new engine and paying for the labour...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Acura forgot to put the rad cap back on after flushing the coolant in the ITR my wife took it in for service as I was out of town and called me because it "smelled funny" the whole engine bay was covered. I towed it back to the dealership and they paid for the tow, detailed the engine, and gave me free oil changes for the life of the car. Although I never went back.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Received 3,358 Likes on 2,441 Posts

there is a good chance of engine damage when there is that much oil loss, usually the low oil pressure warning light means the engine is toast on these cars. But you said that you didn't see the light come on, so maybe you were spared. A leakdown test is a good start, try to get them to commit to some type of warranty in case the engine dies a month down the road as there isn't much of a test for rod bearings other than taking the bottom end apart. This really sucks.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Had that on my S a few years ago (a buddy who's a mechanic did the change a few weeks beforehand) -- never really paid attention for any puddles in my parking spot (living in a condo at the time).

Exact same thing happened (heard something shot out like a champagne cork then smoke everywhere -- good thing I was driving top down at the time lol) Had it towed to his house, got me a new plug, got new oil - no big deal.

Car is now 9 years old (mind you it's only got 67k km lol) -- and still running fine.

Now I put a piece of cardboard under my part of the garage (moved to a house now) just to keep an eye on things.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 PM

its so incredibly easy to do an oil change on the S ... if your car is stock ride height you dont even need to jack it up. Slip an oil pan right underneath and your done. I would never let anyone but myself do an oil change on the S.

all that aside i would freak out if i were you and demand some kind of reimbursement and like said above a warranty for at least a year that involves any kind of serious engine damage.... being in a customer service related position and having to deal with problems with the same severity, i would say its fairly simple... THE MORE YOU COMPLAIN THE MORE YOU WILL GET... especially considering you are completely in the right!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 AM

same thing happened to my typeR... The drain bolt was finger tight. I noticed a small patch of fluid two times or so, then jacked up the car and checked it out. I was in awe when I could turn the drain bolt with my hand. Then I put the car flat and checked the oil level... it was nearly 1L OVER. omfg... this was about 1k km's of driving with about 1L of oil above the top fill line.

I can't believe people are that stupid. Could they be secretly jealous? This was a good 500KM's ago and no ill effects so far.

Rule of thumb, if you get someone else to give you an oil change, you should always inspect afterwards.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which dealer was this? PM me if you don't want to go public with it.

Call the dealer, explain to them what happened. They should cover all the costs and compensate in some way or another. Stuff like this happens every where, whether it's a dealer, or a private shop. Unfortunately it happened to you, but like I said, they should compensate you in some way.

As for the car, Honda oil lights only come on when there is less than 1L of oil. It's retarded and makes no sense. It's almost as if when the light is on, you're doomed. So it's a great thing the light never came on. Have them do a compression test, but I'm almost positive your car is fine from the sounds of it. Good luck man.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Had that happen to me when I had a prelude. I was on the highway when it dropped out for me. Ceased the engine and Honda dealership (Sisley) denied everything. I had to replace the engine on my own. Definitely avoid that dealership.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CLEANs2000
... THE MORE YOU COMPLAIN THE MORE YOU WILL GET... especially considering you are completely in the right!
As a Honda dealer employee, I disagree. It all depends on the person you are dealing with.

Quick Reply: Honda Oil Change - 800 km later oil pan plug falls out