Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

How could I minimise losing money when changing a car in Canada?

Old 09-23-2003, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How could I minimise losing money when changing a car in Canada?

I have had my brand new MY04 WRX for 2 months and it is a fantastic car ... but I miss my S. At home (UK) I would go out in the S and drive anywhere for no good reason, but here I don`t with the WRX.

The WRX is more practical, has better grip, is just as quick, is cheaper to buy and is going to be more practical in the winter ... but I miss my S. Xviper has given me greater confidence in the abilities of the S in winter for which I am grateful (although I am reticent of your winters having not experienced driving them yet).

IF I decide to go for the S again, how can I minimise the amount of money that I lose on selling the WRX and get a good deal on a used S?
Old 09-23-2003, 06:36 AM

Was your S2000 broken? No way a WRX on the crappy RE92's even comes close to having equal grip as an S2000.

As for your predicament, a private sale is your best bet.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:17 AM

i think his S is in the UK... no?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by Mannn
i think his S is in the UK... no?
Spot on.

We don`t pay taxes on used cars in the UK and I think that you do. How do I organise all of this?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Any way you look at it, you will take a big "hit" on the WRX. That first year of depreciation on almost all cars is a killer. As already stated, you can sell privately and buy privately to try to make the hit a little less painful but be reminded that selling privately can be a real nuisance as well.
Winter is just around the corner, so why not go through the first winter with the WRX. You may also find that when the snow is on the roads that the stock WRX tires, even with AWD may not be very useful either but certainly "manageable". With an S2000, snow tires are a MUST (added expense).
Whether you sell now or in the spring, you shouldn't see much difference in the value except that driving in through the winter, you risk rock damage. On the other hand, an S2000 may be obtainable now for a bit less than in spring (convertible season).
Find a banker or a friend who can give you "black book" prices so you can go into the deal with a firm knowledge base. For an "eye opener" go see your selling dealer and ask what they would buy the WRX back for (just say you are interested in the STI). This will give you the "worst case scenario" for your car's value.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:36 AM

You will lose money here. It's not a good idea to sell your car after 6 months. You will probably lose $6-7k on the new deal...

If the WRX is your daily driver you better keep it for the winter.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:39 AM

Is your WRX a wagon?
Old 09-23-2003, 08:02 AM

We don't pay taxes on a used car when we sell it, but we do pay tax when we buy a used car, as we do on a new car.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by S2kRob
We don't pay taxes on a used car when we sell it, but we do pay tax when we buy a used car, as we do on a new car.

In Europe they dont pay additional tax on used cars.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by comets
Is your WRX a wagon?
It`s the sedan and I don`t use it that often. I suppose I need to ask myself, "how much am I prepared to lose so that I am motivated to enjoy my driving here?"

Quick Reply: How could I minimise losing money when changing a car in Canada?