Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

how safe is it...

Old 06-20-2007, 03:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by comets,Jun 19 2007, 04:54 PM
There is one guy selling on vwvortex a mk2 for $3G's looks very solid - but way out of my budget for a starter car.
too steep for me, there are some with 140k for 2,000

Thanks for looking! if he/she drops the price I might take a closer look at it
Old 06-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok after getting the car

Gutted the rear / carpets and all audio crap off

what's next

engine expenses won't be in the near future, i will want to beat up the used D or whatever crap engine was inside first

where can i find control arms, sway bars, suspensions / rims tires?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:11 PM

I have a H23A1 (non vtec) in my garage. Engine spun bearings. Crank looks fine just needs a valve cover ( i mighe be able to get one).. pretty much ready for a bottom end build. If your interested let me know. take if for $150
Old 06-21-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by comets,Jun 20 2007, 07:26 PM
Ok after getting the car

Gutted the rear / carpets and all audio crap off

what's next

engine expenses won't be in the near future, i will want to beat up the used D or whatever crap engine was inside first

where can i find control arms, sway bars, suspensions / rims tires?
engine expenses may come up faster than you think. the D motor is durable, but it too has its limits. i'd put aside some $ for it regardless.

up next i'd say pads, fluids (brake, tranny, oil) and tires -- if you're doing this just for fun (and not trying to reduce ever ounce of weight possible), just use the steelies for now -- wheels if you got any $ left over.

if this is a dedicated track car, would you invest in a cage + harness? safety first.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM

Hmmm I used to get parts from places all over. Sadly, I think you'll have to start cavorting with the 17 year old Civic-modders on clubcivic and superhonda.

I'm sure you'll be able to quickly source a few shops in Toronto for parts and labor if you just jump on Civic forums for a couple days, that's what I did. If there is something specific you need not just a one-stop shop for everything I'll try to put you in touch with some of the guys still in that scene.

Try gtcars.ca as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:46 PM

mikey, what did you drive previously?

how was the civic @ the track?

recommanded tire size for the car?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 AM

a d series 1.5L non v-tec turbo is still really fast. my buddy had one running 7psi and it ran 13.2 at the track.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:24 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Civic...130252020QQrdZ1
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 AM

^ good deal!

the hidden costs to bring that up here probably costs more than the car though.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by comets,Jun 21 2007, 10:46 PM
mikey, what did you drive previously?

how was the civic @ the track?

recommanded tire size for the car?
Oh I'll lose my credibility now, I had a 4 door Ex 5-speed. I bought it because it was plain and simple and cheap, and seemed to have been well-treated. I got tired of dumping money into cars and figured I'd bite the bullet and become one of the Civic nation. Then I put H&R springs on the car, and every upper & lower tie bar and sway bar I could find to make the thing handle tight without turning the car into a dumped down ricey car. Tinted windows and 16" rims that weren't too heavy, with 225 width all around with JUST enough room in the rear for no rubbing, though I did shave the right rear fender down very slightly with a file and painted to avoid rust. Ran with Pirelli P-Zero Neros which were a great gripping tire in all seasons, but wore WAY too quickly.

Unfortunately I never tracked that car, though I suspect it wouldn't have done too badly. Swapped out the motor and put a JDM B16A in it, along with a full custom Magnaflow exhaust with high flow cat and a resonator. Cold air intake and a B18C ECU which I suspect created a little richness in the running that could've been leaned out for a little more power while still staying reliable. I drove the hell out of that car on long trips, short trips, daily and through the winter for about 3 years.

DC Sports short-shifter, pulled the power steering but left the power rack and never had any problems with it, in a car that light it's not hard at all to drive without it and I can tell you there was a definite difference in acceleration when I got rid of it.

I purposely stayed away from the hatches because I was avoiding joining a certain typical class of driver in those, but for the purpose you're looking at I'd be in a hatch in a heartbeat. They're just great little blobs for running around the track.

Don't have any pictures here at the office, but I'll post a few when I get home to show what I made with about $15,000 "invested." Sold it at the end for like $4200 to buy the S, though general value actually was more than $6K or so. Posted on the Buyandsell and had 10 calls within the first 3 hours and the first guy who came to see it bought it.

Quick Reply: how safe is it...