Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

How should I go about replacing clutch?

Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ I did my clutch on a drive on lift last season... it was my first time ever doing a clutch job but I did it with a buddy who's a mechanic and it took us about 3 - 3 1/2 hours.

800km's later, my release bearing failed during break in and i had to redo it on jackstands in my garage... took me over 10hours with a buddy... was a nightmare lol
Old 05-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by d1000rr
^^^ I did my clutch on a drive on lift last season... it was my first time ever doing a clutch job but I did it with a buddy who's a mechanic and it took us about 3 - 3 1/2 hours.

800km's later, my release bearing failed during break in and i had to redo it on jackstands in my garage... took me over 10hours with a buddy... was a nightmare lol

​​​​​​10 hours? Nightmare? Even with a buddy? That just convinced me. If I ever need my clutch replaced, I'll ask you who to go to in London!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my clutch by myself just before the winter. One man job and did a lot of research. Before this project I knew nothing about clutch.

Some of the notes below
1. To remove the flywheel it's better to use a good compressor and air impact gun.
2. I recommend the dual lock 3.5t jack stands which are high enough to work underneath
3. When remove / install the transmission it's practical to use several wood block to jack it up and balance in the middle
4. I use the act pressure plate and oem release bearing & clutch disc. Also new pilot bearing. Align the PP carefully.
5. Previous owner stripped the screws connecting the bell housing between engine and transmission. I have to find special screws 5mm longer to tighten them up(from accord alternator)
6.since the subframes were lowered, I also bought and installed the spoon rigid collars.

Overall I took out and replaced the transmission 3 times due to missing this and that. Eventually I did it. Total time, maybe 3~4 weeks or 40 hours? I learned a lot of transmission and engine/flywheel knowledge.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think I got charged $400 to change my clutch which I thought was a bit steep but versus 40 hours I think I got a steal lol.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
I think I got charged $400 to change my clutch which I thought was a bit steep but versus 40 hours I think I got a steal lol.
I think If only the clutch replacement that'll be faster. But I've done additional work such as:
1. took out the flywheel and sent to a shop (Bush) to re-surface (replace new pilot bearing after that).
2. replace new transmission mounts
3. sand and re-grease the rod for clutch slave
4. clean and re-grease the shifter
5. flush clutch fluid
6. install spoon rigid collars
7. replace new bolts for header exhaust connection.
8. etc etc...

I believe the previous owner (or the shop) did a terrible job on the clutch which the parts using have design defects. See below the springs dropped out of the holders. I feel good that all the parts I bought and installed should have followed high standards.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
400 is steep? Based on what? Dealership will be over 1k easy. How much do you want to pay? Some people are likely paying around 100$ for an oil change...

Edit: that clutch above is likely an exedy oem replacement as I'm sure the OP knows
Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by starchland

400 is steep? Based on what? Dealership will be over 1k easy. How much do you want to pay? Some people are likely paying around 100$ for an oil change...

Edit: that clutch above is likely an exedy oem replacement as I'm sure the OP knows
Based on nothing except what I get charged for other work and backing into how many hours this approximates. I'm not complaining, I know what I get quoted is usually fair and there's other stuff I've had done that I thought was too cheap.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm just googled a roadtrip to Billman. Ughhh trust issues. Clutch on the S2k can't be that hard for a reputable shop... Riiiiight???
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepR
Hmmm just googled a roadtrip to Billman. Ughhh trust issues. Clutch on the S2k can't be that hard for a reputable shop... Riiiiight???
a reputable shop could handle it, but they need to be familiar with the S2000 IMO and there are lots of little tricks to help make things go smoothly. Probably the main reason I did it myself was that I wanted it done right. Torquing all of the bolts to spec is key on reinstallation, accessing the top tranny bolts is a bit tricky, dropping the subframe correctly is important, having replacement driveshaft bolts is helpful. Lubing the throwout bearing in correct fashion by filling the internal recess (lube for life of the part) is really important or you will be pulling the tranny a couple years down the road for a squeaky clutch. Probably one of the biggest mistakes made by aftermarket shops is imporper throwout bearing lube procedures and incorrect lube. Most shops will substitute a cheaper grease as the Honda hi-temp grease is very expensive. Proper hand-torqueing of the bolts and proper lubrication procedures are key details for me which makes me distrust many shops for work on an S2000. The shop needs to have done several S2000 clutch jobs in order to get it right IMO, far different than working on a fwd Civic.

As crazy as it may sound to take your car to Billman distance-wise, it really isn't a bad idea. He has gotten it down to a science and does it while you wait in short order. Definitely one shop I would not hesitate using.

Last edited by zeroptzero; 05-09-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Bring the Honda grease to Ivan, he will take care of you. Explain to them where to put it. That's what I did. I doubt you want to drive to billman with a bad clutch. I hate people touching my car as well

Quick Reply: How should I go about replacing clutch?