Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

I need some advice...

Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice...

I need some advice on my AP1 build and any advice would be well appreciated. I do not want to re-post so here's a link to my Original Post.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:45 PM

i say save the money on the cams both skunk2 and the crower cams have yet to be tested for any gains

im currently building my motor these winter months but im going stroker and turbo

it all depends on your budget

i say go with the crower valvetrain minus the cams and go with their high comppistons and i would recommend sleeves because if you are like me you will be doing more work in the coming years

if you are planning on going all motor just pace your self cash wise and mod wise do the motor build and exaust and next year concentrate on the intake side of things "itbs" and there are alot of choices out there when it comes to itbs not just toda got anymore questions feel free to pm me
Old 12-27-2006, 10:42 PM

I currently have the skunk2 cams sitting at my house. The biggest problem is I am pretty much running out of budget. I have money still to spend but wasnt initially planning on spending this much on it. My plan is to stay NA and never to hit SC/TC on my S.

ITB's would be nice, but I definalty do not want a car where I have to tune it on a daily basis. When i ultimatly turn it into a track only car, then itb's will follow.

right now the question is, do I sleeve the block and go with high comp pistons, or keep the stock pistons and rings in & mill the head, or +.25 mm pistons with new rings and mill head.

The motor is all apart right now.

If the idea is to go sleeves, what kind of sleeves, t tops?
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't understand the end game.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Dec 28 2006, 11:42 AM
I don't understand the end game.
what do you mean? the purpose of the build?

honestly.. right now... it beats the hell out of me..lol.. i got a horrible memory and dont remember why I started it...
Old 12-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think what he means is what are you ultimately looking to acheive?

what is the goal?

power? reliability? streetability? ....what?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:15 AM

a combo of increased power (but not ultimate hp numbers), reliability, and trackability without having to push the car to its ultimate limits to get my cravings satisfied. And the ability to be able to drive it when I like without having to fiddle with the car in the driveway for 20 minutes before I take off.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:18 PM

If that is what youre after, IMO youre doing the wrong things.

I think that you should slap a CTSC on it.

Youll have way more power than what youre doing. It will be more reliable than if you start playing around with tuners. And itll be way less expensive.

ITBs are a disaster. Id avoid them. Tuning each throttle body is the last thing you want to do IMO. Sound awesome but more bark than bite.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:41 PM

I dont want a SC, and itb I dont want to go that route either. I am concerned about my car being high milage since it is a daily driver and usually put somewhere around the 20-30,000 kms on it in the summer time alone. This is why I would like to "refresh" the engine and have it so it will last for quite some time with a bit more power. Maby what I should do is just keep with the +.25mm oem pistons and an aem ems and maby a port & polish for some better flow and a blueprint. That way things are "refreshed" and mildly tuned. The question would be to put the valveterrain on or not (either brian crower dual valve springs with Ti retainers, or skunk2 vs & Ti retainers or just stock retainers.)
Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 PM

So youre doing a build on a motor just because you think its old?

Was there any symptoms of it being aged aside from its kms?

Seems to me that that amount of miles shouldnt necessarily be an issue for these engines.

Did you do a compression test that suggested the seals wernt tight?

Quick Reply: I need some advice...