Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

I'm never, ever going to listen to you guys complain...

Old 10-27-2003, 04:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simon,
I understand completely, it worked out "well" for you...

Moving my date up is hard to do because I can not allow it to conflict with the Moose, and your Thanksgiving seems like a good time for that.

Problem is, even if it melts, we would need a week of hard, hard rain to really wash the streets. I was very sad I ended up driving on salted roads. But I have been out everyday since driving in the rain to rinse off the undercarriage as best I can.

And yes, if we get a few more weeks of good weather, I'll do another run. Last year our final run was 11/9, and I can still remember the little kids calling my car a Ferrari as we drove into Potter, with our tops down!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by PLYRS 3
hey doug - that sucks......sorry man.
on a side note, you ventured out in the white stuff on S0-2's?????
be careful pal........
Nimesh, thanks man!

I was on the way to the route Friday AM early, I wanted to do one last test flight. As soon as I took the exit off the Thruway I could see all the fields were covered in snow, but the roads were only wet and cold. I started up one of the lake roads, and when I say up I'm talking about some serious elevation. The higher I went, the darker it got, then it was snowing, and then I saw the plow and the salt truck coming towards me. At this point it was too late, I was committed. Because I was in denial about canceling the run at this point I kept driving the route. I really woke up when I got onto the secondary roads and they had not been plowed. So yes, S-02s in about 3" of very wet snow... This is about the time I called Skip and said please post the drive is cancelled...

Wow, was it every easy to slide the backend around and drift through corners...
Old 10-27-2003, 04:15 AM

?
Trillium BMW allows convertibles with no roll bars at Mosport
Hmmmm, that sounds great!!!

I most likely knew someone who was there, not by name but by face. So, how was it?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Triple-H
?
Trillium BMW allows convertibles with no roll bars at Mosport
Hmmmm, that sounds great!!!

I most likely knew someone who was there, not by name but by face. So, how was it?

About the rollbar, I guess they don't want to alienate the Z3 and Z4 owners from their events so yes, I had no problem getting in.

How was it??? Lets say that in the morning, with the rain and cold track and very crappy tire set up i have, I was ready to crap my pants. He're how my day began.

So I'm waiting in pit lane, my instructor was going to drive the 1st two laps to familiarize myself with the track. (the Advanced group has been on the track for their first session for about 15 minutes) So as we're waiting, the track goes full yellow.... moments later the flatbed rolls out of pit lane... and many curious momments later, returns with a blue 328 on its back with serious damage to the front right corner. Great, my previous track experience was at Shannonville which is pretty wide open, now I can see first hand that people are running into things.

So the track is cleared and my instructor takes me for the 1st few laps... I remind him that the front and rear tires are not matched and the car is a little more tail happy than most 'S'es. First thing at the end of the pit lane, the road drops away and curves to the right down a narrow concrete channel. My instructor tells me "believe it or not, people have lost it right here"... trust me I believed it. The first turn out of the pit lane is Turn 2, which is an off camber left hander, down a huge hill, with a blind apex !!! This is not helping my confidence any. 3 is a long sweeping right hander... not too bad, then 4 is just like #2, again, blind after a crest of the hill, downhill to the left. 5a is uphill to the right but blocks your vision to the turn in to 5b which flattens again. 6 is a little jog to the left, then a long uphill straightaway, the a little jog to the right (i think that's seven, but not really a curve, by now I'm little lost in the actually turn #'s) then long late apex right hander, then quick left, then 90 deg right back to the front straight. (i hope you liked my little track tour)

So anyways, we return to pit lane and swap seats to continue the session with me driving. I was pretty cautious, tiptoeing around the track, having spun in shannonville in the rain before, i didnt want to repeat it here where the run offs were less forgiving. By the 3rd lap, the black flags were out and as we came around 5b, a green M3 with NY plates was in the grass with front end, crushed back as far as the axels. Great, more examples... so the session ended there as the track crew was out to clean up the debris.

Back in the classroom session, i learned that in the first track session, the A-group, experienced 4 "teachable incidences" while the B-group had the one I just described. All of the scary stories of Mosport were comming true.

Nonetheless, we ventured back out session after session (there were only 2 group so I had 5 30 minute sessions ) After lunch, the track started to dry up so i was able to put some confidence in the grip of the tires. Then those "very scary turns" became very fun.

To cap it off, before the last session, the students rode with their instructors... My guy drove a mid 1990's 911 turbo. (400hp, 400lbs/ft) That my friends, was a complete monster. It could power by and outhandle a number of track prepared M3's that the RAVEN school instructors were driving... and we had stock Bridgestone S-03's on the car!!! He was over 240kph at the end of the straight, while i think I had the S just past 180. My body still aches a bit from bracing myself in the car.

In the end, the BMW school runs an very good program. Instruction was excellent, it was very well organized, mix throughout the day of track time, class time, and an exercise (auto-x area) so you're always busy. The track is awsome, elevation, fast corners, and a long back straight is more than enough to test any driver.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:20 AM

Doug - no real need to drive in the rain for an underbody wash.. You can always put the car up on jack stands, and hose down the underbody ? or you can also remove the wheels as well and hose down . Heck with the room in your garage, that'll be a piece of cake ?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeachBum
Old 10-27-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

........and has.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:42 AM

and on that 911 monster....Im still a lover of this car:

http://www.geocities.com/melesta63/993TT.html
Old 10-27-2003, 07:31 AM

Very cool. It pleases me to know Trillium Chapter has not excluded the Z3 and Z4. Hmmmm, could be I need to do Mosport again, it has been a while...

The destruction of cars does not surprise me at all. Mosport bites, and trust me, so does The Glen! Thanks for the info Ron!!!

Simon, thanks buddy, but driving in the rain is plenty of fun... I do feel better, because the car has been exposed to some serious downpours since Friday morning.