Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

import info?

Old 01-20-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing was payed. they let me through as a visitor. i didn't know whether i was staying in canada or not at the time

Originally Posted by darcyw
Oh, your car is already in Canada. That might make it more complicated if your plan is to plate it here. Has it already by properly imported to canada? Reported imported on the US side? Taxes paid?

cars '06 and up came with DRL's and literally don't require anything apart from filling out the RIV forms.

Remember to fax the car information to the US side of your crossing point 72 hours in advance (that's what i did). Also, one other thing US customs asked for was proof that I actually faxed them when I said I did- thankfully I took the fax record along with me. They don't tell you that specifically.

If you don't fax, you can just drop it off personally, but that means the car does not get to cross for 72 hours (again, the time frame I was told to use).

I've done this as has jvf1- mine an '03 and his, an '08- but again- from US to CAN. On the US side, they stamped the title as being exported.

darcy
Old 01-20-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember to fax the car information to the US side of your crossing point 72 hours in advance (that's what i did). Also, one other thing US customs asked for was proof that I actually faxed them when I said I did- thankfully I took the fax record along with me. They don't tell you that specifically.
One thing that I learned the hard way was that the car physically has to remain IN the united states for the 72 hours prior to exporting it from the US. I bought my AP2 off of an American friend of mine while the car was in Canada, and when I drove it down to the border to export it legal from the US and import it into Canada, they made me leave the car in the US for 3 days. I sure as hell didn't want to leave a yellow AP2 sitting in a parking lot somewhere for 3 days so I trailered it 8 hours to my aunt's in Michigan and stayed there for 3 days.

You could try to cross the border, get off the highway one exit after the border, have something to eat, and them show up to the vehicle export office and hope they won't catch you. I personally wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wrote a how to on this. The link is in my signature.

Not sure how it works when the car is already here, but if I have to guess my guess is you will not be allowed to register it here because you do not have the proper forms that the RIV needs to issue a form for you. That form is what will allow you to register the car here.

I think you may have to redo the process by taking the car back to the border, unless there is a different process for you since I'm guessing you are American and just decided to stay.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Himura357
I wrote a how to on this. The link is in my signature.

Not sure how it works when the car is already here, but if I have to guess my guess is you will not be allowed to register it here because you do not have the proper forms that the RIV needs to issue a form for you. That form is what will allow you to register the car here.

I think you may have to redo the process by taking the car back to the border, unless there is a different process for you since I'm guessing you are American and just decided to stay.
The US must allow Export first (US Customs). At that point you must declare the car as a Canadian asset (CDN Customs).

Unless you can do that from home (I doubt). You'll have to do it at the border WITH the s2000 you're trying to import (CDN Customs might want to inspect it, but I could be wrong on this point).

There might be another way however i'm skeptical especially with border processes.... They aren't flexible.

BTW. Depending on which border crossing you're going to, some have the ability to Email the Import Request as oppose to Fax. It's 2016, Faxing died in 1996 (Any indication on how flexible the border is with process).
Old 01-21-2016, 05:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

**Sorry made a little mistake
If you read the email below, it clear says that the vehicle that is being exported cannot be brought into Canada
So you would have to go back to the states, send out the e-mail and wait for 3 days before getting the car back into Canada again

And then afterwards you'll get an e-mail reply back

Old 01-21-2016, 05:59 AM

The Peace Bridge allowed for email. However I had no luck with Windsor, they wanted a Fax period.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Yup. I brought mine through at Port Huron and they required me to fax the paperwork to them in advance.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I imported my car I had the dealer fax all the paper work before I even went to go get the car. When I got it to the border I just completed all the paperwork and paid the taxes there. The border paperwork is that hard part because of processing time and all necessary paperwork. The rest is easy, just a quick inspection at a Canadian Tire and a visit to the MTO. Make sure you have a fat wallet for all the taxes at the border.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by CR EH
When I imported my car I had the dealer fax all the paper work before I even went to go get the car. When I got it to the border I just completed all the paperwork and paid the taxes there. The border paperwork is that hard part because of processing time and all necessary paperwork. The rest is easy, just a quick inspection at a Canadian Tire and a visit to the MTO. Make sure you have a fat wallet for all the taxes at the border.
you mean- PHAT wallet. I paid the 6% import tax and the federal tax of 5% at the time i crossed the border.

darcy
Old 01-21-2016, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by CR EH' timestamp='1453399446' post='23859140
you mean- PHAT wallet. I paid the 6% import tax and the federal tax of 6% at the time i crossed the border.

darcy
Credit Card and I get 1% cash back beotch!

Quick Reply: import info?