Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Mechanic Overfilled Oil

Old 05-13-2014, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic Overfilled Oil

Hey guys,

I took my car to Speedstar and provided my own oil (Amsoil). They did a MTF change, Differential and Engine Oil change. They put in 1 quart too much. On level ground, 5-10 min after engine shut off, the dipsticks reads oil passed the H on both sides. In the morning a cold check reads oil way past the H, even on the bend above the H. Equivalent to another 4 hash marks I'd say, which leads me to believe its roughly a little less than 1 qt too much. They use 5 bottles and left 100 ml left in the 6th bottle, however it doesn't mean the old oil had drained all the way when they changed the oil.

I called them and they said to bring it back and they'll sort it out. My question is, Speedstar is exactly 1 hour away from me, I live in Mississauga. All good to drive the car this far with 1 qt overfill?

I know some will say just drain a little but I cant stress enough how useless I am I have no tools and no jack stands. Unless someone here is in the area say tomorrow :-)

Thank guys for any input.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 AM

It won't harm anything, as in, do any damage.

Why not go somewhere local? No point driving an hour away just to have some oil drained out.

EDIT: I misread and thought you said 5L not almost 6L. Yes this is bad. I would have the excess oil drained immediately.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 AM

I've taken my evo and sti to these guys over the years. Awesome guys.

http://www.nextlevelautomotive.ca/
Old 05-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil filter should hold half a liter or so. Just unscrew the oil filter, drain it and tighten it back up. Start it up for a couple seconds and check the level again. It should bring you pretty close to the appropriate fill range.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
The oil filter should hold half a liter or so. Just unscrew the oil filter, drain it and tighten it back up. Start it up for a couple seconds and check the level again. It should bring you pretty close to the appropriate fill range.
By hand, from the hood? Won't this make a disaster. My engine bay is soooo clean.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

if they filled 5.9 bottles worth then that's only about 0.4 too much... I think s2kjizzer's method is the easiest
Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by NewFormula
By hand, from the hood? Won't this make a disaster. My engine bay is soooo clean.
Yes, the oil will trickle down to the floor so put a bucket undernieth or do it in a ditch somewhere. Buy a can of brake cleaner and a few rags and that solves your problem. If not then you'll have to bring It to the closest local shop to drain some oil out if your uncomfortable with doing so yourself.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by afzan
if they filled 5.9 bottles worth then that's only about 0.4 too much... I think s2kjizzer's method is the easiest
It seems way more than 0.4 overfill on the dipstick. I think maybe the old oil didn't drain out enough before they put the new oil in.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 AM

You can easily take the oil filter by hand and tight it the same way. I do it myself and never had a problem. Have done it now for 4 oil changes... Just have something underneath to grab the excess that will fall out.

Sent from my LT30a using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 11:43 AM

The oil filter thing is easy if you don't have the stock airbox.

Some people use oil siphons that can get it out of the top. Can't you just use a transfer pump? $10 from princess auto.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Overfilled Oil