S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   Montreal F1 2018 Hotel Recommendation (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/montreal-f1-2018-hotel-recommendation-1180781/)

TheLast13 01-08-2018 05:34 AM

Montreal F1 2018 Hotel Recommendation

Hey guys,

The wife and I are thinking of going to the F1 race in Montreal this year. Has anyone gone before. We need a recommendation on where to stay that is close to the track. Im hoping I can walk to the track but from what Im reading it doesn't sound possible. I know its going to be pricey, but this is a once in a decade kind of thing, so its worth it.
Or at least an area thats close to transit to get to the track, I heard someone say to take a ferry to the track, is a cheap and easy way that not a lot of people use.

any have a recommendation?

thanks everyone!

TL13

Himura357 01-08-2018 07:04 AM

We went a few year years back. We used a hotel that was cheaper because it was further out from the city. I don't recommend that. It would have been better to have a hotel in the city close to the subway.

The subway is crazy busy to the track, but I would imagine trying any other way (except ferry, that sounds good) would be worse.

The stands were INSANELY uncomfortable. Bring a super strong, super comfy cushion to sit on. This is the best advice ever. lol. Many people dont even pay for the stands, just general admission and they find a nice spot on the lawn and they can still see the screens.

Make sure to visit Shwartz smoked meat for a sandwich. I brought a few to the track!

darcyw 01-08-2018 05:05 PM

PM JVF1. He's been going to the Montreal F1 for the past several decades.
darcy

starchland 01-08-2018 08:26 PM

Also, bring a cooler full of beer to the race ;)

Toyonda002 01-09-2018 09:21 AM

Buddies and I went 2 years ago for a bachelor. We did an air bnb that wasn't too far away with a cab. Quite the experience for sure

Canadian144 01-09-2018 09:49 AM

I've been every year for about 5 years now.

IMO the easiest way of getting to/from the track is to uber/cab there and take the metro back. One time (after a few too many beers) we attempted to walk back from the track, which proved to be a terrible idea.

I would suggest staying at a hotel downtown - somewhere near "Dorchester Square" on google maps would be ideal. Part of the attraction of F1 weekend, IMO, is all of the street festivities and the constant parade of exotic cars throughout downtown, especially along Saint Catherines.

jvf1 01-10-2018 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheLast13 (Post 24404574)
Hey guys,

The wife and I are thinking of going to the F1 race in Montreal this year. Has anyone gone before. We need a recommendation on where to stay that is close to the track. Im hoping I can walk to the track but from what Im reading it doesn't sound possible. I know its going to be pricey, but this is a once in a decade kind of thing, so its worth it.
Or at least an area thats close to transit to get to the track, I heard someone say to take a ferry to the track, is a cheap and easy way that not a lot of people use.

any have a recommendation?

thanks everyone!

TL13

I have been going to the F1 race in Montreal almost every year since 1980 and have tried everything from camping to hotels to apartments, in the City, near the City, south shore, etc.
Be prepared for hotels to jack their rates up and most require a minimum 3-night booking on race weekend.
our best success the last few years has been to book small private apartments through AirBnB near the Old Montreal district.
You don't need a car once you are there. We always pick a spot within a short walk to a Metro station and near Old Montreal. There are tons of great bars and restaurants in Old Town and that is where all the F1 parties are happening. Great fun to wander the streets there in the evenings.
As you know the track is on an island (Ile Notre Dame) and best way there is the Metro. We buy a 3-day pass for the weekend and use the Metro exclusively for getting to and from the track and around town.
I would recommend buying grandstand tickets as there is very little general admission viewing remaining.
They sell a trio package which would be great if you haven't been before. You choose your raceday grandstand and then they give you diffetent grandstands for a Friday practice and Saturday Quali so you get to see some different areas of the circuit.
Anyway, I hope you go and enjoy it. I never miss it.
Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Curt (jvf1)

TheLast13 01-10-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Canadian144 (Post 24405163)
I've been every year for about 5 years now.

IMO the easiest way of getting to/from the track is to uber/cab there and take the metro back. One time (after a few too many beers) we attempted to walk back from the track, which proved to be a terrible idea.

I would suggest staying at a hotel downtown - somewhere near "Dorchester Square" on google maps would be ideal. Part of the attraction of F1 weekend, IMO, is all of the street festivities and the constant parade of exotic cars throughout downtown, especially along Saint Catherines.

I found that on the map, I see where the Metro is. That area looks promising, lots of hotels in that area. That sounds like exactly what Im looking for! Cars and food, is really all I need.

Originally Posted by jvf1 (Post 24405409)
I have been going to the F1 race in Montreal almost every year since 1980 and have tried everything from camping to hotels to apartments, in the City, near the City, south shore, etc.
Be prepared for hotels to jack their rates up and most require a minimum 3-night booking on race weekend.
our best success the last few years has been to book small private apartments through AirBnB near the Old Montreal district.
You don't need a car once you are there. We always pick a spot within a short walk to a Metro station and near Old Montreal. There are tons of great bars and restaurants in Old Town and that is where all the F1 parties are happening. Great fun to wander the streets there in the evenings.
As you know the track is on an island (Ile Notre Dame) and best way there is the Metro. We buy a 3-day pass for the weekend and use the Metro exclusively for getting to and from the track and around town.
I would recommend buying grandstand tickets as there is very little general admission viewing remaining.
They sell a trio package which would be great if you haven't been before. You choose your raceday grandstand and then they give you diffetent grandstands for a Friday practice and Saturday Quali so you get to see some different areas of the circuit.
Anyway, I hope you go and enjoy it. I never miss it.
Any specific questions, feel free to PM me.
Curt (jvf1)

Sent you back a PM. Ill be there Thursday and leaving Monday, to miss all the goofy traffic. Its only 9 hours back to Ohio, so Monday will be a travel day for me. I will be in a grandstand, probably 12, unless I do as you suggested and get that trio package.

thanks everyone for the helpful hints!

TheLast13 04-17-2018 02:32 PM

Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks. I got my tickets and hotel all squared away. We are excited to go! Grandstand 12 section 2

thanks for all the advice and suggestions.