Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Motorcycle riders: helmet choice?

Old 08-23-2004, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle riders: helmet choice?

Hey guys,

Now that I have my insurance settlement, I'm on to my next vehicle - the Honda Ruckus (Zoomer in Japan). It's a 49cc 4.9PS monster! I'm using it for commuting downtown to work on nice days. It looks like a lot of fun. Hoping to pick one up this weekend.

Anyway, wondering what helmet I need for this. I figured given it goes a maximum of 60km/h, I don't believe I need a full face helmet. The guys at Cycleworld, however, believe it's the best way to go. Is this really the recommended safe route or are they just trying to upsell me to a more expensive helmet?

I've ridden bicycles at up to 40 km/h and I've never felt the need for a full face helmet!

Would appreciate input from the bike riders on the forum. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:20 PM

not sure what you need.. but it's your head... get as much protection for it as you can... open face has certain part of the head not covered... it's really up to you... just my 2 cents.. i don't have much knowledge in that subject
Old 08-23-2004, 07:40 PM
Former Moderator

Dude, get a full face helmet, your face will be wrecked if you go down the wrong way.

For actual riding, I only use Shoei helemts, for mucking around on my YSR, or in the car I use my AFX, which is an offshoot of the head guys at HJC ( also a good helmet ) it was reasonbly priced, and if it takes to many hits, I'll just get a new one
Old 08-23-2004, 07:48 PM

Oh, okay, so the guy was not full of BS. All right then, I'll look into the full face ones. Thanks a lot Mike.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:17 PM

Mike,

Quick question: Does it make a difference that the SHOEI RJ-AIR platinum open-face helmet is SNELL approved?

Or, is open-faced still open faced? I just don't want to go overkill given I'm only riding a scooter, i.e., limited to low speeds.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm coming across as stupid; first time trying out a bike. And no, I will not be allowed to upgrade to anything faster than this so "future consideration" is not really an issue for me.

Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

All helmets sold in Canada for street operated motorcycles must have a DOT and Snell rating. In this, you need not worry. Get the helmet in a price range that you think your head is worth.
Have you seen someone who has done a face plant off a motorcycle? I have. It ain't pretty and it don't take a lot of speed to break your jaw and scrape your nose off. A chin guard is a real good thing. Either get it in a full face or one that you can add the chin piece on as an attachment. You can find these more in the off road type of helmet (motocross) but keep in mind that these do not necessarily require the same DOT specs.
If you are riding a small bike, when you fall, it's not far to hit the ground. This makes it a bit less time to get there. On a full size bike, I feel there is a bit more time to "duck". While you usually suffer more serious injury on a faster, bigger bike, you tend to have a split second longer to "turtle".
Arai, Shoei are good brands. If you go with a full face, make sure it has a good rachetting face shield that is easy to lift up with gloves on and makes a good seal when down. Also, get a model that has vents. It can get a bit hot when you have the shield down and the vents help a little bit. For what you need, something in the $150.00 to $200.00 range should do nicely, but more is always better.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:24 AM
Former Moderator

As Dave says, open face helemets are still Snell approved, they are rated for impacts under certain circumstances, obviously, you can get away with this under the law, I'm just trying to give you the benifit of my experience.

Full face with the visor up is not far off a full face anyway, not enough to convince me anyway.

I've taken of chin skin on my driveway on a bicycle, and a few MPH to that, and as they say shit happens
Old 08-24-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, oh I heard a rumour .......................................
Vince might be selling his open face helmet. Seems it doesn't fit quite the way he would like when put on backwards.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SAIYAJIN, buy a full face helmet. Period.

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Aug 23 2004, 10:40 PM
For actual riding, I only use Shoei helemts...
Mike,

My Motorcycle helmet (M1995) is a RF-700 Shoei, I will be replacing it late 2005 or early 2006 so I can jump up to a M2005, I'm looking at the X-Eleven or the RF-1000, I just love the quality of the brand. My first mcy helmet was a Bieffe, and it was okay, the biggest problem is I bought it too big.

And as a side note, I just bought a SA2000 G-Force
Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I'm now looking at 4 different ones, all full-face flip up helmets. From what I've read, these are best if you wear glasses.

Shoei Syncrotec - most expensive ($600)
HJC Sy Max ($350)
Nolan N100 ($300)
HJC CL Max ($200)

From the reviews I've read which one to get appears to depend on which fits best.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle riders: helmet choice?