Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

My Dad Has A Question

Old 01-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Dad Has A Question

My parents have a 97 CR-V, which is the B-series motor. The idea me and my dad had is, when the engine goes dead in the CR-V, take it out, rebuild it, use it in another car. The questions are this. Can vtec be added to this engine? Would an s2000 transmission work with this engine? He wants to put it in a real wheel drive car right.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes... search up b20 vtec! not the most reliable motor but pretty powerful.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Yes it can have vtec, it will require a vtec head from another B series motor. It cannot work with s2000 transmission without a ton of custom work, it would not be worth it.
I dont really understand what you're trying to build but it honestly doesn't seem like you know either..?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Sell the Crv for 2k or whatever and buy an ap1 motor with tranny for your project.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad wants to build a 32-36 ford with a honda motor. I suggested takin the CR-V motor and rebuilding it for the car, cause I thought it was a K-series engine. I looked it up, and only the newer CR-Vs are the K's. My bad on that hah. He still thought it would be cool though, super gas mileage was the idea, with a fairly fast car, cool looking car.

What kind of custom work would be needed? Crazy custom work? The engine would probably be much better than the F20 on gas anyways.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by FluKy15,Jan 8 2011, 08:51 PM
My dad wants to build a 32-36 ford with a honda motor. I suggested takin the CR-V motor and rebuilding it for the car, cause I thought it was a K-series engine. I looked it up, and only the newer CR-Vs are the K's. My bad on that hah. He still thought it would be cool though, super gas mileage was the idea, with a fairly fast car, cool looking car.

What kind of custom work would be needed? Crazy custom work? The engine would probably be much better than the F20 on gas anyways.
A stock F20c would probably provide more power and have comparable gas mileage to a B20vtec... and would be RWD out of the box.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 PM

fluky does it again.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:56 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

better off buying an f20c, you will die before that motor goes lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:40 AM

IIRC the B series engines spin the wrong way. So when he gets the engine hooked up to the axle in his chassis he will have five or six reverse gears and one forward gear. Not exactly useful.

AFAIK, all Honda C, F, J, and K engines spin the correct way and would be good candidates to adapt to a longitudinal transmission.

Adapting these engines to a T-5 transmission could be the way to go. It's a light, relatively strong transmission in WC/World-Class form. They have a bit of a bad reputation in muscle car circles but I can't see any stockish Honda engine having enough torque to break it. You would have to make your own adapter.

I'm not certain if Honda uses the same bellhousing pattern as Toyota. If they do then it should be possible to adapt any of the Aisin-Warner transmissions to the Honda engine.

This is all speculation on my part. IF you have an image of the bell pattern on the engine you could browse this thread:

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.ph...wap+bellhousing

to see if there are any similarites as this has a big Toyota overlay to it.

If you don't follow what I'm talking about, just do a F20 with six speed. Tons easier. The difference in MPG between a B and a F driving a brick like a 1930s car through the air is probably not measurable.

I'm mildly interested in this. I've been thinking about adapting a J engine to a Jeep AW4/ Toyota A340 transmission. All my Jeeps are under 200k kms though so it's just a pipe dream until they get to at least 500k kms. If you pursue this let us know what you come up with.

HTH
Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 AM

Buy an s2000 motor if you want a honda motor in an old car like that- Even then, an LSX would be similar in cost and produce twice the power.

Quick Reply: My Dad Has A Question