S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Southern Ontario S2000 Owners (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/)
-   -   My new 500whp S2k - TUNE ME PLEASE (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/southern-ontario-s2000-owners-195/my-new-500whp-s2k-tune-me-please-1138650/)

turtlepower 11-10-2015 09:26 PM

My new 500whp S2k - TUNE ME PLEASE

Tune

kryptonite 11-11-2015 05:19 AM

I may have missed this but do you have a built differential, and probably some axles?

Our cars diff is made of glass so your best bet is not launching it unless you get a proper one.

2 you can do boost by gear but I don't think that will solve your problem.

Get your drivetrain in order and talk to APH to make sure your tune is clean / if you want to do the boost by gear

lpcome 11-11-2015 05:43 AM

Personally I've seen OP's turbo mod ( remember? met at tire23 few days ago to trade my AP1 tails) and everything was nice and clean including the battery relocation mod.

From power output perspective I don't think there's much space to improve but I'll agree with kryptonite that a better differential will help. A better set of tires may contribute a bit as well. Tune the vtec kick-in from 6000 RPM to a bit lower could be another option but OP may not like it.

s2jizzer 11-11-2015 06:28 AM

How does first gear cut off at 7000? What do you mean when you say first gear is nothing? How is it a mission to get second right? Do you need me to slap a few gears in your car for you? Lmk

iDomN8U 11-11-2015 11:57 AM

If you're having traction issues. Wider tires in the rear, reduce boost by gear, don't power shift into 2nd with the power your making. 2nd Gear will explode before any other gear.

From your explanation it sounds that your tranny is fubar'd however I might just be reading it wrong

Nelsonr31 11-11-2015 03:57 PM

The car is horrible off the line probably due to the OEM trans and diff, I bet boost by gear was set up that way to save the weak drivetrain to a certain extent.
If you want a hard launching turbo S2000 with OEM drivetrain then you bought the wrong car. Get ready to start dishing out the cash if you countiusly are ripping 1-2-3 gear pulls.
I baby my 540whp turbo S2000 because no matter what part you change to strengthen there will always be a weak link. First it's the diff next it's the transmission.
But to your OP first gear shouldn't be falling flat on its face at 7000rpm, even a small amount of boost in first will light shit up. Sounds like you may need to have some attention set to the tune.
My boost by gear goes as follows
1-10lbs(wastegate spring)
2-12lbs
3-6 17lbs
And I can't keep tires from spinning until mid 4th gear. Also keep in mind spinning might be a good thing, if you put a stickier tire on and are able to dead hook 1 or 2 gear then it's almost a guarantee you will be breaking shit.
One more thing, tunes cost money. Highly doubt anyone here that can tune will randomly meet up to help you out without some sort of fee. Dyno tune sessions average $500 a pop, my suggestion is to have your car tuned on a dynapack if you plan on just street cruising.

turtlepower 11-11-2015 04:14 PM

Hey Guys thanks for all the advice and repsonses. Perhaps I shouldnt have been to vague in my post. I apologize for that. Let me clarify.

I rarely rip the car. I understand the s2k drivetrain is not built for this type of power. So I would imagine that boost by gear would help tremendously, especially with 1st gear. Right now 1st gear cuts throttle at 7000 rpm, and there it seems vtec never kicks in. Im assuming this is a defense put in place. 2nd gear has very little traction at all.... again 'boost by gear' should help this out.

Again, I dont plan on ripping this car around town in 1-2-3. Nor do I plan on buring out and launching the car like a maniac. But I miss my first s2k where first gears VTEC kicks in and laucnhes the car for me. Id even be happy with first gear haveing NO boost, but VTEC only. 2nd gear having 1/3 of the boost that 3rd and 4th have. I think that should solve my problem. I came from an STI, so I understand that this car isnt designed to have the traction that car has, but it has many other things that are more appealing to me, so I just want to tune this car to be the best it can be... FOR my driving style.

Now as for the Differential. I am not sure if its built or not. Thanks Nelson for the first hand advice since you do own a 500+ hp s2k. What you say makes perfect sense. As well as everyone elses response.

s2jizzer 11-11-2015 04:26 PM

Bring the car to APH, explain to him what you want out of the car and he can point you in the right direction and tune the car the best he can to suit your needs.

Nelsonr31 11-11-2015 05:27 PM

Tony at Dynamotorsports has good experience tuning the f20,f22. I highly suggest having it tuned but if you only plan on driving it spring/summer then I would wait until next spring before a tune. As for first gear cutting throttle at 7000 might have something to do with boost cut, it is colder out now and the car was probably originally tuned in a warmer OAT, I occasionally hit my boost cut from time to time in this type of weather if I hadn't spooled the car a couple times(warmed the turbo up sort of speak) prior to a WOT pull. You can not have no boost in first gear, that's impossible with any turbo car. To be completely honest with you I don't notice vtec at all, I know it works but it's not the same feeling nor sound as in NA form. Do you have a boost gauge or AFR gauge? Do you know what your boost is in any gear? Do you know what size spring is in the wastegate?
Boost by gear is ok but boost by speed is waaaayyyy better. Generally Boost by speed works by having an ABS style mounted sensor to a non driven wheel(front wheel in our case) as an input to the ecu as true speed then boost controlled by the corresponding true vehicle speed.

Nelsonr31 11-11-2015 05:30 PM

Also your clutch engagement point isn't an indicator of whether the clutch is on its way out or not, my brand new stage4 clutch grabs high as well. If it's not slipping under high load then it's relatively ok.