Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

My new S2k! Time to Turbo!

Old 05-20-2016, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new S2k! Time to Turbo!

Hey guys,

So I finally settled with insurance. Happy with the outcome, I started my hunt again. I actually ended up buying the 2003 Supercharged 350z. Although it is a unique beast of its own, after driving it for a week, I didn't get the same crisp feeling I had in a s2000.

That being said. Although Insurance gave me a decent payout, Im still out quite a bit as I have decided to go Turbo again. So here I am asking for advice and help. I am budgeted, so will be sourcing the parts used and new from various sources. I do know that certain parts need to match and everything needs to make sense in order to work together. My goal is to make 350-450 WHP. Again i am budgeted so will need to buy used parts. This is what I plan on attaining. Please feel free to advise or critique as much as possible!

Turbo Build

- Precision 5858/5558/6262 or Garret GT3076R - one thing Im a bit confused with is the Ar housing, and t4 or t3 flange. Im assuming it needs to match the downpipe?
- Manifold - I have no idea what type to get. I had a fullblown twin scroll sidewinder on my last one. I am looking for quicker spool and lower HP numbers, so should I aim for something else?
- Downpipe
- 70-75 Single catback exhaust
- High flow cat
- 1000 CC Injectors
- Front mount intercooler - does it matter what type? as long as it fits and rated for my specfic HP goals?
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- Mishimoto / Koyo Radiator
- Tial Wastegate
- Any blow off valve
- Competition clutch and lightweight flywheel
- hondata 4 Bar map sensor
- AEM EMs V1
- Custom Tune - thinking either Brian from APH or Tony the Tiger
- Intercooler Piping - Should I get it custom made or buy a set?
- Oil feed and return kit - anything specific?
- Gauges

I understand that there may be odds and ends in the process - like fusebox/battery relocating etc. I just want to cover the main things.

Should I just buy a whole KIT? Or is it possible to buy used and source out? HMMM
Old 05-21-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Congrats on the new S, that is a pretty rare combo, I think it was only available in Canada if I'm not mistaken. The all blue interior is a bit "bright", but this should look pretty cool.

Stay away from shady shops this time, good luck with the build !
Old 05-21-2016, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garrett GTX 3076R Turbo on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-e...rbo/1157603640
Peter from Speed academy is selling this, you can see in the Porsche build he bought it brand new so his word has credibility that it is actually new besides the dyno run
Old 05-21-2016, 08:35 AM

Congrats! Love the blue interior!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:07 AM

Congrats! I cant help but find it humerous that you only owned the 350Z for a week before switching out. haha

I would vouche for Brian from APH on the tune, they did the tune on my STI before I owned it and have been very helpful to me after the fact.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:52 AM

Thanks guys! I still own the 350z. I am trying to sell it Cant keep em both unfortunately.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

link to 350z?
Old 05-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

You are a wise man Tyler, nothing compares to an S unless you have $100K + to spend.

Have you thought about a supercharger instead of a turbo? There are some benefits.

Your car looks great, just need to make the changes you want to make it yours.

Happy to see you back!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 3,370 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by s2jizzer
Garrett GTX 3076R Turbo on Kijiji http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-e...rbo/1157603640
Peter from Speed academy is selling this, you can see in the Porsche build he bought it brand new so his word has credibility that it is actually new besides the dyno run
I seen his Porsche turbo build when I delivered the S2000 parts that I sold him on the Ass2000 build. I fell in love with that car instantly.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:21 PM

I'm almost finished with my turbo build, and after all was said and done, you'd honestly be better off finding a used kit if you're on a budget. I pieced mine together, and there was a lot of time wasted waiting on parts I wouldn't have even known that I needed or existed lol, and it probably ended up costing what a kit goes for anyways,

Here's some answers that might help:

- Precision 5858/5558/6262 or Garret GT3076R - one thing Im a bit confused with is the Ar housing, and t4 or t3 flange. Im assuming it needs to match the downpipe? - the 3076 is a good choice for your goals, if you want to go cheaper, the 6262 or 5858 wouldn't be bad. the A/R housing has to match your manifold, and from what I've learned, you'll be better off with the t3 up to 450, even 500.
- Manifold - I have no idea what type to get. I had a fullblown twin scroll sidewinder on my last one. I am looking for quicker spool and lower HP numbers, so should I aim for something else? - the quickest spools are given with a log manifold, but you're restricting a lot of top end for it. I'd go with a tubular manifold, and then you choose front mount or ram, etc... I'm running a front mount and didn't have to relocate much for it to work
- Downpipe - best option is to get it with your manifold, I think most are 3"
- 70-75 Single catback exhaust - depending on the kit/downpipe, you might need to go custom
- High flow cat - I'm all about being green...but don't bother with this
- 1000 CC Injectors - ID or FIC
- Front mount intercooler - does it matter what type? as long as it fits and rated for my specfic HP goals? - don't think the brand matters, just make sure it fits between the frame rails and you don't have to hack anything to fit it
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- Mishimoto / Koyo Radiator - mishimoto isn't the best, not too sure about the koyo's, for my build I'm sticking with stock and upgrading the fans
- Tial Wastegate
- Any blow off valve - stay away from reps or no names if you can
- Competition clutch and lightweight flywheel - will be stiffer and a bit harder to drive than stock. with your power, the ACT pressure plate and oem disk should hold. Remember clutches are rated for how much torque they can hold, not HP
- hondata 4 Bar map sensor
- AEM EMs V1
- Custom Tune - thinking either Brian from APH or Tony the Tiger
- Intercooler Piping - Should I get it custom made or buy a set? - depends how handy you are, but try and get it with your kit
- Oil feed and return kit - anything specific? - depends on turbo for feed lines, for drains go with -10AN, I had custom lines made but vibrant sells these pre made
- Gauges - AFR, boost, and oil pressure. I'm on flash pro so I'm running these, I think there's a serial gauge for the AEM EMS that shows something like 20 values, might save you a few bucks.

One thing I tried to do a lot of is heat protect. I have a/c lines, vacuum lines, wires all wrapped in gold foil, and wrapped my downpipe in exhaust wrap and I'm still worried, I might have to vent my hood.

Either way, good luck, I learned a lot building mine and I can't wait to get it started

Quick Reply: My new S2k! Time to Turbo!