Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

My new S2k! Time to Turbo!

Old 05-22-2016, 06:24 AM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by husseinj3
I'm almost finished with my turbo build, and after all was said and done, you'd honestly be better off finding a used kit if you're on a budget. I pieced mine together, and there was a lot of time wasted waiting on parts I wouldn't have even known that I needed or existed lol, and it probably ended up costing what a kit goes for anyways,

Here's some answers that might help:

- Precision 5858/5558/6262 or Garret GT3076R - one thing Im a bit confused with is the Ar housing, and t4 or t3 flange. Im assuming it needs to match the downpipe? - the 3076 is a good choice for your goals, if you want to go cheaper, the 6262 or 5858 wouldn't be bad. the A/R housing has to match your manifold, and from what I've learned, you'll be better off with the t3 up to 450, even 500.
- Manifold - I have no idea what type to get. I had a fullblown twin scroll sidewinder on my last one. I am looking for quicker spool and lower HP numbers, so should I aim for something else? - the quickest spools are given with a log manifold, but you're restricting a lot of top end for it. I'd go with a tubular manifold, and then you choose front mount or ram, etc... I'm running a front mount and didn't have to relocate much for it to work
- Downpipe - best option is to get it with your manifold, I think most are 3"
- 70-75 Single catback exhaust - depending on the kit/downpipe, you might need to go custom
- High flow cat - I'm all about being green...but don't bother with this
- 1000 CC Injectors - ID or FIC
- Front mount intercooler - does it matter what type? as long as it fits and rated for my specfic HP goals? - don't think the brand matters, just make sure it fits between the frame rails and you don't have to hack anything to fit it
- Walbro Fuel Pump
- Mishimoto / Koyo Radiator - mishimoto isn't the best, not too sure about the koyo's, for my build I'm sticking with stock and upgrading the fans
- Tial Wastegate
- Any blow off valve - stay away from reps or no names if you can
- Competition clutch and lightweight flywheel - will be stiffer and a bit harder to drive than stock. with your power, the ACT pressure plate and oem disk should hold. Remember clutches are rated for how much torque they can hold, not HP
- hondata 4 Bar map sensor
- AEM EMs V1
- Custom Tune - thinking either Brian from APH or Tony the Tiger
- Intercooler Piping - Should I get it custom made or buy a set? - depends how handy you are, but try and get it with your kit
- Oil feed and return kit - anything specific? - depends on turbo for feed lines, for drains go with -10AN, I had custom lines made but vibrant sells these pre made
- Gauges - AFR, boost, and oil pressure. I'm on flash pro so I'm running these, I think there's a serial gauge for the AEM EMS that shows something like 20 values, might save you a few bucks.

One thing I tried to do a lot of is heat protect. I have a/c lines, vacuum lines, wires all wrapped in gold foil, and wrapped my downpipe in exhaust wrap and I'm still worried, I might have to vent my hood.

Either way, good luck, I learned a lot building mine and I can't wait to get it started
Replace the rad. I'm sure you know that fans do nothing for cooling at speed. Good info otherwise.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Congrats on the new S, that is a pretty rare combo, I think it was only available in Canada if I'm not mistaken. The all blue interior is a bit "bright", but this should look pretty cool.

Stay away from shady shops this time, good luck with the build !

Thanks, Yeah I like the combo. Although I have always liked white and red/ the blue is growing on me.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:23 PM

Ah I just wrote a huge reponse and got messed up for some reason.

zeroptzero - thanks yeah the interior is growing on me. But I think I would prefer red (hinting a possible trade)

CREH & Hfreak - Yeah the Z is /was fun but I have WAY more fun in an S. The Z is comfortable at 70 Percent of the time Im engaged. The S engages me ALL the time! I enjoyed every minute of the 17 hour ride home from Nova Scotia. And I agree the S feels so well built for its price. Im looking forward to making it my own! I have considered supercharging, but there is something about the turbo lag that I enjoy. The anticipation, the calm before the storm. Like a Jet about to take off. And the noises. Oh the noises!

husseinj3 - I dont know where to start. Thanks so much for your input and tips. Seems like you're having fun with your build! I kind of want to build the kit (or as much of it as I can), as I would feel like I had a more involved role in the the development of the build. I learned a lot from your post thank you.

I think its easy to get the first part - the turbo (plan on using 5858 or 6262) with a T3 flange, but when it comes to the Manifold, Downpipe, intercooler and piping ( would I have to buy as a kit together? From what I understood, the manifold, and downpipe have to match, and as long as the turbo has the same flange and ar housing? it can all work together. And as far as the intercooler - should I buy one that fits and have a shop fabricate the piping? I would go Custom catback with muffler of my choice (I have a a 3" 5zigen muffler already),

I think the easier parts would to attain would be the things like - wasteagte, bov, injectors, fuel pump, radiator, AEM EMS, map sensor, etc.
And of course the odds and ends the builder would do - fuel lines, heat protection, relocation, tuning, etc.

Can anyone see anything that Im missing in terms of what to expect and what to look for?
Old 05-22-2016, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by GoP-Demon
link to 350z?

Heres a link to my Z. Im already losing money on it. I just want it gone now, so I can make room for the turbo build. I may even consider parting it out If I dont get the right offers. Lots of juicy goodies in there.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1164921129
Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You put your address in the ad again...
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by haga888
You put your address in the ad again...
Well technically he wants this one gone so...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Haha no its an adress to a condominium 10 minutes away
Old 05-22-2016, 09:10 PM

BTW, what do you guys think of this?

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/115...rbo-hot-parts/
Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 PM

it's fun and frustrating, but I know it'll be worth it in the end.
You can come check it out if you want, that address on that posting is about 10 minutes from my place, and I could give you a hand if you're doing it yourself.

The turbo hot side has an inlet side and an outlet side. The inlet has to match your manifold, and the exit has to match the downpipe. The other part of the turbo is the compressor, and that goes to your intercooler. Usually when people sell a manifold they'll sell the downpipe with it, but if not you can always get one made - probably be more expensive if you're not doing it yourself.

I actually jumped in and bought a kit from someone here last year, before looking in to it. Once I figured out what I really wanted I ended up parting it out and starting over - just know what you want before you buy anything just because you think you're getting a deal...trust me